Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
No challenges after level 25 or so? Very mild spoilers maybe
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

At what level does combat become unchallenging in Divine Divinity?
Levels 15-20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Levels 21-25
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Levels 25-30
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
I'm still getting creamed at level 50!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Author Thread
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

No challenges after level 25 or so? Very mild spoilers maybe

Okay, I'm a level 30 archer/mage and I'm easily wiping out everything everywhere I go. I'm not using the ultra-powerful freeze spell, but I do
use elemental hail on the superfast boss creatures. Hail slows them down to
about normal speed. I've got a ton of quests left to do, but should I just finish the game instead? I don't need anything more powerful weapon or
armor-wise do I? Do I need high level armor or weapons? I'm an archer,
and I have a decent bow. I've got fully enough charms in my current equipment. I've got a fairly decent sword that does poison damage. Cold
damage is way too powerful, so I don't use those weapons. I haven't been anywhere to the sw so maybe that's where the challenging creatures exist.
I know that there are some quests for high level armors and weapons, but I'm guessing I won't need them. Anyone know different?
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:13 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

You're doing better than me. I'm level 22 and often have to run away for a breather
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:52 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

What difficulty setting to you have the game set at?
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:26 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Combat is easier at high levels, but there are some big bosses that are always a challenge.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:26 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Difficulty

quote:
Originally posted by Val
What difficulty setting to you have the game set at?

Val, I started at normal but moved it to hard once I got out of the witch's
dungeon. I couldn't tell that it made a difference though. What is the
difference between normal and hard? Do you get more experience though,
too? I'm still not finding a challenge but I still haven't headed to the Dark
Forest. I plan on finishing the sewers in the city and then heading that way.
I have sent 5 of 7 people to where they need to be, being vague because I
don't want to spoil anything...What I need is a few combats with several bosses simultaneously. That'd make things interesting! I'm hoping that
the Ebony Circle's (not real name) members are all super strong. I have the
feeling that I'll defeat the Foozle at the end of the game in 30 seconds or less.....we'll see. I still like the game, but the combat is tedious. The way that I could make it more challenging is to never make restoration potions.
If I just used healing and magic potions vs. restoration that'd make a HUGE
difference
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:10 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

running away and combat tips

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
You're doing better than me. I'm level 22 and often have to run away for a breather

Well, I'm an archer so I run away all the time I run, then fire my bow once or twice, then I run back and collect the treasure! I'm hoping for a
difficulty expansion pack. My skill selections is probably what has me too tough. I have a merciless bow that does 44-138 damage. I have the skill
split arrows at level 4 or 5, not sure which. I also have the poison weapon
skill, which I use sparingly. If the creatures prefer to be murdered by magic,I have meteorstrike at level 5 and lightning at level 3. I use Elemental Hail to slow down fast bosses, but I never use freeze. That spell
is basically cheating. I don't use cold based weapons either. If I'm bored of
combat I just drop 3 or 4 steel scorpions and then walk away for a while. They can kill just about anything, even at level one. Resoration potions stop me from ever having to run away. I have 30 minor and regular of those on hand at all times.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:22 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I did play thief/archer; just for fun I took all the skills involving damage. My bow damage then was over 210 and that wasn't the best bow in game.

And yes the scorpions do the work for you, they are almost indestructible, much later in the game there is some sort of knight that can kill them pretty fast, but as you stated yourself freeze spells does wonders.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:56 pm
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I just finished DD and I had fun, but challenging it was not. Sure there were ways to make the game more challenging but in a game where finding weapons is such a big part of the fun it seems kind of lame to not use the good ones.

Kind of weird how this game has many of the same 'flaws' as MW. Gets easy fast, no day/night cycle with the NPC, fairly simplistic combat. Still the game is fun. Maybe it is the fact that there was less aimless wandering around (more action) is what keeps more people interested in the game. Or perhaps its just lower expectations.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:33 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree wood...

quote:
Originally posted by iloveplywood
I just finished DD and I had fun, but challenging it was not. Sure there were ways to make the game more challenging but in a game where finding weapons is such a big part of the fun it seems kind of lame to not use the good ones.

Kind of weird how this game has many of the same 'flaws' as MW. Gets easy fast, no day/night cycle with the NPC, fairly simplistic combat. Still the game is fun. Maybe it is the fact that there was less aimless wandering around (more action) is what keeps more people interested in the game. Or perhaps its just lower expectations.

I'll add one caveat to my perception though. If you avoid weapons with frost damage and turn the difficulty up to hard, the game has some challenges. I'd hate to fight 20 special insane skeletons at once, though
it'd be fun to try I haven't finished the game yet, but the only time I die
now is through not paying attention. I'll go kill 50 foozles and forget to heal
up and then get killed. I'm in the Dark Forest and am killing hordes of the
creatures that hang near the Warrior's guild. I've been gathering them up in a big circle around me and then throwing several Level 4 Deadly Discs. This makes treasure round-up much more tidy I keep hoping that I'll face one more challenging dungeon before the game is over. I remember that first few dungeons were quite difficult, which made them fun.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My wizard hasn't been challenged yet.

My survivor bow user is brutal and only gets creamed in a few fights where you have to stand toe to toe with a powerful enemy and 'tank' it. (I'm thinking of one fight in particular, but I won't spoil it.)

My fighter dies every few seconds. He just... dies. Level 13, armor as good as I can, uh, 'liberate' and charms for vitality and magic (and resistances)... and he's pretty much toast.

My survivor did the cursed abbey at level 9... mistakenly I wandered by fighter up there to see how he would do at level 13.

Ow.

I went back to my survivor because I got tired of being murdered by anything with two legs...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:30 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hmm... I am also playing wizard - man on normal setting.
I run out of first town and met several orcs then I found their village and this is everything I met in this game. Now I am level 19 and there is no challenge at least in this area and I am still leveling up very very quickly. I really love leveling in RPGs so I am really happy with this game but there is still question in my mind - will I find challange somewhere?
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:42 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

There are some tough boss fights, but I you are playing a mage, the game gets really easy. Play a pure fighter and it's tougher.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:46 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I think I will stick with wizard. I like easy games with good stary and "feeling...". I do not like to reaload again and again, so I will enjoy this game also with very strong character :].
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:24 pm