Usergroups
PROBABLY GEFORCE3 BUG FIX!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi guys. There is a well known problem with Gothic for the guys with a GeForce 3. The owners know that. I tried much and I think I fixed it. I testen the Gothic demo for 10 minutes after the tweak and the problem was gone! This is what you have to do:
Go to the OpenGL tab in your "Additional Properties" in Advance Video Card option in Properties. Then follow me with this:

BUFFER FLIPPING MODE: USE BLOCK TRANSFER
VERTICAL SYNC: ALWAYS OFF (although I don't know if this has anything to do with it.. guess not)
After I did that the problem was gone.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 1:51 pm

In the read me or faq, it mentions making sure certain things were set on the DirectX tab. I think this game uses directX, not openGL.

Maybe somebody who knows for sure can clear this up.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:32 pm

Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is that so? Hmmm.... if it's really DirectX then I don't know how the prob got fixed.....

Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:39 pm

What problems do Geforce 3 owners have? I'm running the game at 1280x1024x32, 64 tap anisotropic filtering and 2x FSAA....no problems here.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:09 pm

I plan to try this tonight as I am desparate to get the game to display correctly.

If that doesn't work I'll try the 23.10 drivers.

What drivers are you using and what card do you have?
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:10 pm

Oh, and in case you didnt know vertical sync does nothing to "solve" problems...all it does is determine whether or not to keep framerates in sync with the monitors refresh rate.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:11 pm

Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah, hard to believe but I know the purpose of VSync.

The problems the Geforce 3 has? Kind of Z-Buffer problems! Flames of torches appear BEHIND the background. For example --> The flame of a torch appears behind a mountain in the background. So it's like a GREAT fire in the distance... but actually it's the flame of the torch that's not placed far in front of the mountain but behind.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:38 pm
wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The 23.10 drivers solved all of my Prophet III problems.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:46 am

Maybe I'm just unlucky. While the 23.11 drivers did fix the graphical problems, they introduced large slowdowns in framerate.

There is a noticible lag when clicking the down/up arrows and a menu entry, dialog option, or inventory item being selected.
Also, during game play I experience huge lags during game play (even though it looks great).

Most notably it occurs in-game when the game takes over the camera control for me.

Athlon 1Ghz
GeForce3 Ti200
Win98 SE
384 MB PC-2100

I know I've posted this same issue in many related threads, but I'm hoping to find somebody saying they are having the same issue. Those who have no issues with the 23.10 or 23.11 drivers, what are your system specs?
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 2:29 pm

wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You might want to reset your Geforce3 settings to their defaults, some of mine were wrong. Most notible the "fog table emulation" was disabled and I had to change this to avoid having an almost black (or blue) screen.

One thing I did change was to set the Texture memory to 128MB.

I have no slowdowns running 1600x1200x32 with all of the settings maxed out.

My system is a Pentium 4, 1.7GHZ Dell Dimension 8100 with 640MB of memory. My video card is a Hercules Prophet III with 64MB. I'm also running Windows 98SE since Windows Me ran for crap on my box.

What are your in-game settings for resolution, viewing distance, etc?

You might want to experiment with reducing the viewing distance to 100% which might reduce the textures loading.

You also might want to check to see if your disk is particularly fragmented. This is kind of a generic tip though since I don't know how much Gothic would write to the hard drive anyhow.

[ This Message was edited by: wysiwyg on 2001-12-04 09:43 ]
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:42 pm
Cymon01
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the response, wysiwyg.

I thought I best register since I've been posting a number of messages so far.

I've tried reducing color depth and display size as well as texture depth, all to no avail.

The PCI texture size you are setting (in theory) shouldn't have any effect at all if you have an AGP card and have AGP enabled.

Tonight I am going to disable AGP mode and test (then I will need to up the size of PCI memory).

The two other options I have are to upgrade to WindowsXP or downgrade to my GeForce256. Both are cruddy option, but swapping out the video card will be less trouble.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:02 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Cymon, please post your system specs. I think some of your problems might be explainable if you have a non Intel system like mine.

If you have, I'd advise you NOT to upgrade to XP - there are serious problems with games, VIA and Geforce.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:12 pm
Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree! I have friends and they had much game probs with Windows XP.
Are you sure your AGP rate is x4? Oh and are you using 3DMark2001? If yes then give me your specs and benchmark score, I'm sure I can help you much then!

Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:13 pm

The new detonator drivers, 23.11 ... fix every issue. Game is awesome 300% view distance 1600x1200x32 ... nice
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:14 am

Cymon01
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, didn't read your warnings in time. I have upgraded to WinXP Pro.

Gothic runs awesome for me. QuakeGL also runs just fine. I plan to test a few other titles like NOLF, Unreal Tournament, STV:Elite Force, and the NFS titles: High Stakes & Porsche Unleashed. This way I can see how a number of different rendering engines perform.

Luckily I am no longer the owner of a VIA chipset based board. I've got an ECS SiS735 based board. I had nothing but problems with my old MSI board due to my SBLive.

If I run into any issues, I'll let you know. Of course, there is probablly a better forum for that type of info. Any recommondations?
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:55 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next