What have I done?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

What have I done?!

So there I was destroying M2 Xenon destroyers...

Trying to make good on my promise to clear a Xenon sector to set up shop, I took my Nemesis in with capital ship killing weapons primed (as far as I can tell it's use Pule Shockwave cannons vs capital ships or forget about trying to kill them... even a PPC doesn't do enough to ding their shields/paint/break potted plants). Things were going fine... bagged three destroyers and something like 30 fighters and a Xenon starbase without any real difficulty.

Turns out the M1 carriers are indestructable. Bummer. Still, they're not armed... just have to kill all the fighters in them.

I was in the sector for a purpose... seeing as I had destroyed everything I could I decided to move onwards.

Leaving the sector I saw a Xenon M2 in the adjacent sector. I have NEVER seen a Xenon capital ship outside it's home system before.

Suffice to say, there was cargo bits all over the place as the M2 trundled invincibly towards the sector I had just decimated. I killed it, and another one appeared... I killed it too and decided to cut my losses and head for the system I was supposed to be in.

Where there were 2 more M2s.

Space was filled with explosions as brave Argon pilots spat pea shooters at Godzilla and were summarily vaporized (lacking my 250k shields, strafe drive, and human reflexes they didn't do so hot against the 36 PPC each of the Xenon bad boys bring to bear). All I could do was watch in horror as entire trade fleets were destroyed.

I took out another battlecruiser, and another... and then a Khaak cluster attacked and bad things happened to the traders who were fleeing in horror from the Xenon Resurgence.

I killed the clusters and entered the next system... and it all became clear.

When I destroyed a M2 I must have triggered a Xenon mayday of epic porportions. A good percentage of the remnant forces were making their way towards the sector I had attacked. A constant stream of fighters filled entire sectors in single file, trying to get to where their brethren had fallen.

I'm certain in Xenon hindsight, they'll regret single file spread apart by three or four K. I parked my Nemisis at the jump gate they were heading for and screamed "You... shall not.... pass!!!". Most got to chirp surprise as they came into firing range and were vaporized by a Gamma Plasma weapon before they could swerve.

Finally I stopped the exodus. At least, from one angle... the xenon sector closest was the only ones sending reinforcements, I hope.

The death toll is thousands. An Argon titan was mauled by three M2 (I stayed clear of that particular battle) and destroyed. Some fool pirate base with laser turrets opened fire and was vaporized... as was the fleet of Pirate ships it launched to defend itself.

Swaths of destruction and shattered or crippled factories show the way between the two Xenon sectors. Perhaps a lucky 10% have freighters left... none have point defense ships...

I thought I was doing the universe a favor!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:19 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Xen-ocide?

Sounds pretty cool, actually. I think I might move into President's End rather than a Xenon sector (more central) but I still plan to kick some Xenon butt.

BTW, not being able to destroy the Xenon M2s is a bug - they were flagged as inactive but that will get fixed in 1.3.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

You're a better man than I Gunga Xen!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:08 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Xen and the art of butchering!
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:31 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
Xen and the art of butchering!

Nay friend Badger, 'tis Xen and the Art of Mayhem and Chaos
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:40 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Geez. I still run from combat like a 12-year-old girl chasing Anson Carter.

I wonder how your universe's economy will be affected by the destruction. All the AI transports respawn, but if entire factories are gone... Could be a nice profit opportunity.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Actually, there's a neat effect to that. I revisited the Xenon sector I originally attacked... it was still mostly empty of Xenon and the AI traders were capitilizing on it. No less than thirty traders were single filing between the north gate and the west gate, free from Xenon retribution.

I attacked another sector (with a shipyard in it). I was being hammered by three M2s which was seriously draining my shields... still, they weren't failing so I wasn't too concerned.

Suddenly I started losing systems as if I was taking damage to the hull, though.

"Cargo bay extension... destroyed."

"Hmm? What? I've still got 180k shields!"

"Jumpdrive destroyed." (this as I hit shift-j to get the hell out of town)

"What the --?"

"125k shield generator... destroyed."

"Well, that won't go over well... still, I still have 125k maximum shields..."

"125k shield generator... destroyed."

"..."

At this point there was nowhere and I mean NOWHERE I could hope to dodge to. I was pinned in by three M2s pounding away with Gamma PPCs. THe hull started taking something like 3000 damage a second and my computer went crazy reported damaged components.

"Son of a ...." I said, hitting S and then X as fast as possible.

My Pegaseus dropped away (it's a cool launch effect from M5s launching from M6s... you get to do the drop thing you see experimental aircraft do in movies before the boosters light.) as the Nemesis came apart spectacularly. I hit the boost accelerator and went from 0 to 1000 in about 1 second. A glancing blow from any of the Gamma PPC would utterly destroy my Pegaseus in one shot. I wasn't going to save anyways but I was determined to escape.

I jetted away at 1000, heading for the jump gate. Xenon interceptors were in hot pursuit, but nothing can catch a pegaseus... not even missiles.

Screwing conventional courtesy I hit the jump gate at 1000 and emerged doing a portion of that.

"Freedom!" was the declaration as my Pegaseus whipped through space at 500 as Xenon emerged behind me. I jetted up to 1000 again and juked back and forth, finally making a hard turn straight up....

And into the belly of the Argon destroyer in the system at 1000.

Didn't even nick the shields of the Titan. Can't say the same for the 1k shield, 777 hull Pegaseus.

Boom.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

That's going to put a dent in Baron von Xen's retirement fund. A fully decked M6 goes for what, 7mil?
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Weapons, shields, system upgrades and extensions included I'd say closer to 10 to 12 million than 7.

I don't know why my systems started taking damage, though... I know you can/do if rammed sometimes even if you're shields aren't even lightly damaged by the impact but I didn't think you could through normal weapons fire.

Of course, I had taken something like 400k damage or more during the fight, factoring in regeneration time and the number of times I went to 75% or 50% shields.

Still, it was unexpected and brutal.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:23 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Perhaps the bad guys got ahold of some mass drivers? 36x3 mass drivers @ 10 points per hit @ 1 shot per second (educated guesses on all those numbers) is over 1000 hull points per second.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They were definitely Xenon weapons. I thought they were PPC but perhaps they're PPC with some other special quality. It didn't start happening until a third M2 showed up and it looked a little different. Perhaps there was something special about it or its weapons....

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:36 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Xen, if you'd bailed with the hull still intact (wash my mouth out!) would the Xenon has stolen your ship? Or am I asking to much of the AI.

Also, have any of you in your travels come accross a hollow asteroid you could fly through? As per the intro movie.

Badger
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:17 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'm guessing that since your wingman cannot capture that enemy ships cannot either. After all, I bailed when there was still something like 3000 hull left (which is a pitiance compared to its normal value)... not that the Xenon could have prevented the ship from being destroyed. PPC overkill being what it is and all... the death bolts were already well on their way.

And yes... I've seen at least one. I might find more if I get heavier into mining as a break from combat.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:48 am