View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Need advises on creating party in TOEE

quote:
"You can have five player characters in the party, and you have full control over these characters. You can also have up to three followers, which are NPC’s that join the party." - Tim Cain.

The game will coming out soon, and i think some players will spend couple hours just to build up a good adventuring party. Some people even spend weeks in advence to plan a good party, or party that suit their own playing style. Not many people familiar with D&D rule set, especially the new D&D 3.5 rule set. So what suggestions you have to make a balanced adventuring party, an uber-powergaming party, or strictly role-playing party?
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:32 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well hard to say from here.

I plan to make a very challenging party. Probably no fighters.

Just like NWN and baldurs gate, writing d and d into a computer game requires lots of spells and effects.

I think youre cheating yourself not using mostly spell casters.

I played nwn through with a barbarian and I regretted it, because there are so many spells and effects. You only get one character in that game so I missed out on a lot of the game.

So, well Ill decide when I get there.
But, someone in my first party is going to be able to cast druid spells, cleric spells, and magic user spells. So 4 spell casters and maybe 5.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:48 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Well, let us see. Balanced party ultimately depends on the game. I haven't seen ToEE yet (duh!) so I can only suggest very typical fighter (any class) - rogue - cleric (generic) - mage (any class) + any one on your choice, probably another mage. Powerful party again is very different for different situations, but 2+ mages are must for power IMO. Roleplaying party... depends entirely on the roles you prefer. Wandering band of wine-hungry monks will do fine Well, maybe not for ToEE. I think will talk about party composition after game is released, but I think that it is fine to use any party you like as long as you feel for it.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:54 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, use a bard,if they have them, to see the music effects.

So, Druid, Cleric, Bard, two magic users is my party. One is generic one is maybe a sorcerer.

If your goal is power gaming, Im sure the easiest party is 4 fighters and a cleric.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:17 am
Kloetenotto
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My first party is going to be a neutral evil one.

Party leader is a chaotic evil fighter (probably human) with some good speech skills. He's the boss, the mind of the party. He's evil but he's not insane. He's not going to allow his fellows to slaughter peasants without reason.

I bet the temple is full of traps, so a rogue is a must have. Chaotic evil, greedy little bastard. When the party leader ain't watching he might go and kill for fun.

Actually I hate clerics but someone has to heal so I'll probably have one.
In all my CRPGs my clerics/healers are female (the only one in the group) - not sure why but I'm never going to change that. True Neutral maybe?

A wizard (neutral evil) is a must have, too. Someone has to cast the cool speels which Miss Cleric can't.

So there's one place left. In the GoldBox game I usually had another fighter and a second magic user.
I'm not sure what to do in TOEE: a druid would be cool or a monk.

So what do you think? Is one melee character enough? How good are rogues and clerics in melee? What cool feats do monks have? Are druid spells of level 1-5 any cool ?
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:28 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Kloetenotto
My first party is going to be a neutral evil one.

Actually I hate clerics but someone has to heal so I'll probably have one.
In all my CRPGs my clerics/healers are female (the only one in the group) - not sure why but I'm never going to change that. True Neutral maybe?

Well from what I saw on this pic http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/screens.html?page=149 I understood that you cannot have certain allignments type when having certain general party allignment. So, maybe, yes. But maybe no, too

quote:
Originally posted by Kloetenotto
So what do you think? Is one melee character enough? How good are rogues and clerics in melee? What cool feats do monks have? Are druid spells of level 1-5 any cool ?

I think that one fighter is enough ok. Rogues IMO are better trained as archers, but their backstab feature canmake them cool melee fighters, too. My clerics always fight in a front line, actually clerics can be very tough, almost as tough as paladins. Monk is virtually unbeatable after levels 13-15. Level 19 makes him a god. Absolutely. Very interesting character, and if you haven't played a monk yet, try it. A fine description of monk features is, for instance, here:
http://www.skullport.com/games/nwn/classes.shtml#monks - it is for NWN monks, but I believe it ok generally. Monks *are* cool.
I don't like druids very much, at least not in computer-based D&D. Their spells are fun, esp. summoning and transforming spells but they're of little practical use, if you have a cleric and a mage.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Monks are unbeatable ... but not until well after level 10, which, last I checked, was this game's cut off point.

Before then they are mostly arrow deflecting mage bodyguards.

Ok... here we go...

The Most Powerful and Versitile Party In Existence

5 clerics. Game over. User wins.

Seriously, cleric is the most powerful class in 3rd edition... hands down. Slightly less attack bonus than a fighter (compensates by spells to increase attack bonuses), slightly less hit points (compensated and more by the ability to heal and increase con scores with spells), slightly less offensive punch spell-wise than a mage (but enough to matter), unrivaled party endurance. Plus they only need two good stats... wisdom and charisma. This leaves you plenty of points to beef up other stats to about 12 or 13. They can all wear heavy armor so they don't need dexterity at all.

Mix and match cleric domains and they literally can do it all.

