Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
My list of Gothic gripes. Piranha you out there?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Major issues:

1. No autorun key.

2. No quickslots. This really gets annoying after 100 hours of scrolling through your inventory for commonly used items, such as healing/mana potions.

3. Trade screen. There should be a key to scroll through each column OTHER THAN the arrow keys. Once you are in the player inventory column you must left scroll multiple times to get out of it.

4. You are unable to kill an NPC with blunt weapons. It is really annoying to switch to a blade/axe to do this.

5. Pathing, where NPCs must follow you, is terrible unless you stop every 10 feet and wait. NPCs should be able to keep up to the player and not get lost.

6. HUGE NPC/Quest bug that can literally stop the game. The event goes like this:

-NPC gets lost following player
-player gets into a spot where the NPC is allowed to trigger a quest cut-scene, but the NPC is too far away, behind a wall etc (there is no Z/Y axis checking for vertical distance either)
-game goes into an endless loop as it halts all progress to play the cut scene... but it doesn't play because the player can't see the NPC. CANNOT exit to menu.

7. NPC love/hate relationship bug. This happens when an NPC that has been assigned to the player for a quest must follow the player til the quest's conclusion. If at any time the player accidentally hits the NPC during battle he will develop a dual personality. The NPC will say he wants to fight, but never initiates the fight. Then, on rare occasions during skirmishes with enemies the NPC will attack the player.

9. Lazy NPC bug. This happens when an NPC offers to help the player fight during a quest and then just stands around watching him get slaughtered (Orc graveyard for example).

10. Missing NPC bug. This happens when an NPC offers to meet the player to help in a particular area and then never shows up. Or if he does it's way too late.

11. Monsters sometimes "freeze" for no reason and then can't defend themselves in a fight.

12. Monsters sometimes go into an "attack loop" where they can attack at supersonic speed up to 10 times in a row without pause. It usually happens when the player and monster are intersecting. This essentially immobilizes the player until he is dead.

13. If arrows/bolts can knock back a player, then large weapons should also.

14. It's unfair to allow arrows/bolts to knock the player off ladders. The Uma-Luma quest in the New Mine is a perfect example of why this shouldn't be allowed.

15. Armor/magic vs. arrows is NOT good enough. At level 21 the highest pre-Wolf armor rating I got vs arrows was 45 wearing the heaviest Templar armor, a medalion vs arrows and a ring vs arrows. This is not high enough to do the Uma-Luma quest without constant reloads.

16. The fact that you cannot lead with arrows/ranged spells is terrible. It means that a target must stand still to be hit. Or, the player must be in exact alignment with the enemy.

17. The wind gust line is useless. It needs to have a farther kick-back.

18. Ice spells DO NOT work against Fire Golems.

19. Teleport does not work inside the new mine.

20. After joining a camp, many NPCs from that camp still treat you as an outsider.

21. It's too easy to "fall off the edge of the world", especially as a BloodFly.

22. Swimming controls are terrible. The player shouldn't be allowed to go so vertical underwater. This would solve the "bouncy camera" syndrome that can get your drowned.

23. If a swimming player cannot attack NPCs, then swimming NPCs should not be allowed to attack the player.

24. ALL dialog options that result in a player spending skill points should be so indicated. And, the point value should be shown.

25. The player has too much free reign in high security areas (ex: the castle. temple and other important places). This results in wanton thieving without any repercussions. Guards should patrol areas.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:21 pm

MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

"Lazy NPC bug. This happens when an NPC offers to help the player fight during a quest and then just stands around watching him get slaughtered (Orc graveyard for example)."

I hate that bug most of all. The bugs you listed above are only about 2% of errors in the game. Theres thousands more bugs in the game, especially when you get near the end. I truly hope they fix the majority of them, but it's doubtful.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:36 pm

dont want to hear it.......
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:39 pm

xierxior
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

they should fix them i really hate the water bug... heres another sometimes winch's dont wanna close gates or open them... example 1 castle old town example 2 old mine
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 12:05 am
Digital Pimp
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1. No autorun key.
I always Run

4. You are unable to kill an NPC with blunt weapons. It is really annoying to switch to a blade/axe to do this.
This is sweet, so you can DEFEAT people not kill them, and find out 3 hours later you have to go see him.

