Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Greatest Comeback In Sports History!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

The Greatest Comeback In Sports History!

I don't know if any of you pay attention to baseball, but if you do you probably know that the Red Sox were to first baseball team to come back from losing three straight games in a best of seven series to win. Now they're headed to the World Series! Woooohoooooo!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:45 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

And just to keep the info up to date, the Cardinals will be there as the NLCS champs this year. Boy was there a lot of people partying in the streets last night for the Cards!!!!
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:09 pm
erik
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, and now they are leading 2-0 in the World series, so they have already won 6 games in a row.

Member of the Sports Fans Club
Member of the Nonflamers' Guild
Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:44 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

MJ who wins the NBA finals again after retiring the first time.
Eddy Merckx after bgetting evicted from the Giro in 1969, just win EVERYTHING in the Tour De France.(Yellow, green, mountains, team and 6 victories)

Those two are the Greatest comebacks in the history of sports. Baseball is simply not widely spread enough to have a 'world' series IMO.
NFG member
Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:14 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
Baseball is simply not widely spread enough to have a 'world' series IMO.
I think you’re underestimating the popularity of Baseball. For instance, look how many countries are a part of the IBAF, who controls baseball for The Olympics. List of IBAF member states, 112 in all! Or check out the map. Even Belgium has a Softball league with 105 teams. And MJ, who is considered the greatest Basketball player of all time, winning another championship coming out of such a short retirement isn’t that big a comeback. On a scale of one to ten, personally I’d give it a 2.5.

In US sport we have a saying, that the single most difficult thing to do in all of sport is to hit a Baseball.
And to anyone who doesn’t agree with that, I challenge you to hit a decent curveball. Even at the High School level (ages 15-18 ) it is unbelievably difficult.
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:26 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

105 softball teams in Belgium. How many times they got the same men in a team? Baseball is only big in the USA. It's like cyclocross in Belgium and Netherlands. And yes there are other countries who do participate as well.(even the USA does) But only the previously named 2 really go for it.

Btw, I forgot a greate comeback in the history of sports: Muhamed Ali. (I don't think I have to refer ny further)

Anyway Roach, IMO what the Red Sox did is simply nothing compared to what Ali and Merckx did at their time. See this from my pov, baseball comes for me just above the level of darts, golf and bowling.(Those 3 aren't considered a sport by myself.) If you can understand this, you can also understand why the Red Sox achievement doesn't sound fantastic to me.
NFG member
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:48 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I'd be happier if it was called the 'Greatest Comeback in Baseball History'. Sports would be a little too broad. Consider Lance Armstrong, for one.

Wouldn't it be truly ironic if Boston went up 3 games to start and then lost it?
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:34 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
I'd be happier if it was called the 'Greatest Comeback in Baseball History'. Sports would be a little too broad. Consider Lance Armstrong, for one.

Wouldn't it be truly ironic if Boston went up 3 games to start and then lost it?

Ummm, vatacide, exactly how old *are* you anyway? That is a plot twist that the ancient greeks would've agreed was one of the best they'd ever written. What a perfect tragedy ... in the literal sense.

Personally I don't care if Boston wins or not ... but if they loose the next 4 straight ... well that would just be too divine for words *grin*
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:24 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide

Another one I 'forgot'. And Good point vaticide, I can completely concure with this line.
NFG member
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:16 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Eight in a row including a sweep of the world series. I don't care for baseball but that sounds pretty impressive to me.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:40 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I will still insist that yes it is the greatest comeback ever. Bartacus, listen. Before this year, never in the 100+ years of baseball history has a team ever come back from being down three games to none in a seven game series. Never. Not to mention most of their starting pitchers were worn out from pitching, so they were forced to use the slumping Derek Lowe (who managed to pitch brilliantly), not to mention that their number one starter, Curt Schilling, had a messed up ankle, yet still managed to beat the Yankees in game 6. You could see the blood from his ankle through his sock. And then, after just barely beating the Yankees, they went on to win their first World Series in 86 years. And yes, it should be called the world series because no other team in the world could possibly beat the U.S. baseball champion. And, yes, baseball is popular in other countries (Japan, Cuba, Dominican. . .).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:25 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

im not usually much for baseball, but my best friend (who moved over the summer) was in town and we watched the final game of the series. that last out was very well played, i loved the lazy jog/walk that the pitcher did before he underhand threw the ball to the first baseman. after the game, me and romel went outside and noticed that the moon was blood red. very nice color for the Red Sox first series win since 1918!

Broken in Exile
Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:17 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
I will still insist that yes it is the greatest comeback ever. Bartacus, listen. Before this year, never in the 100+ years of baseball history has a team ever come back from being down three games to none in a seven game series. Never. Not to mention most of their starting pitchers were worn out from pitching, so they were forced to use the slumping Derek Lowe (who managed to pitch brilliantly), not to mention that their number one starter, Curt Schilling, had a messed up ankle, yet still managed to beat the Yankees in game 6. You could see the blood from his ankle through his sock. And then, after just barely beating the Yankees, they went on to win their first World Series in 86 years. And yes, it should be called the world series because no other team in the world could possibly beat the U.S. baseball champion. And, yes, baseball is popular in other countries (Japan, Cuba, Dominican. . .).

OK At cyclocross we once (and this was also never done before) to get the first 10 cyclists from Belgium in a WB manche. A few years before we didn't even win one in a season. This counts for me much more then your Red Sox baseball World Series. I guess for you it doesn't sound impressive at all, so does the baseball story sounds for me.

Btw, about beating the US: weren't they beatn by Japan or another country recentely. (I remember sth like that on the news.)
NFG member
Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:02 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
Btw, about beating the US: weren't they beatn by Japan or another country recentely. (I remember sth like that on the news.)
This past year we got beat in the qualifying game for the Olympics by Mexico, but this sounds very misleading. Major League Baseball has four different leagues - from least to best - A, AA, AAA (Minors), and the Majors. US Olympic Baseball teams are usually made up entirely of collage (university) players, A, and Double A players. The real shame of the loss was that Roger Clemens, a Major League future Hall of Famer, said he’d be willing to pitch in the finals. If Major League Baseball players started to play it wouldn’t be fair to teams outside of North and Central America, though it would be fun to see. *To MLB fans* If MLB All-Stars played in the Olympics, could you imagine a US vs Dominican Republic game? They’d make the Gold Medal winning Cubans look like single A players.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:59 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I think I must agree that this is the Greatest comeback in sports history. To be bad enough to go down 0-3 and then be good enough to win 4 straight, when all the injuries work against your team, is the stuff of legend. When you throw in the fact that you have to win the last two on the road and you have 86 years of history to say that you can not beat this team, I have to call this the greatest comeback in sports history.

I even put it above Lance Armstrong, even though coming back from cancer is some great stuff. Baseball more than any other sport requires a full team effort. All other sports can be influenced and essentially won by one man in a period of brilliance. This is impossible with baseball. So for the Sox to comeback and win 4 straight, means that the entire team got it right at the same time. I think this feat is more difficult than any one person overcoming cancer, especially when that person takes great care of himself in the first place and gets early diagnosis and treatment.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next