Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Can a cleric be something else than a healing machine?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Peter Stauffenberg
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

Yep. I'm an old-timer. I even remember computers like Commodore Pet, Commodore 64, Apple II, Spectrum etc. I had a lot of fun on those computers with classics like Zork 1, 2 and 3 etc. Those were the times.

I'm glad the discussions about how "bad" RPing really was for young people disappeared, but they unfortunately appeared again this January after a murder in Sweden. The police found out that the guy who was killed was a live role-player and played Vampire the Masquerade as well.

Look at the first message behind this link for some info: http://pub35.ezboard.com/fjdwikersboardsfrm9.showMessage?topicID=5.topic

The press only wrote about this for a few weeks so it's fortunately more normal again now. I feel it's wrong that the press put so much focus on what hobby the man had.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

To err is human, to forgive, divine. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hehe, my first console was Pong, later an Atari 2600 which still exists, but I shied from all things even remotely 'computer' (excepting those I needed at university) until I bought a third-hand Amstrad PCW, also known as Schneider Joyce, to write my thesis. Blast, the thing used two-faced 3" floppies - not 3 1/2" - and didn't have a HDD at all! I will never forget the day I was static and managed to shock it into resetting by simply touching it.
Ah, memories...

The hobby discussion always follows massacres. It's a pity, actually. Some kids blow a fuse and kill somebody. What? They played shooters? Dang, let's hang them, plus the gaming industry.
Hm.
Could it be *many* kids play shooters *without* becoming murderers? It's a quite common hobby among kids of a certain age. If Joe Average commits something heinous, the fact that he's a rabid football fan is rarely brought into the crime discussion, mainly because it's not vital to the case. Well yes, it shouldn't be. It's just a hobby. I won't deny that shooters et.al. can topple a psychically unstable kid, but that's not the problem of the shooter, or RPG, or whatever, IMO it's mainly a problem arising of neglecting children.

Okay okay, I'll stop the rant now, the topic is about clerics, isn't it? I used to play many clerics back in the days of AD&D, mainly because they were well-balanced allrounders - a bit of magic, some fighting ability there you are. In our groups they were rarely used as ambulances, although the medical spells came in handy at times.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:53 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Saw this today and thought it appropriate.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:55 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:43 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ah, a nice discussion about clerics. Always did like that class.

Speaking of clerics and rping, Xen, you still planning to keep the Yahoo rp group alive or is it on semi-permanent vacation?

@corwin: Nice!
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:19 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hehe. I still wonder why they always show Doom as a standard example of violent video games after something happened. After all, Doom was just another Lego war . And Frogger was awfully brutal as well.
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2