Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
W00t!!!!! Guess what I got in the mail today!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

W00t!!!!! Guess what I got in the mail today!!!!

And I ordered the hint book too
Life is good!!!
Anyone else got it yet?
Any suggestions on the best type/class/style yet?
Ok let the discussions begin again!
Post Wed May 01, 2002 8:35 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Thumbing through the user manual...this game is gonna be very very diverse. Looks like a thief class is/will be a VERY viable and most definitely FUN class to play. Mages look like they will have many different forms to specialize in. This is looking like a good "what if" kinda game. I'm really interested in trying out a thief/Xbower class, not so much an evil cut-throat, but more on the stealth, in the shadows type. I'll be going more on the side of stealth over strength, so Im not tryin to get chased by guards or bounty hunters...anyway, gonna go install this bad boy, will have more detailed info tomorrow
Post Wed May 01, 2002 8:52 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hehe hello Shrapnel.

I have nothing interesting to say, just nice to say after long time. And of course not only you but also your avatar .
Post Wed May 01, 2002 9:46 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Well, I must say this...
Post Wed May 01, 2002 9:56 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Cries profusely
Post Wed May 01, 2002 10:21 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

1st Off:
Hiya Dani, good to see you and to be back on these boards again. Looks like you gained some new responsibilities since last I was here, grats

Now, as for Morrowind...Im very very impressed. Its HUGE I was able to leave the starter island and head to Dramar (sp) and from there the real game takes off (I guess). I can tell right off the bat this wont be a 70-80hr game and then you're done. Each house and shop is SUPER SUPER detailed. So many skills to choose from, so many classes, so many ways to play. For example, I got home @6pm and just the starter town alone (which included 2 quests) took me 5 hrs to "complete". (If I really completed, I dont knlow yet)
More to come later on...
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:03 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I know! I know! Me smart!

I am not a rocket scientist but I am a very smart person nonetheless. I noticed that noone has answered your question, which is typical, they are all just playing their fancy RPG's with their internet.

The answer to your little riddle is: 'a copy of Morrowind'.

Frankly, I'm a little amazed that noone caught any of the hints.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:17 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

You know, Shrapnel, your duty as a RPGDotter is to report back here regularly and tell us your impressions of the game -just telling you so you don't forget *g*
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:23 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Ok, well I would say the Security skill would be one to specialize in. Security skill increases your chance of picking locks and there are a LOT of locked doors and they (of course) hold the more interesting/high dollar items in each town. Locked doors also state their level of skill req to pick, which is nice because it will help you determine what doors you can get into easily and which ones you should avoid since you dont have the skill for it.
Fun thing about breaking into places is, you have to do it at night / when no one is around in order to be stealthy about it. If someone sees you, they will report you to the guards (thats a whole other story)
Im not one for 1st person perspectives or for walking (instead of running), but I must say this: Walking around in 1st person persepective is 100% totally immersive. The textures are great, the conversations are great.
Each conversation with NPCs can branch out by clicking on highlighted words within their conversation, and then is stored to the right for easy reference when you go back to talk with them later.
Combat is....well... Im going to have to check the manual to see the finer points of combat. What I did notice is that its almost impossible to land a blow from 3rd person view, and even in 1st person (depending on your level I skill I hope as mine was very low) its at best a 50/50 chance you're going to win. I was missing a lot even with a 20 skill rating in shortsword. At least in 1st person you have a target to guide you but still...
Now as for the armor and equipping yourself with it... this is where the fun begins. There seems to be hundreds of combos you can combine (depending on the type of armor skill you have trained (Lt Md Hv). From the headgear right down to pauldrons, greaves, gauntlets very VERY customizable. Each race has their own style of the same armor types so at the beginning of the game you start out looking like a homeless warrior, picking up scrap armor from here and there just to get covered.
There are different guilds in each town and the mages guild is very cool and very useful (wont spoil it by saying why). If you have enough money, a mage will actually create a spell for you and you can customize the damage, the range, the type of attack (elemental or physical) and duration of the spell. So if you want to create a nuclear bomb-type spell with a radius of 100ft that lasts for hrs, its possible, providing you have the chance and skill to successfully cast it (WOW).
Now as for the total scope of the game, again just from 6hr of gameplay, its HUGE. Maybe just because I was examining each and every detail/aspect of the game. After the entire session, I still have no idea whats the MAIN quest, I did find out about at least 6 major towns that branch from the starter town and 5 villages that seems to be within walking distance of it. There are forms of transportation in this game which is very convenient.
THere are many ways to customize your char. Not only race/sex/hair and face style but also skill sets. In the beginning you are asked a series of questions ala the Ultima series to determine the type of char you will be by the answers you choose. Or you can just handpick each and every aspect yourself (which is what I did. Bad move I think )
some of sweet lil details I noticed was the way the water reflects. Its looks just like the images around it (houses, mountians, landmarks) but with ripples waving through it, looks very nice. Wisps of smoke can be seen trailing out of chimneys, people equip themselves with torches. At night when the stars come out, THE STARS come OUT. Whole constellations are displayed, with different sized stars, some twinkling, some larger than others.
I didnt notice NPCs following a timetable, everyone seemed to be doing the same chores they did in the daytime as at nighttime. Sound effects are great, the sound of people walking on, say, cobblestone is different than them (or you) walking on wooden planks, or on grass.
Im not sure if Im going to keep this char or remake yet, I think Im gimped
I didnt give him any specialized combat/melee skills although Im not sure if thats good or bad yet.
Different people train different skills. There is one skill Speech(something). It will affect the way people react to you. Not being a combat skill I was suprised (in a good way) to see that it was a tax collector who offered to train me in it.
There is way too much for me to tell in just one post.
The rep system is fun, you can pickpocket people, kill them and even dispose of their bodies (after looting of course). Not exactly the type of things I want associated with my char so I saved the game 1st, but I just had to know how they handled it.
Controls are well placed and easy to understand, and even customizable (I set mine to the old Gothic template...had to. Everytime I wanted to do something I kept hitting keys where they would have been placed in Gothic anyway).
Anyway, if you're looking for your next open ended, 24hr timetable, intelligent NPC AI, go where you want, do what you want kind of game, this is Definitely it. And with each class getting its own + and - to skills, abilities, etc. It looks like no two people will experience the game the same way
Post Thu May 02, 2002 5:25 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Great post Shrapnel. But one thing I did´nt like with your post is that now I want Morrowind even more.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu May 02, 2002 5:41 pm