Just Finished The Suffering
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Just Finished The Suffering

I didn't see anyone else comment on this title, so I thought I'd give my impressions as I've just finished it. Not an adventure game per se, it is more of the action/adventure/horror genre, but personally I thought it was outstanding, and I'm a hardcore CRPG fan. The graphics aren't great but they are not bad either, but the use of light and shadows in the dreary environment is nicely done. The environment is VERY dark and in fact I gave up playing it twice because I couldn't turn up the gamma. Once I gave it a chance (and found my flashlight) I really got into it. I would compare this game to Realms of the Haunting (albeit with lesser adventure elements, ie object based puzzles) and The Undying. The atmosphere is exceedingly well done and the puzzles are clever. Interface is great. The journal and monster compendium (that updates as you meet new monsters and characters) are extremely well done. You find automaps scattered around, and when you pull up a map it shows your location with a red arrow and the rooms are all labeled so you can get around fairly easily. You will find several NPC's that help you find the shortest path to areas that you need to get to (if you can keep them alive). The areas are great. A lighthouse, mines, caves, a huge prison, an insane asylum, forests, docks and more, and all well stocked with nasty beasts, and I must say the incredible variety of monsters in this game are not stupid and all have different strategies to kill the character. I give a LOT of credit to the creative folks that thought up these beasts. Your arsenal includes the usual shotgun, pistols, flame thrower, tommy gun, dynamite, flash grenades (which I found useless), axe, molotov cocktail and there are probably a few I'm missing, but usually you need to figure out the best weapon for each beast.

This is a console port, but this should be a case study on how to do a conversion. The keys are completely configurable and they scrapped the 'checkpoint' system for a 'save anywhere' design (although you can still use the checkpoint function, I found it a little buggy; manually save often if you play). I don't keep track, but I'd say this game took about 25-30 hours to play, but I tend to be one of those players that likes to read everthing and thoroughly explore. If you run right through it, you could probably solve this game in 15-20 hours.

If I hadn't played all of the current CRPG's to death, I never would have considered playing a game like this. Trust me, this game is tough for people like me that are deficient in fast reflexes, but I'm glad I found The Suffering, and if you die, it takes less than 2 seconds for the game to load to the point right before the encounter that killed you so you can change weapons, heal, etc. and get it right the next time. I had a complete blast with this game, but it will leave you a sweaty, scared nervous wreck with it's use of shadows, light, fog, sound effects and a raw, brooding atmosphere the likes I've never seen before in a game. The first time you run out of flashlight batteries, you'll know what I'm talking about. I can't say I've ever used the word 'grueling' to describe a game, but this one comes close. It must be noted that this game is VERY gory and violent. It's a true bloodbath and not for young people or the squeamish or easily disturbed. Also, there are prodigious amounts of foul language from the NPC's. Just a warning.

In sum, if you've run out of CRPG's to play, you might enjoy this, especially because the price on this title should be dropping as it's been out a while now. Highly recommended!
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:50 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the reason why the port is good is because the developers, Surreal Software, originally were a PC game development house. so they know how to make PC games. just that they don't get the chance to anymore since their new owners won't let them

i definitely have this game on my "to play" list. i just haven't bought it yet because i hear it's fairly short (like 6 - 10 hours) and i don't wanna pay full Retail price for a game that is so short

if i find it for a decent price i'll definitely pick it up
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:54 pm
Psygnosis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Suffering does look good. Read it's got different endings and choices throughout the game, so it has some potential replay value.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:47 pm
achap1989
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

help

how do i play
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:00 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

As with all choose a side games in the past, this one was waaaay easier when you went bad, which I always do first

Going bad gave you power, you got to kill all in your path....and your beast form got the spike effect on the smash attack

Going good is the challenge in the game, working out how to save ppl, keep them alive long enough to assist you as far as possible

It does have replay value in this way, but not enough interest for me to play both sides more than once each

"I can handle anything that life throws at me. I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently - but I will handle it. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well DANCE!!!!!"
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:40 am