Usergroups
It's official: Oblivion on March 20th
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

In my mind Morrowind was definetely a step in the right direction. even ignoring the horrible bugs and horrible game balance I couldn't get past the lack of content and story in daggerfall. There are only so many times you can do the same quest in the same dungeon over and over and the world seemed extremely bland. Morrowind was still a flawed game though, and it's not quite clear to what extent Oblivion will address those flaws. Faster moving story and improved combat are both steps in the right direction. But I'm still not optimistic enough to be excited. So far all of the elder scroll games (or at least the RPGS) were games that had the potential to be great but fell short.
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:40 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I really don't get all the anti-Morrowind sentiment. It was a pretty fun game for me, until I hoplessly imbalanced the game by becoming too powerful. I still got a good 35 hours out of it and saw 60% of the land.

For all those who keep saying Oblivion will be terrible and "look what happened to Morrowind"...well, yeah, look what happened to Morrowind! One of the top RPG's of all time? That Morrowind? Guess you can't make everyone happy. And I love Gothic as well

BTW, "Titan Quest" looks like a fun hack and slash. I'll buy it, but its no RPG.

Bored by Morrowind but Titan Quest looks compelling? I guess if you think Diablo is an RPG...
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:29 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Morrowind, like its predessecors, was a worthy game. However, like its predeccesors, there is something lacking in the series... I can't quite put my finger on it.

The best that I can articulate it would be to say that while the 'sandbox' concept is certainly a welcome one (for me), it doesn't provide enough of a reason for being or being in the world in and of itself.

For example, you could pick a guild, do its quests, and rise in rank. But in the end, there was no real purpose in doing this in terms of how the player could impact or alter the game world.

From what I've read, I think Oblivion is taking a step in the right direction in changing this shortcoming (again, I can't quite put my finger on it). We'll see.
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:55 pm

Just because game review sites gives an award for the best rpg etc game of the year doesnt really mean anything and 100% of the time all these games getting these high / near perfect scores and awards are the same boring crap that we have been playing for 7 hours now gamespot is a fine example of the most laughable reviews they have no idea what they are doing Serious Sam 9.5? Grand Theft Auto 3 , VC and SA all the same ratings? The mental of these people i tell you.

Morrowind seriously is one of the most boring rpg's ever made after 4 hours i never went back even if i wanted to you couldnt it crashes every few minutes and i've even heard the Xbox does as well? I really hope Oblivion doesnt crash like this

Same as Diablo when ever you hear action rpg they say Diablo like its the best one it started the whole Action RPG im sure but it is THEE shittiest boring piece of crap i ever played just click click click health potion mana potion click click click go down 50 levels kill a boss talk to a generic npc go to the next dungeon go down 50 levels kill kill kill click click click all same ugly areas game of the year? I think not trash of the year yes

Thats one of the most important thing in the game is the combat i mean who wants to play a game that has shitty combat? So at least they improved that in Oblivion i really wanna go in one of those damn Oblivion Gates
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:12 pm

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Loved Morrowind, sure Im gonna love Oblivion as well, havent seen a bad preview yet
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:18 pm
indigo1980
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree 100% percent with all that criticism about Morrowind. But look, until Gothic 3,which is abolutely all time champion for me, is launched we have nothing to play.. so... i think its better to grab an Oblivion, than doing nothing, or worse, working, studying etc.
Ive just bought it , hope that will ship on march 24th

and btw TheMadGamer, i couldnt say it better! Exact the same feeling about Morrowind. Thats why i love Gothic - you can wander and wander, but in the end you feel it was worth it
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:03 am

Well yeah i agree Gothic 3 is going to be the king of rpg's this year or when ever it gets released so i guess will settle for Oblivion for now but the best always comes later.

Dont forget we also got Titans Quest comming up soon too in June 2006.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:48 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3