Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where are the original portraits on the CD`s ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Where are the original portraits on the CD`s ?

Hello !

I want to use some of the portraits of NWN in my pen and Paper campaign but i cannot seem to find them anywhere one either the NWN-Directory on my Hardisk nor on one of the three CD`s .

Any help ?

Lannister
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:34 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I remember looking for them as well (but for a different purpose).. I also remember I couldn't find them. I think they're packed inside the module files..
But once you start a game with a character, and save it (the character or the game, I'm not sure), you will be able to extract and/or change the portrait of your character... It's in targa format.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:24 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/portraits/portraits_game.shtml

has the original portraits and some added by others. The added portraits are brilliant.

They are mixed together though under Official Portraits, so it may take a little time to find and sift out the originals, unless you use the search and look for specific portraits.

I hope this helps.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:16 pm
Peter Stauffenberg
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

You can download a custom program for extracting and viewing the files in NWN. I guess there are several different programs available.

One I downloaded last Fall was NWN Viewer 1.01 by Zoligato. You can download the program from here: Click here

Just extract the ZIP file and start NWNVIEWER.EXE

Then you should find the following commands from the command menu.
Select File -> BIF -> Neverwinter Nights

The portraits used by the game are found here in the BIF List window: data\textures_02.bif (ID 23)

This will give you access to the data stored inside and this file and it's shown in the File List window.

The portraits in the list have a prefix of po_

E. g.:
Female elven portraits have the prefix: po_el_f
Male human portraits ahve the prefix: po_hu_m

Also remember that you need 5 files from every portrait (Huge, Large, Medium, Small and Tiny).

To extract a portrait you just mark the ones you like in the list by using shift and/or ctrl to mark several portraits.

E. g. to get the portraits needed for a gorgeous female human fighter you mark the 5 lines from ID 3272 to ID 3276

Then right click on one of the selected files and select Extract file(s) to. You can now stored the TGA type files wherever you want by.

If you want to change the TGA file type to BMP, JPG or GIF you can start a program like Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro and convert it to the desired file type. You can resize and crop the file to fit the size you need for an avatar or whatever.

Please also notice that you have access to all portraits with this program. That includes the monster portraits as well. So if you like a monster portrait and want to use it for your own PC you can store the portraits in the NWN/Portraits directory.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

To err is human, to forgive, divine. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
Post Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:37 pm