Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Your preference concerning creatures in CRPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

In CRPGs what is your creature spawn preference?
When I kill all creatures in an area, I want that area to stay clean.
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
I want creatures I kill to respawn in some fashion so I can go back to an area and do more killing.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
I have no preference - either way is fine with me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

It depends of the area and the game.

How fun is it when you have finaly cleared an area with your low level char, and then they are respawned next time you are there.

But i think its good in most games, so that you can do some leveling up...
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:00 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Generally I'd prefer areas to stay clean.

If I've finished that area including all the quests but I have to travel back through to another area to finish some thing I overlooked I'd rather just be able to do it rather than get waylaid.

Sometime when mobs respawn I feel compelled to clear the whole map again which gets tedious, but some level of reaqlism is obviously a good thing.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:16 pm
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps

While I would agree that killing just for killing sake gets boring and tedious, for the purpose of increasing my character's level (stats, etc. depending upon the system used) I like some in game system such as killing respawning creatures to allow me to level as I choose. Generally, I play a game once through as the designers meant - but it is frequently fun to replay again with a higher level character. This is generally not possible (without using out of game cheats) unless there is a fairly high creature respawn to allow for this.

While it is true that XP can be built up in other ways than killing the "cannon fodder" of respawning creatures, I cannot recall a single game that allowed mechanisms for this. If you can give an example, please do.

Perhaps it would then be a designer's goal to limit persistent and easy level-ups by making the # of creatures in the game finite, instead of endless.

Although my personal preference is for a long-term respawn, but a short-term "area clear" sort of deal. It just doesn't make sense that if I kill off a certain area that more and more monsters will just keep popping out of nowhere with minutes. Feels like I'm playing an arcade game. I favor the idea of monsters gradually coming back every week or so until they reach maximum capacity.

Gothic is the closest I've come to a system that I like; the only problem was that monsters respawned by chapter, and not by time interval... You could spend 4-5 months of gametime sleeping and such and the monsters wouldn't come back...

BTW, I voted for the no respawn option, even though I would prefer the long-term respawn...

- Wind
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:46 am
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

respawning is more realistic but an autoleveler is needed for this
nothing is more boring than fighting 100 times puny enemys with lvl 20 characters!
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:53 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by TheRaven
respawning is more realistic but an autoleveler is needed for this
nothing is more boring than fighting 100 times puny enemys with lvl 20 characters!

Respawining more realistic? Well, that strongly depends on how it's implemented... If it's done over a long period of time of inactivity, then yes, maybe. But you find it more realistic to leave an area that you cleared, and come back seconds later to find it filled to the walls again?

If you go out and kill all the deers in a forest, will they "respawn" right away and come back as if nothing ever happened?
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:34 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
If you go out and kill all the deers in a forest, will they "respawn" right away and come back as if nothing ever happened?

I don't think anybody here would suggest a respawn in a short time period. Respawn should be in some sensible manner that will "feel" right when played in the game - yes, some reasonable time period for natural creatures to repopulate an area would be required. On the other hand, it is also very unrealistic to assume that you COULD kill all the deer in an area - most would run away and/or hide from you - so in that scenario all that really happens when you go away is that they forget the danger (deer and other like critters DO have short memories) and come out of hiding.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:55 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

There are a couple of issues involved when you talk about realism in the creature repopulation of an area. For one thing, I've never seen as many animals in the woods as you see in games. I usually hear creatures way more often then I see them.

Another thing is the amount of time it takes for an area to repopulate. I happen to know a story about deer and how long it took, in one case, for an area to repopulate.

My uncle has a friend who has been an officer of Fish and Game in the state of Maine for about 35 years. He tells a story about an area in northern Maine (I forget the size but it was big!) where the population of whitetail deer were wiped out by a disease. The epidemic happened in the late 1940's and the area was still in recovery (low but increasing population) when Dale joined Fish and Game in the 1960's.

If it takes fifteen or twenty years for a devastated area to recover then realism in a game is out of the question! It seems, though, that since it can take a long time for such a recovery to be completed that it isn't unreasonable to expect game devs to at least space respawns out a little bit.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:24 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, I think I'm being taken by my word a bit too literally I was only trying to illustrate that realism is not even an issue in a game like this. A great filmmaker once said that things don't need to be realistic in a film, they have to be interesting. Often times you have to forego realism to be interesting. This also applies to games, in my opinion.

And so that being said I was merely mentioning that we can't talk of realism wether or not there are re-spawns or not in any given game. The issue here is: is it good or not? That belongs in the realm of personal taste I think. I myself like my areas to stay clear
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2