Usergroups
Magic System
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just wanted to discuss the magic system in Gothic. Although I think it is very good, i think there could be made some changes. I would for example have the magic do damage after how much mana you use. I know this is already implemented in some of the spells, but i dont think there should be a limit for how much mana you were to put in the spell. Say for the fireball, i think it takes 5 mana max, or so. What I would like was that you could just keep incanting the spell, and it would draw more and more mana, and do like 2-3 damage more for each mana used. And for other spells it should do more. Then it would be an advantage to have more mana. As it stands now, you can just fire some magic, then run until whom-ever-is-chasing-you stops following, then you drink a couple of potions and return and continue firing him.
Second I would like some spells implemented:
Fly - Flying would be cool, it could take like 1 mana each second you flew or so.
Magic Shield - I would say this is a must have. All mages needs some sort of magic shield protecting them while they are preparing their spells. It could take like 15 hits or so, and use 1/2 mana each second for upkeeping.
Empty teleportation runes - You go to a magic stuff dealer and buy an empty teleportation rune. You then go somewhere and scribe something into the rune, when finished you should be able to teleport to the location when you use the rune.
These are just some suggestions. What do you guys think?
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:53 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

You make it sound like our character's abilities are limitless.

You have to remember that this guy goes from Nobody, to Necromancer in only about 30 days. He wasn't born to be a mage. He was just a normal guy that learned what ever other people wished to share.
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:16 pm
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in the end, no normal NPC can take out your character, so yes, i would say you are very supreme in the end. I can take out any town with my lvl 40 deamonsummoner anytime. Can even use a sword, though he is not trained in it. Which of those skills do you think is too much for such a character?
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:00 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I think MtB has a point about the character. He is doing something that no one else in the barrier can do. He is obviously in some ways "special". As far as the magic shield spell goes.... Well just look at where their first attempt at a barrier got them. I think I would stay away from barriers for awhile if I were them! As far as the rest of the suggestions go, well magic systems are pretty much up to the designer. There are a billion things you can do with magic. Gotta stop somewhere.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:07 pm
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Perhaps, But its really the shield i find important. A lvl 40 magician would have none chance against a skilled swordsman, if another player controlled him. The AI you can always trick. But i find it somewhat lacking without the magic shield, as thats the only thing a mage have to protect himself with. As it stands now, you just gotta hope to get that spell finished before that orc hits you.
And usually you need several spells to kill one.

[ This Message was edited by: Macros_The_Black on 2001-10-16 13:26 ]
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:23 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well I have only played the demo so I can't really comment with too much knowledge. I will let you know what I think when the full game comes out and I get a chance to whack some orc's!

Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:50 pm
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hehe, ok
Its not meant to critisise the magic system as it is, cuz i do think it good. Its merley an idea for mod/patch/sequel.
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:01 pm