Is Might & Magic Platinum (VI, VII, VIII) worth purchasi
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Is Might & Magic Platinum (VI, VII, VIII) worth purchasi

I found it on Ebay, for $14 inlcuding shipping and handling. I haven't played the series for almost ten years, and even back when I played it I didn't pay much attention to the story or details (I rushed through HALF of each one of them, and never bothered with finishing either).

So do you think they could provide some worthy game play experience today? Also, I have a very powerful PC, and I'm afraid that they will "fly" on my machine and I would have to find some way to slow them down.

Last edited by NeverDark on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:49 pm
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

you meant to say 1, 2, and 3...right? Because the M&M series ended at 9. Well, the RPG part of the series did. To be honest, everything after World of Xeen sucked anyway, so anything after 5 is garbage.

As for them running fast, try DOS box. It's a Dos Emulator, and I use it to run everything from Daggerfall to Ultima 7. You need to mess around with CPU cycle speeds until you find each game's "sweet spot", but it's worth it.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:56 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I guess he meant 6-8.

I wouldn´t waste my time with them unless you´re dying to play an old school RPG. And even then there are better choices, I think.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:13 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Looks like I must testify for the defense. MM6 and MM7 were classics, thru and thru. MM8 was a decent game, although it was a letdown after the previous two editions. The graphics weren't much back in the day, let alone by today's standards, but the gameplay was stellar. As Gorath mentions, it's old school RPG. I'm pretty sure that the Platinum set came with a copy of DOSBox, although you can get Windows to run them at a playable speed with a little tinkering.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:54 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Heh, sorry for the confusion with Roman numerals, fixed now Still I don't see a decisive opinion. Some of you like the games, some of you don't. What other better choices of games are available?
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you don´t mind outdated graphics you could give one of the Spiderweb games a try. They have demo versions which can be unlocked, I think.
Playing Ultima 7 with Exult is also an idea. Or replay Fallout.

I lost interest in M&M 6 and 7 after 20 hours or so, although I loved part 3-5.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:07 pm
Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
Heh, sorry for the confusion with Roman numerals, fixed now Still I don't see a decisive opinion. Some of you like the games, some of you don't. What other better choices of games are available?

If you're after other first-person party-based games with mouse-look, then I rate Wizards and Warriors to be better, warts and all (though many find that debatable), and Wizardry 8 much much better (not as debatable).

Wizardry 8 is much less "old" looking (proper OpenGL 3d) and has good phase-based combat.

I never thought much of the M&M series to be honest, but VI and VII would have to be the better two. VIII is disappointing, and IX is utter dreck.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:17 pm
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

All three are very similar, with 7 being the best imo. It's worth the purchase, that's around 300 hours of great rpg gaming if you do everything the game offers.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:24 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wizardry-8-PC-CDRom-Game_W0QQitemZ8738776208QQcategoryZ80329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wa la

um what is that 26$ well no steal certainly but i promise you that is the best game like that. might and magic 6 7 8 is going to take you longer... but wizardry 8 is a loooong game and its a lot cooler.

i dont know if i do like wizards and warriors more than that 3 game deal though. wizards and warriors is nice in a way but it is way shorter than your might and magic games. it is similar though.
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Wizards and Warriors was a bugfest. It could have been a really good game, but Activision rushed it out the door and then abandoned it.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:57 pm