Mournhold or Solstheim First?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mournhold or Solstheim First?

I am a 20th level custom ranger (using MW 3X since lvl 8 to extend game play), no uber weapons or armour (but lots of enchanted weapons and armour class in the 40s). This is my 5th start and I have never completed the game (my characters always got too near invincible to maintain any edge to the game - but I know what to avoid this time). So I've completed all the early guild/faction guests and have a double digit reputation. I have both Tribunal and Bloodmoon installed (along with some 140 mods) but have never 'visited' either and was wondering whether to head for Mournhold or Solstheim first . Any and all opinions/input welcome. I was leaning towards Solstheim until I read a really good story/post by cfmdoobie about his battles in the sewers of Mournhold and was at least partially swayed in the other direction, even though I tend to lean more to role-playing than hack and slash.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Strogannov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i only have tribunal but i'll tell you:
mournhold includes a lot of roleplay aswell.
a lot of quests can simply be speech ones.
like where you are an actor in a play of "the horrors of the castle Xyr", to complete this quest you must study the lines in the book given to you and preform them onstage without making any or a lot of mistakes.
the quests for the royal guard are also very speech-based (find an informant, root out the rebels ect...)
the temple quests in Mournhold is where the hack n' slash part comes in... usually in the sewers "kill goblin warchiefs" "purify the old underground temple"...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:05 pm
Kragor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It's true that Tribunal has some possibilities for roleplay, but I there's no doubt that it's VERY linear compared to the original Morrowind. Bloodmoon is more like the original where you can go wherever you like and take on a great number of side quests. In addition the roleplay you make up on your own, in Bloodmoon several possibilities to roleplay is integrated in the main quests.
I'm not saying that Tribunal is bad(I enjoyed it very much), but Bloodmoon just feels more Morrowind due to its freedom. Play them both and find out, I say. Remember that you can travel between Vvardenfell, Mournhold and Solstheim whenever you like (makes a mess of the questbook, but what the heck... )
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:36 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i have completed mournhold, and have about 10 hours of gameplay into bloodmoon. personally, i prefer mournhold. don't get me wrong, but there just seemed to be more varity in the tribunal expansion pack. so far bloodmoon has been kind-of flat. so, the question is do you finish the lesser expansion first or do you jump right at the good stuff? personally, i would go for the good stuff and play tribunal then take a visit to the icy lands of solstheim. but, that's just me. i too have never actually finished the main quest in morrowind, because i end up getting bored with the gameplay. however, i never lost interest in mournhold. maybe it is a little bit more linear, but it is certainly more interesting.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:30 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

2:1 wins, it is off to Mournhold then Solstheim; thanks all for your informed input, giving me a feel for the two options.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:15 pm
Strogannov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i don't think solstheim will be bad, on the contrary i'll buy it as soon as i have time to go out and buy it.
its just
Tribunal may be linear, but it also adds that there are more scripted events (like the sudden plaza attack)
and thus the entire decor can change.
i was a bit upset about how mournhold was a bit small (i expected atleast a part of the coast with some smaller villages and eventually mounthold, and first you'd have to get into the Mounrhold Legion and climb up to city guard before being allowed to enter mournhold being just a city with huge walls was a bit of an anticlimax.
but i think the huge sewers make up for that.
anyway, good fun all around though.
get to know the situation and the magnitude of the entire setting a bit more.
the biggest eltdown was the clockwork "city" of sotha sill
i expected a city (like it said) kinda like mounrhold or vivec, but with sotha sill as the local god/hero
but it was just a dungeon (a repetitive one)
having finished tribunal i have mixed feelings to be honest.
it adds some good gameplay and scripted events and a variety of new kidns of quests (other than the typical morrowind quests of "fetch this, kill that")
like opperating a dwemer device and taking part in a play
on the other hand i did expect more area, more people, more towns...
and sotha sill was a big letdown, really
i mean, what is the point of eventually being able to go back to sotha sill.
this may be a spoiler but, to be honest, its a dungeon, nothing more
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:42 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i'll agree that the clockwork city was the most repetitive & empty city i have ever seen--actually i think it was amazingly weak compared to the rest of the tribunal expansion. but other than that i thought tribunal was great. i think that mournhold is awesome & love the dwemer ruins under the city. the ruins were a refreshing break from the ruins on the mainland. they were just different enough to be new, yet kept the general dwemer atmosphere. also, i really enjoy the style in mournhold itself. it felt different from morrowind's little villages and vivee's pyramids. it really felt like a unique location and is a good addition to the game.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:25 pm
Strogannov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yeah the dwemer ruins were fantastic
just strange enough to make a new effect/impression, but still mainting that feel to it.
the creators really did a great work portraying the evolution of mournhold.
the architecture in new mournhold is a kind of evolution fo the one in the old mournhold, its different, yet it looks like it came forth of the old one.
great work on that
but saying that you could "visit the clockwork city of sotha sill" was a bit misleading.
I imagined a nice puzzle or soemthing in the centre of a strange dwemer-like city involving a huge clock and stuff like that, and the entire city being built on a kind of clocklike way.
but once again my iamgination got ahead of the truth
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:33 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

well, you do eventually end up visiting the clockwork city. the only problem is that it is more like a dull walk through a bunch of rooms with gears on the walls. hardly anything worth remembering. i think there is a reason that sotha sil had very few visitors, it is because there is very little to visit...
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:10 pm
Strogannov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

you know it would be cool if some team would make a mod for sotha sill... to make it an actual city with the available textures.
maybe a live Dwemer city (dwemer objects and dwemer(both)/clockwork textures and objects.
would be cool to see an actual dwemer city without all the dust and dark stuff.
and simply make the entrance to sotha sill's dungeon/palace difficult.
come on, its a good idea no?
some dwemer buildings with a slightly brighter colour and people living there and stuff.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:21 am