Usergroups
Gothic 2 addon DNDR in english...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Actually it's not that big work, if few people work on it and help each other. I know that, for example, few russians ALREADY translated NoTR into russian language and are ALREADY playing it. All done by players. Thus it is totally possible to do the same for english. And there is also a way to make G2 add-on in german language to work on International G2.

I don't know much german myself to help with the translation part, but I can help with "proof reading" the english part No, I am not some language expert and english aint my native language either, but perhaps I can be of help anyways.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:07 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmm

about how much new text is there in NOTR?, anyone that knows?
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:01 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

i'm willing to help as well doesn't matter in what capacity should talk to xerxes about this cause he wanted to it for a long time
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:13 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yop xerxes probably could give some more tips also and one translator more again
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:07 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

NotR has around 5000 lines of dialogue I think, not including new quest logs, captions etc.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:00 pm
kazuma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

its all very nice that u guys can translate it and all of us eagrs can play this damn addon finnally i presonnaly got tired of waiting and start gothic2 once more but all of u forgot to mention that even though youl translate it to english so we all non german can play it still what about the Voices ??? there wouldnt be any voices i think that could take some fun out of it
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:14 pm
the_undertaker_05x
Village Leader
Village Leader

Location: Well... I live in Korinis but I'm plannig to go to the mainland with Hagen's ship.

quote:
Originally posted by kazuma
its all very nice that u guys can translate it and all of us eagrs can play this damn addon finnally i presonnaly got tired of waiting and start gothic2 once more but all of u forgot to mention that even though youl translate it to english so we all non german can play it still what about the Voices ??? there wouldnt be any voices i think that could take some fun out of it
yes, is true but at least we'l know the story...but what about diccuric, Jaz? you said a few months ago that you'l translate diccuric and nothing...
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:34 pm
Gorn's best mate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
NotR has around 5000 lines of dialogue I think, not including new quest logs, captions etc.

Blimey, that's gonna take ages. I've done some translating into english before and I can tell you it's more difficult than it looks translating into anything other than your native tongue. My experience anyway.

Proof reading will also be crucial, as well as in-game testing to see if the dialogues actually go together.

quote:
Originally posted by the_undertaker_05x
but what about diccuric, Jaz? you said a few months ago that you'l translate diccuric and nothing...

I'd love to hear more from you on how to motivate people. What a comment

What do the people who are in on it say to all this? I mean are there any concrete plans yet? There was a mention of IRC meetings, which I think is a great idea. I also think a message board would be a good idea. Unfortunately my talents do not extend in that direction.

NB Jaz, would it be rude to ask what your mother tongue is? I certainly can't fault your English and your German must be spot on, too.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:44 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but I think we could stand to calm down a bit and wait a while longer.

What I fear is that people will start work on a translation and then NOTR english will just come out for real. Or people will start work on the translation not realiziing what a big job it really is (one that people usually get paid for).

It was just like this with English Gothic 2. We heard nothing for months. No release date, nothing. Then all of a sudden, and without warning, things started to come together and the game came out.

I conceed that this situation is slightly different. In the base Gothic 2, we pretty much knew that the game *was* going to be released in English. It was just a question of when.

The problem here is that we do not know if anybody truly has a commitment to release the English version. This is where the frustation and restlessness comes from. If we knew it *was* going to be publshed, we would be satisfied with only vague release date info. At least we'd know it would be premature to start talking about "fan made" anything.

But we know absolutely nothing at this point. We don't know if its coming out or even if it is cancelled. Even knowing it is NOT coming out would be better than not knowing anything at all.

So anywyay, I've done a lot of rambling here, but it all comes down to just seeing this through. If we don't hear anything by , say, Fall of this year-- then maybe we can assume the worst. Until then, we should just sit tight.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:57 pm
Gorn's best mate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You are right. We won't know how much work it'll be until we get into it. Yet, I still believe it's worth a try. Especially since there seems to be no shortage of volunteers so far.

You are also right to say that the uncertainty is what is makes it so unbearable. It could well be that the day this is finished (and why not assume we make it), the addon is released. No way to be sure.

There has been a lot of speculation as to why Atari wouldn't release a popular piece of software that, to our knowledge, has long been completed. In fact we know nothing at all. That's why I say we give it a shot in any case. Waiting for 5 months and THEN start with the project doesn't seem much saner than doing it right now.

Just another opinion.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:09 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by the_undertaker_05x
but what about diccuric, Jaz? you said a few months ago that you'l translate diccuric and nothing...

I'm quite positive Jaz doesn't need me to defend her... Still, she is working on it alone, and busy as she is, I would give her a break.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Undertaker: Months ago? I *agreed* to translate Diccuric months ago. I got the actual files after I returned from hospital in March... over 300 text files, and I'm about 4/5 through.

A day has 24 hours.
- Baby: needs food and new diapers 5 or 6 times a day -> -9 hours
- Family: helping in the kitchen, doing housework -> -3 hours
- Food: I need to eat myself -> -2 hours
- Sleep: I need at least 5 hours of that per day -> -5 hours
- RPGDot: My work here takes at least one hour a day, most of the time it's two hours: -2 hours
-Beta testing: I'm beta tester for a game: -> -1 hour

So two hours remain for all other stuff which needs to be done. I'm glad if I can translate a few lines each day between breakfast and baby care round 2. And my supply of free time will dwindle even more once I'll go back to work...

Now let's see how you would fare trying to translate 300+ text files (not lines, files) in my free time.

EDIT
Thanks, hwf. You were right, I already did it myself .

@Gorn's best mate: I'm German.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:22 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I tested today the steps suggested on that russian site. And, as a result, I installed and tried german NoTR add-on on english G2, translated into russian. Sure, sounds a mess, but it isn't that big one

Basically the original G2 voice dialogues are in english, while subtitles are in russian. I have not YET got to any add-on related char, since I was just testing to see if this damn thing would even work, on my work PC, and it did. So, once I get home, I will redo all these steps on my home PC as well and play the NoTR. At least I understand russian much more then german
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:24 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

- Food: I need to eat myself -> -2 hours

Hm, isnīt self-cannibalism a bit unhealthy in the long run?!
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:15 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm well gothicdot posted some bad news about the gothic 2 addon so i think we better start translating the game we need tho more translators
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:33 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next