Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I'm looking for an MMORPG is Ultima On-Line worth the money?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I'm looking for an MMORPG is Ultima On-Line worth the money?

I really want to get into an MMORPG but none of the games I know of look interesting to me. I played Ultima On-line breifly more about two years ago, I thought the overall concept was great, but there were just so many problems with it that I quit after three or four months. I belive they've come up with a few new releases for the game, so if anyone here is still playing it I 'd like know if they fixed any of the things I didn't like about it before.
With the way the game was set up it really allowed for some role-playing instead of just hack and slash. I had an archer who could make his own weapons and arrows, and a character who was very weak but could manage to kill deer and wolfs, then make their hide into cloths and leather armor, and I started to make a fisherman/cook but then stopped playing. And it seemed gold was still valueable to high level players, not like a lot of games (like Diablo) were once you reach a certain level you stop even picking up gold. While I do enjoy 'plying my trade' I like hack and slash too, but I thought the combat in the game was pretty boring. And once your skills got pretty high it seemed to take an hour just to improve them by 0.1%. There also seemed to not be very many items, like I could get a bow or a better bow, a crossbow or a heavy crossbow. And the armor came in many colors depending on what ore it was made out of, but useing rare ore didn't make it any better just a different color. When I started playing I thought the best part would be being able to have a house, but I every space that you could build on anyware even remotely close to a town was already taken, and I didn't know how to use the runes, so if I places a house I'd never be able to find it again.
So has the game improved much in the last two years? Should I start playing it again? I really would like to be on an MMORPG but I don't want to waste my money if I'm not going to like it any better than before.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:40 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Moved to CRPG forum.

Edit:
I played the game back in 1997 for two years. Some of my friends still play it.

Recent improvements: more bug fixes (no surprise huh?), monsters and house plants implementation.

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
When I started playing I thought the best part would be being able to have a house, but I every space that you could build on anyware even remotely close to a town was already taken,

I heard that AOL Legend shard is still empty while other shards are pretty full.

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
...I didn't know how to use the runes,

Runes are great for mark & recall (essential travelling devices in UO). To mark the location - pull out a recall rune and cast the spell MARK. This will bring up a targeting cursor and ask you to select the rune. If successful, the rune will now hold that location. To return to the location later, pull out the marked rune and cast RECALL.

There is something called runebook which basically allows one to store (mark) multiple locations.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:01 am
Aeolus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As Beo has already pointed out, they have fixed many bugs.

BUt there is the housing issue. Once your on the house market "ladder" your okay... but getting hold of a small marble/box house will now cost you at least 1.5mill GP on some shards (Atlantic), when the deed only costs 50kgp.

Also at peak times theres nothing to fight... and even if you do grab something it'll get killed by someone else.

AOL Legands, Oceania and many of the new Asian shards are quite empty. Although ping is 600 to Oceania its manageble.

Also beware of Publish 16: MAJOR and UNWANTED changes to gameplay, no more powerhour which will make skill gains difficult, tamers are crippled, and bards become the most powerful characters in the game (1 bard could take on a Balron (biggest Demon on UO - basically a Balrog ).

Guess my tamer/mage is nerfed. As they've introduced this armor that has spell resistance.

Other than that everything is diddly-ho happy! Nice skill sytem, housing, established trade skills, new scenarios, constant improvements and good reptuation/PvP system.

Of course UO is old.... might not last long .
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:41 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Hello fellow RPGers,

Don't mean to butt in...but I am also looking for an MMORPG, my first one to be exact...so which is the best? Or which coming out will be the best? I heard SWG is really good, ut what other MMORPGs are there? I've played a few MUDs like GemstoneIII, Terris, and Dragonrealms. How about NWN? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:18 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by The Hurricane

which is the best? Or which coming out will be the best?

It all depends on your style. Do you like to play solo? group? guild? PVP? RP? How much time can you afford to waste?

quote:

I heard SWG is really good, ut what other MMORPGs are there?

All MMORPG sound good before release. Post release almost all gamers experience countless of bugs or chaos of unbalance or poor support somewhat.

Some of the popular MMORPGs out there:
1. Ultima Online (UO) - mentioned above
2. Everquest (EQ) - Only a few classes are soloable. Need to be grouped to be viable. Ever level (ever camp) during your game life. Items are everything.
3. Asheron's Call (AC) - Better to be guilded to be effective because of the experience hierarchy. Gameworld is huge.
4. Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) - Soloable below level 25, Need to be grouped to be viable after that. Post level 35 to 50 the game is a time treadmill. Sniper/steath classes rule PVP area. There are 3 dedicated RP servers.
5. Anarchy Online (AO) - no comment.

Coming out soon:
1. Sims Online
2. Star Wars Galaxies (SWG)
3. Earth & Beyond
4. Shadowbane (SB) - Griefers' heaven.
5. Asheron's Call 2 (AC2)
6. Everquest 2 (EQ2)
7. City of Heroes

quote:

How about NWN? Any suggestions?

Hmm, if you can get a group of friends to play together, then NWN is good; otherwise, it is like BNet (Diablo). Cheaters are everywhere.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:35 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Greetings, I have researched almost all of the upcoming MMORPGs, and I must say that Star Wars Galaxies will be the best, although it is still 5 months away. Seriously, if you want to play SWG you will need to either do a major upgrade to your computer or purchase a new one, because you deserve it, and SWG deserves it.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:14 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Coincidentally I'm also looking for some good RPG on line, as is happens I never had the time and chance to develop liking for this kind of fun.
So what should I pick?

NOTE: (my preferences)

- usually I play a loner (rogue for hire)
- avoiding first person view for RPG's
- do not like hack and slash a.k.a. Diablo style.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:53 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

My 2¢ about MMORPG.
UO was my favorite MMORPG I played. I only really played UO and EQ though, I did play a little bit of the beta of AC and I did like that but I never did pick it up once it came out. I had tons of fun walking around Yew with my main character choping wood and making bows that a friend of mine would sell on her vendor. With some of my other characters I would mine and work on trying to make stuff at the smithy in Serpent's Hold, or walk around as a half crazy bard, or sewing stuff with another character. Ohh yea I did go to the dungeons sometimes, not really alot though.

EQ was SUPER addicting though I never got that far in it. The highest level I got was a 20 some bard. My favorite thing was making new characters and playing up to level 10. I was never into finding some random group of people and going somewhere to camp. I was somewhat unexperienced as a grouper. I actually think I have social anxiety disorder in real life and it sorta transfered in EQ.

I honestly wouldn't recommend either of them though. Mainly because I liked them the way they were in the beginning, I tried to play UO again after a few months off and was completely lost, not that I was a newbie again because I wouldn't have missed that ( I had quite a few good laughs when I started playing UO ) but because they changed the interface, rules, etc and it didn't feel right. And I wouldn't recommend EQ because it is SO DARN addicting, and because you HAVE to group.

EDIT
But I guess if I had to pick one or the other and I'd be able to start playing it like I never played it before I would pick UO simply because it is a better Role Playing environment. IMO
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:31 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

There was an MMORPG being made by funcom (makers of AO) called Midgard that I thought looked really good, but they put a lot of their employees on temp lay off, and put the project on hold. That was back in October, so the project is likely dead though they said they won't officially decide until the end of summer.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:37 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Midgard sounds awesome. I love the way they will handle death. I'm looking forward to it as much as I looked forward to the Middle Earth MMORPG that WAS in development years ago. I just hope midgard actually comes out.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:03 pm