14. It's unfair to allow arrows/bolts to knock the player off ladders. The Uma-Luma quest in the New Mine is a perfect example of why this shouldn't be allowed.
Don't climb up the ladders when your in a battle.

15. Armor/magic vs. arrows is NOT good enough. At level 21 the highest pre-Wolf armor rating I got vs arrows was 45 wearing the heaviest Templar armor, a medalion vs arrows and a ring vs arrows. This is not high enough to do the Uma-Luma quest without constant reloads.
WRONG, show me an armour in real life that can protect against arrows anywhere near 45% of the time, and in the Uma-Luma quest use a Bow, or crossbow. I was a level 2 crossbow and owned that level no restarts or loads.

18. Ice spells DO NOT work against Fire Golems.
WRONG, I use Ice Blast and it did damage, I only noticed the ICE Hold didn't work.

21. It's too easy to "fall off the edge of the world", especially as a BloodFly.
I beleive this is the Stupidy Factor. Don't fly off the map!

The rest makes sense, I think you should start PLAYING the game and ENJOYING it, instead of writing things that don't make it perfect. Anyone who played Ultima 9 will notice this game pulls off a virtual world very well.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 12:35 am
Darksharp
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Good post. Hopefully PB listens.

This drives me nuts:
I'd like to add how when you talk to a pre-scripted NPC that they dump the "cinematic" camera. You end up with another NPC covering the Field of VIew or looking at their chest or neck. It's too much like UIX's system and that was just absymal.
They should just go for a static, pre-placed camera when you enter the NPC hotbox it triggers said camera.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:18 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Definitly a good post made by >>Anonomys<<

Identify yourself!
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:07 am

The game is great. This is not a complaint list. It's a list of suggestions to make it better.

I am finished with Gothic and it will go on my "greats" shelf near Deus-Ex and Baldur's Gate 2.

Farewell.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:53 am

Khalistro
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My biggest point of annoyance is that the games allows you te be harassed by mud while you're about to, or in the middle of, combat.

This killed me more then once

Especially while I went out with Grim, and thought I could get some help from Mud as well.

Ofcourse I saved AFTER picking Mud up and getting ready for the fight at the gate, before running out

Oh well,

Khalistro
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:12 am
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nice list, I too hope they listen and make changes.. else its just too frustrating for me to continue playing.

Hard to believe with games like Quake and Metal Gear, etc. out there and they make an interface of their own.. and it doesn't work very well
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:20 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Even if there are a few 'bugs' & stuff, I love the game, and its overall lot more bug-less and worked through than many of the games I played.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:03 pm
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This game will never be returned as a used game.

Excellent and I am waiting for part 2.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:46 pm
Smitiz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think its great that u cant kill someone by accident. But they should have taken care of that one little thing, that the player uses the same movement for killing wiht a sword or with an axe. But with a sword, its GREAT!
But this game is buggy cuz I dont think they had time to finish it.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 11:26 pm
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Most frustrating thing about this is, Pirahna-bytes lets the user community host forums, and I doubt they even come here and read anything posted.

Things like mouse interface, mappable keyboard and mouse, auto-run key, etc.

If *anyone* has played Everquest, Quake.. these are the basics.. tried and true.

---

Die meiste Frustrierensache über dieses ist, läßt Pirahna-Bytes die Benutzergemeinschaft Foren bewirten, und ich bezweifele, daß sie sogar herkommen und lese alles bekanntgegeben. Sachen mögen Mäuseschnittstelle, mappable Tastatur und Maus, Automobil-lassen Taste, usw. laufen. Wenn jedermann Everquest gespielt hat, sind Beben. diese die versuchten Grundlagen. und richten aus
Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:16 pm
Thief_3_Wannabe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

One thing I found annoying was during combat, how you couldnt really switch targets but had to back up out of your defense stance and turn to the target your trying to attack. This gets pretty annoying when your fighting 3 or 4 monsters.

And whats the deal with the defense stance, I mean when you hold down for him to defend it doesnt mean defend then let your guard down for 2 seconds then defend again. This also proved annoying when the enemy went into a amazing 5 attack in a row, toward the 3rd strike he lets his sword down, WHY?! I lost time and time again in the arena because of this.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:35 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next