A.I. in Gothic II?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

A.I. in Gothic II?

I'm playing the G2 demo now fully, i didn't play it much before cause i wanted to finish Gothic first, anyway...how is the A.I. in G2? i mean...

for example, i brought the turnips to the Woman that is cooking, but it's already like 21:00 nobody at the farm has eaten yet, it would be cool to see those small things like ,..the whole group of farmers walking inside and going to the table to eat together, it hasn't happened yet...things like this aren't in G2? the farmers and boss are just gonna work or stand still till it's midnight and they go sleep?

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:11 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

In G2 NPCs go home and sleep in their beds at night or sit down at camp fires together with other NPCs to chat or something like that. People like Vatras will pray. Only a very few selected characters stay where they are 24/7. They, however, do not eat or something.
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:32 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think you should read on the official Gothic II site.. they have a lot about NPCs there.

Everybody live their lives; and at night, they go inside to sleep, in the evening they eat around the campfire and so on..

Very good A.I, one of the best ever created..
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:33 pm
Aqtai
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: A.I. in Gothic II?

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
I'm playing the G2 demo now fully, i didn't play it much before cause i wanted to finish Gothic first, anyway...how is the A.I. in G2? i mean...

for example, i brought the turnips to the Woman that is cooking, but it's already like 21:00 nobody at the farm has eaten yet, it would be cool to see those small things like ,..the whole group of farmers walking inside and going to the table to eat together, it hasn't happened yet...things like this aren't in G2? the farmers and boss are just gonna work or stand still till it's midnight and they go sleep?

Sorry to go slightly off topic here (although this is related to your statement ). I am absolutely brand new to Gothic 2, I only started last night. I'm still playing the demo and have only got as far as the farm. Anyway I'm still getting my head around the controls, but how do you pick the turnips please? What buttons do you press?

Thanks.
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:20 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Welcome to G2! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

As for the controls, when you are facing an object it should "light up" and you'll get a name for the item displayed. At that point, you should be able to use your "activate" button (I have it set up where I hold the left mouse button and press my "up" arrow key -- yeah, I'm weird).

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Simply go to "Options" and disable Gothic 1 style controls (enable Gothic 2 controls) and then, basically you simply left mouse click to perform any action. Gothic 1 style controls are too 'arhaic' to most to use well and luckily they made it better with Gothic 2 controls.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:36 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yeah, AI is good, but its pretty much all scripted. I mean, nothing random happens. Ive played through it hundreds of times, and i know it off by heart.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:35 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

That's the thing, there's not that many possibilities of 'randomness' with A.I., because it works still with certain rules. There's the 'action' and then 'reaction' and these have to be scripted and the randomness is lost immediately. Sure, there could be a collection of 'reactions' and 'actions' written and then chosen 'randomly' between them, but all in all, it still is all scripted

Besides, all in all, the A.I. in Gothic is not too bad. For example, when you attack some target, it will try to find a way to you to reach you and if there is any way, it will use it. Sure, there's the range limit what the scripts use when determing it, but it still works in many cases better then in many other games, where the opponents run blindly to somewhere or don't do anything at all. For example, in G2, when you exit the gate at the merchant square side, there's a mountain in front of you. Over that mountain is a small abandoned cemetary, where couple of skeletons and zombies are. Now, I was on the bank and zapped them from above and in many other games, the skeletons and zombies would have ran against the wall and then run on spot there, without being able to reach me, while I could keep zapping them. In G2, however, they did "look around" and find the way to get to me. When I played G2 for the first time, I zapped the zombies but skeletons ran off. I didn't even notice that the skeletons found the way up the cliff, and to me, so I was surprised when suddenly through the bushes the skellies ran at me, swords swinging in the air.

Sure, it has own limits too but all in all, it's OK in Gothic games.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:10 pm