I, Robot & Isaac Asimov
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I, Robot & Isaac Asimov

I, Robot directed by Alex Proyas will be out in 2 months.

Alex Proyas directed the Crow & Dark City(for this reason alone I think this is going to be killer movie). I am not thrilled about Will Smith though.

Asimov wrote something like 500 books in his lifetime. By the name, you would think this movie is based of the collection of short-stories known as I, Robot. I myself have only read 6 Asimov books contained in 2 Sci Fi Bookclub omnibus's...

Foundation Trilogy(Foundation, Founation and Empire, Second Foundation)
supposedly Foundation Trilogy is getting made into movies soon also...

Robots and Murder(the Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn)

From what I saw this looks like it was partially based off I, Robot(names possibly some locations) but the plot looked very similar to "the Caves of Steel". Also, I really don't think Asimov's robots EVER harmed humans(this from speaking to other fans who have read many more robot books). I am probably wrong though as I have only read a few of his books. What do you think of Isaac Asimov & the upcoming I, Robot movie?

ps...there is a company called I Robot. www.irobot.com

They make military-droids that are getting used in IRAQ & Afgahnistan.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu May 06, 2004 3:27 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I think it looks like it will be a fairly good movie. Will Smith seems like he can fit the part... (not that I've read any of Asimov's books...)

The name always reminds me of the star wars book 'I, Jedi'.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu May 06, 2004 4:08 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, he wrote lots of books. The problem is, each book was like 100 pages long. And, he still managed to make them sluggish and boring.

Furthermore, I thought the whole thing was that no one KNOWS wether or not the robot harmed anyone in I, Robot?
Post Thu May 06, 2004 6:22 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

The trailer I saw looked EXACTLY like scenes out of The AniMatrix. Could it be they are trying to ride that bandwagon?

-vaticide
Post Thu May 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I don't have high hopes for this movie. It's been about ten years since I was an Asimov addict, but I have a bad feeling.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 6:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm an Asimov addict though I didn't read more than probably 200 of his books, I read all the Foundation and Robot novels/anthologies, and I have NO idea how they are going to make I, Robot into a movie (or the Foundation, for that matter).

There have been several cases of robots hurting humans in his books, but in all cases they were either tricked into doing it, or tricking themselves into doing it (with severe repercussions).

I'm not enthusiastic about Will Smith, I hated The Crow (which was IMO extremely boring), yet I loved Dark City.

Well, we'll see, but somehow I have doubts I'll like the movie.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 8:34 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Yeah, he wrote lots of books. The problem is, each book was like 100 pages long. And, he still managed to make them sluggish and boring.

Eh? Most of his novels are a reasonable length. A few short stories were developed into novellas (Nightfall for example, IIRC) but otherwise they're long enough.

I'm an Asimov fanatic and have read pretty much everything I can. I hate Will Smith so I'm dubious (although Bicentennial Man wasn't too bad, if a little sentimental).

Asimov's robots have allowed harm to come to humans but only for the "greater good"; the conflict is one of the themes his robot stories often explore.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 11:18 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin

I'm an Asimov fanatic and have read pretty much everything I can. I hate Will Smith so I'm dubious (although Bicentennial Man wasn't too bad, if a little sentimental).

I need to rent Bicentennial Man. I was looking at that one the other day.

Also, I really love foundation trilogy but find that it would be hard to make into a movie. Of course, like I Robot it will not truly be a book adaptation anyway...It could be interesting as a SCI FI miniseries though.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri May 07, 2004 8:02 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Bicentennial Man may have been a tearjerker, but it certainly was good. In fact, thinking of it, I liked it a lot.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:08 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I love Asimov's work, and have read everything of his I've got my hands on; not just sci-fi but comedy, mystery, fantasy etc.

It will be interesting to see how a film of I, Robot turns out. It's got a lot of potential - being a collection of short stories, there's a lot of material that can be drawn upon, but they can still just ignore the bits that don't fit with the direction of the film. The vision of the future as presented in I, Robot is a fascinating one, which deserves the greater audience that a film will demand!

HOWEVER - I don't think it's a good idea at this time to try to film the Foundation series. A film based on such a comprehensive work will only work if the parties involved are prepared to bet their companies and their reputations on its success. I'm not sure there's enough interest to make it worth the risk, and anything less than complete commitment will mean disaster. Peter Jackson managed to pull it off with LotR to spectacular effect, but I don't think anyone is prepared to do the same with Foundation quite yet.

To anyone who hasn't read any Asimov: give him a try! His vision of the future is pretty much unique, he invented many of the concepts you see in robotics today, and he wrote science-fiction as science-fiction. He didn't treat the genre as "adventure with laser pistols", but each story hinges on some piece of scientific fact. The stories don't just exist in a sci-fi setting, but they depend on it - most of the stories just couldn't exist elsewhere. It makes for quite unique reading.

kengo2019, have you considered reading the other books related to the Foundation trilogy? Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation are action/adventure books that tell the story of Hari Seldon on Trantor, then there are a number of adventure books set in the far future of the Foundation which cover the events after the Robots series and explain the broad history of how the two galactic empires came together. I also recommend the Empire series (The Stars Like Dust, Pebble in the Sky and The Currents of Space), which are set at various times during the growth of the first Empire.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 1:01 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Rented Bicentennial Man tonight. I really enjoyed it.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 8:25 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Here is a cool trailer...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/internetexclusive2/

Last edited by RPG Frog on Sat May 29, 2004 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 26, 2004 3:50 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I reallz look forward to this one. At least I really liked the book. However I do not know much about this movie yet.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 12:30 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I read I Robot last week. I really enjoyed it, though not quite as much as the 3 Robot murder books. The movie does not look anything like the book I just read. But, I think it will certainly use some concepts and names from those 4 books. I certainly hope this movie rocks as much as the Crow and Dark City.

Last edited by RPG Frog on Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:37 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I took my girlfriend to see The Day After Tomorrow and it was the first time she'd seen the trailer for I, Robot ... after she leaned over and said "Wow... that has absolutely nothing to do with Asimov's robots."

I've never ready anything by Asimov but really my hopes for a thought provoking dramatic science fiction movie went out the window when I saw it was staring Will Smith and coming out in the summer. Now, it looks like it will be fun in a 'watch out... robots are taking over the world' kind of way... and I loved the Crow and Dark City and Smith proved he actually can act once in a while in Ali so I *might* be surprised.

But probably not.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:17 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next