Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What would make you to play Massively Multiplayer Games?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
You can't place your judgement of MMORPGs based on your experience with Diablo online... Diablo was NEVER an MMORPG by any means. It's ok to not like the idea of MMOGs, but if you haven't experieneced it, you can't very well form a good judgement on the matter

Perhaps I am a little biassed... seeing as how, with Diablo II, I had virtually no time outside of the room I'm in now. I base my knowledge also on games like, Nox, NWN, and Tribes II.

Nox was very bad in the respect that there was type killing and gross amount of profanity.

NWN is bad in the respect that because of patches, I can only play on German 1.19 servers that have pings upwards of 450.

Tribes II was bad in the respect that if you ever joined a Tribe, you had to be at practise (on the clan's personal server) almost every second day, else you would be booted. Oh, also the fact that in T II, most of the people you were playing with [in "clan" games] were older people, who had very sick minds; one master-player once said, "Pants are for those with something to hide!" or, "This level gives me pleasures in my pants!" (Apparently, he formed his views on pants after the second quote) *UGH!*and proceeded to make similar remarks after every one of his four dozen frags in the match.

Perhaps a MMORPG, a genre that I have not played is an embodiment of all of my fears in games.

quote:
When you went to see the Lord of the Rings movie last winter, what type of industry did you think you were feeding?

A $300 million+ industry.
Three times.
Plus a DVD
And the DVD Player
And the Coaxial Cable
Oh, and my glasses
Err, can't forget the candy/popcorn/4 quart soda
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:04 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey, at least he is being honest.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:13 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Perhaps I am a little biassed... seeing as how, with Diablo II, I had virtually no time outside of the room I'm in now. I base my knowledge also on games like, Nox, NWN, and Tribes II.

Well, to be fair, these games aren't really MMOGs, except of course for Tribes 2 that was online only. I understand your fears, and I'm not saying they're not legitimate. On the contrary MMOGs can be very daunting, especially at first. Some of the peopleyou have to deal with in there have questionable moralities. But, like in any society, if you learn to adapt and adjust yourself to your surrounding, and manage to befriend some good people who are like-minded, then you could find something you never would have expected. Then again maybe not In hindsight, I think the best way to approach MMOGs for the first time is to go into it knowing that there are people you know already playing that can ease you into the community. Otherwise you might end up feeling very lonely and alienated.

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
A $300 million+ industry.
Three times.
Plus a DVD
And the DVD Player
And the Coaxial Cable
Oh, and my glasses
Err, can't forget the candy/popcorn/4 quart soda

ROFL!!!
At least you are conscious of all of it
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:49 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I found that MMORPGs are really neat when they are new (aside from being very frustrating due to bugs).

Lots of people that don't know what they're doing and trying to figure stuff out. Lots of people helping each other. Grouping together. Trying to figure out what the heck is going on...
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:57 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
I'm planning on being there on the 14th. If you wanna join me we can try and figure it out together.

I'll try to be there If I can sneak past LL. Where do I go?
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:35 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Sauron38, DIABLO? MMORPG? I think yo totally have misunderstood the idea of massively multiplayer games. Diablo is just a small net game. Do not ever mistake it for MMORPG.

ROFL.
Post Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:08 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
I'll try to be there If I can sneak past LL. Where do I go?

Try this: http://www.ataleinthedesert.com
Post Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:26 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Thank you for the link!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:35 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by Xanaki
Sauron38, DIABLO? MMORPG? I think yo totally have misunderstood the idea of massively multiplayer games.

Likely.
Post Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:28 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

An official play session of A Tale in the Desert will be tonight, Wednesday, August 14th, at 7:00PM EST (GMT -5:00). At 8:00PM, the server will be opened for employees of the US Congress. Should be a busy night.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:26 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I've played several session of A Tale in the Desert. Had an awesome time there. If you are into roleplaying and working together to accomplish something than this is really the game for you. You can't fight in the game though.

When released the game will run for approximately one year, after which it is finished and the whole show stops. One of the nifty things is that you can propose laws, once you do, you should get a petition for them. When you have enough the proposal goes into a vote. Everybody can vote and when you have enough votes the law is accepted, after which the developers implement the law and the gameworld changes slightly because of that.

The whole game is designed around accomplishing things. You can be a carpenter, keep livestock, make bricks, build a mine etc. etc. But you can not be everything. In order to become what you want you need to construct it first, for a carpenter you would need tools to work with wood. These tools are made of iron, that needs to be processed after they are retrieved from an iron mine. You can not do all of that yourself, so you have to work together with others to accomplish what you want. They either help you because they like you, because they are in your guild or because you 'owe' them a favor after that.
The society starts out simple and will evolve during the game to create some great works of mankind.

UNfortunately these playsessions are normally during a time when I'm supposed to be in bed
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:58 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

That is interesting game. But without fighting? The whole game stop (end?) after one year? ....
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:03 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The idea behind it is that it has a story. Everything that happens in the game is overshadowed by this story. The story is planned to be approximately one year long. I'm sure this could change drastically based on player turnout and their actions in the game.

To add to what Myrthos said, one of the main reasons why you can't be all powerful is because you need to pass tests in order to advance in a particular line of knowledge. But the whole system has been set up so that not everybody can pass all of the tests. For example, one of the tests is the Test of Leadership. Every new person can build one temple to honor their mentor (teacher that tought them when they were new). In order to pass this test, you need to have 7 temples built in your name. This means that, at most, 1/7th of the population can pass this test.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:53 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game is a blast. Anybody who is more trades oriented should give this game a try. It's just insane in its variety and ultimate complexity. It's really fun to try and figure it all out. Even if the resource gathering part may end up somewhat on the boring side in the future.

If anybody cares, my game name is: MoonDragon.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:45 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

What keeps me away from MMO games is simply lack of information. Indeed, that's why I've never played a game online at all (aside from the fact that I work ten to twlve hours a day and need to eat and sleep). Also, I've encountered enough people with massive egos and no social graces in the gaming world that I tend to shy away from anything that has the potential for running into them. If I want to be insulted and belittled I'll go talk to one of my clients. At least I get paid for that.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3