Shadowbane: 10 Day Free Trial Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Shadowbane: 10 Day Free Trial Announced

Every now and then a thread pops up in our forums asking about MMORPGs that can be tried for free. Now Shadowbane has joined that small list with the <a href="http://www.shadowbane.com/freetrial.html" target="_blank">announcement</a> of a 10 Day Free Trial. You'll have to download the 582Mb client and then register to play! Free Trial accounts can be converted to full subscriptions by buying the retail product or purchasing a CD key online.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:33 am
TexasRanger

wow

This game has improved greatly, I recommend it to anybody that likes pvp.

I played it when it came out and quit due to server issues but I haven't had any problems yet and have had a blast so far a long with a few new features they added. If you play it play on my server scorn.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:52 am

Toff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I downloaded the demo but had two items that didn't work for me. First I didn't get the key that would allow me to play the game (I made sure that my e-mail was correct) and second, the demo would not install. Don't know yet if it is just me or if everyone is having these problems. I hope its just a bug and they get it worked out.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:08 am
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nope...it's not just you! I didn't get any 'key' either in my email (been 3 hours now) or after the download. Haven't tried installing yet, as i'm sure it would be useless.

This is what they get for using Gigex...half a gigabyte of useless information is now sitting on my computer...

Edit: okay, i tried installing by double-clicking on the executable (600MB) that Gigex said was successfully downloaded. A FREAKING DOS-BOX pops up for a second like it was trying to execute a batch command or something and then disappears...absolutely NOTHING ELSE happens! hahahaha...this really doesn't make me want to play the game
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:50 pm
mrb

Exactly the same problem...

Double click on the download and a dos prompt comes up saying that it cannot be run in DOS mode. (Same thing if one tries to execute from the dos prompt). Incompitence rules the day at Ubi it seems.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:44 pm

hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I don't know if it's Ubi's fault or a problem with the Gigex delivery method...I can't imagine Ubi's people can't figure out how to correctly construct a self-extracting archive...?!?
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:32 pm
mrb

Well have a go at the "ask a question" part of their support site...which you cant even log into because you arnt a subscriber (and same for their tech-support boards). Their free-trial is broken and there seems to be no way for anyone who is trying to get it to work to contact them and tell them about it...DOH!!!
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:03 pm

hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ROTFLMAO!! that's terrific...what a bunch of idiots! If it is a problem with Gigex, Ubisoft should be demanding some sort of refund for paying them to host the damn thing!!
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:19 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Not sounding so free after all is it... All that work to get nothing working.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:57 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

LOL! how funny is that?
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:56 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by hammermd23
I can't imagine Ubi's people can't figure out how to correctly construct a self-extracting archive...?!?

Erm... We're talking about the same people who let pass a bug that would delete your essential Windows system files through QA, right? (Remember Pools of Myth Drannor(sp?) anyone? )
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:31 pm
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Oh, terrific! Now we're really in trouble...this will never be fixed!
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:57 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

They deleted system files? Woah. And i thought i was a bad programmer.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:03 am

WELL!! 36 HOURS after downloading the (still broken) download I got the email with the registration key......

Decided to have a play with the broken download...packed using UPX and the reason it broken? Looks like someone (F****rd) uploaded it to Gigex in ASCII mode. Un-be-leav-able!!!
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:23 pm

SBplayer

It was just posted by vosx that the free trial is now fixed.

So try it now
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:58 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next