Four Weddings and a Funeral

This combination is four rogues (one of which is multiclassing as a cleric) and a Barbarian. The Barbarian's job is to run screaming at a big enemy and do a bunch of damage... while the rogues all flank it and sneak attack it to submission. They could do it themselves but occassionally you run int something that is immune to sneak attack... and that's when the barbarian is needed.

And yes he dies a lot.

Go For the Eyes, Boo, Go For the Eyes! RAAAAAASKKK

Barbarian/Ranger
Barbarian/Fighter
Barbarian/Rogue
Barbarian
Cleric with an attitude

In a low level module, like this one, this team will be unbreakable. They might have to rest a bit... but then considering the sheer damage output they'll enjoy they'll kill things before they get a chance to do much damage.

We Are the Champions, My Friend... And We'll Keep on Fighting To The End

Paladin
Monk
Sorcerer
Cleric
Bard

Today's magic word is ... no failed saves. And hey... from a roleplay point of view, all those classes need a charisma 14 to benefit from their classes, so the townsfolk will idolize them.

I Casts The Spells That Makes The People Falls Down

Five sorcerers. Ker-boom. Game over, man, game over. Make sure the NPC is a meat-shield ... er... fighter. Or don't bother. If one Sorcerer picks up all the summoning spells he can then you'll have infinite meatshields. Even at level 1 this party will excel as long as they know magic missile and sleep. Consider mixing a cleric instead of a sorcerer but it's really not neccessary. of course, if they meet a golem and the NPC fighter is dead... so are they.

The last one might not win the game, but they'll cause a lot of carnage. The second one might run inot difficulties too if the devs went undead crazy (and they usually do).

The others will cakewalk the game.

As for most of them lacking a rogue? Meh, if you have a cleric and a dwarven fighter type you don't need a rogue

"Suck it up, dwarf! They're only 1st degree burns over 99% of your body!"

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:27 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

The firs time trough I will have CG party of one of each: fighter, sorcerer, cleric, bard and rogue. But because I will keep re-playing for the next to years I will try lots of funny combinations:

Spice Girls (Tim’s idea)- 5 bards
Three Amigos – well in this case will be 5 idiot fighters
Nursing school – Xen idea of 5 clerics or druids
Half of the Potter class – 5 sorcerers
On probation – 5 rogues

Well you got the idea.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:23 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
The firs time trough I will have CG party of one of each: fighter, sorcerer, cleric, bard and rogue. But because I will keep re-playing for the next to years I will try lots of funny combinations:

Spice Girls (Tim’s idea)- 5 bards
Three Amigos – well in this case will be 5 idiot fighters
Nursing school – Xen idea of 5 clerics or druids
Half of the Potter class – 5 sorcerers
On probation – 5 rogues

Well you got the idea.

This is great...I definately read the same thing that you did with Tim Cain talking about the spice girls..obviously like you tho I thinkt hat my frist party will be pretty balanced..then once i know the lay of the land i will venture into some fun parties.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:34 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah... was thinking of going the boy band route. 5 male bards. it'll be a short game because, let's face it, the lifespan of a boy band isn't that long.

I kind of liked the idea of a party of evil gnomes causing havoc too.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:01 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by RedTiger
Yeah... was thinking of going the boy band route. 5 male bards. it'll be a short game because, let's face it, the lifespan of a boy band isn't that long.

There are exceptions you know. Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Def Lepard and many, many more.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:42 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

WOW, LMAO..., you guys & gals are crazy!. Boy band & Spice girls team?, 5 rogues & 5 bards party?! The Orc & kobold will have all the funs slaughtering you all!

Anyhow those are interesting tips & i might try them out. My party would (as always) compose of different classes and races, e.g:

1 fighter + 1 Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian (front row)
1 Cleric + 1 Rogue (middle)
1 Wizard (last)

And everybody in the party specializes in their own field (no multiclassing & such). Yeah, maybe sound too conservative & boring .

EverythingXen you got interesting suggestions like the 5 clerics party, i'm interested. Although i do fear that wrong skills development or mistake in choosing right spells would get me into trouble... Even the best party composition will become useless in the hand of amateur D&D player .
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:01 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Seth

There are exceptions you know. Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Def Lepard and many, many more.

Those are definitely bands with males in them, but I would never call them boy bands. If I could create a Led Zeppelin party it would rock the hell out of Hommlet!

I've been coming up with all sorts of potential partys to play. My real front runner right now is 5 sorcerors. I want to try a party that doesn't really rely on a strong figher, but can still fight.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:16 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Some interesting ideas, there. First time around I'll be pretty boring: fighter, barbarian/paladin/ranger as takes my fancy, rogue, cleric , sorc. I like having some breadth in the classes so I can play with the different abilities/skills/feats.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:44 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
...I like having some breadth in the classes so I can play with the different abilities/skills/feats.

Yes, it's always intriguing to find out what cool skills/spells/feats from different characters you have.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:27 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next