Members
Usergroups
Introducing DOSBox
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Introducing DOSBox

If you want to play your old and beloved classic which don't run in modern Windows enviroments, go and get <a href="http://dosbox.sourceforge.net" target="_blank">DOSBox</a>, which evens emulates a DOSBx under Linux. There's also a list of games supported so far, protected mode games like Ultima 7 don't work yet though!
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:44 am

Use Exult for Ultima 7:

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Mirek
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:47 am

Vidder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

V

Buy an old cheap pc (or get one for free) and install dos -> all games work (with correct tweaks in the autoexec.bat and config.sys) ;)
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:21 am

Buying the old PC - possible sollution, but not very nice. (I have an old Pentium 100 at home but not enough space on my desk and it is also being used by my father).

However the most important is future. No problem to get old PC now, but what will you do in 10 or 20 years? The same goes for various slow down programs for current PCs and various clever tricks (like switching off cache in my 1 Ghz Athlon). There will come a time when they will be useless.

So far we have Intel compatible architecture. But for how long? Sooner or later a new architecture will replace it. Yes, there will be certainly general PC emulators, but who cares for old DOS games. I tried the commerciall Virtual PC. I really tried to work with the bug ridden Bochs.

Specialized emulators like DOSBOX or EXULT will be usable (just after recompiling on a new platform). There is a similar situation with other old consoles/computers. If somebody wants to play SNES or ZX Spectrum game he can go only to emulators (or spent a lot of money to try to get original). Amiga games are in the similar situation (WinUAE rules!). Some PC games already went that way as well. Quite a lot are still playable (VDMSOUND or rebooting to DOS or slow down utility etc. - unfortunately mostly only temporary hacks which will not survive next generation of hardware/software).

Mirek
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:28 pm

Vidder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I dont see your problem (except your spacing problem with your pc :)
There is at the moment no better solution than to get an old pc and "recreate" the real environment as it was there in old times.

And where is the problem to do this in like 10 years? You dont have to get a PC for each Game era, but for each OS era.
Like a dos pc, a Windows pc and ... whatever will come.
When i want to play a game from the early days of like windows 98, it will also work now. (maybe with use of some slowdown software)

I think the same is valid for consoles. Why dont buy this old nes from ebay for not very much money? (who wants to play consolegames on pc anyways, whats with gamepads, tvscreen and so on... -> the "real" feeling)

The only nearly 100% usefull emulator i know of is winuae for the amiga. it really brings back the good old days on a modern computer, without much flaws..
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:29 pm
the_dagon

done it ! played all all old classics

I tried :
- Ultima 7
- Ultima 8
- Serpent Isle
- Privateer
- The Dig

everything is working fine, WITH sound under winXP using virtualPC 5.0.
http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5w.html

it emulates a complete PC with soundblaster 16. Runs in windows (XP/NT/2000) (!)

The hardest thing is to remember how to create your autoexec.bat & config.sys

Just don't forget (for privateer) DOS doesn't support digital joystick...

The rest is working 100%
Just go & try it.

There is also VMWare but I didn't try it.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:07 pm