Sneaking not working
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Sneaking not working

I have sneak as one of my major skills, and it is at 46, but I can't seem to sneak. The default key is supposed to be left Cntrl, but that doesn't work. Given that I am a thief, this is a bit of a problem. the z key seems to make me look as though I am sneaking, but I remember a little icon should appear, and it doesn't. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Nobody? I now have a pickpocket/sneak skill of 68 and I still can't pickpocket the key I need for the second Thief Guild quest. The key definitely is Ctrl, because I can sometimes sneak, but I have yet to succesfully pickpocket anyone. I would have though that a skill level of 68 would have been enough to do the SECOND quest in the Thief guild - it's not as though I'm at a high level in the Guild.
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:16 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sneak's a tricky one, and it seems to be quite variable. When it works, it works fine; when it doesn't, it's a mystery.

Try wearing shoes instead of boots, and time your movements for when people are looking away or are behind scenery.

Also, as Sneak depends on your Agility and Luck attributes, try boosting them with potions or spells before your attempt.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:38 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks. My Agility is very high, but my Luck is only around 40. I'll keep trying. I spend a lot of time sneaking past enemies in the wilderness, which is bumping my sneak skill. Maybe when I get to 100 I'll actually be able to steal something. Anyway, as I am a thief, I'll just keep on upping the sneak and security skills and see what happens. It's a nice change from the battle mage types I played in my last two games.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:34 am
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

For the icon to appear, you have to be within somebody else's perception area. That means if you try to sneak when there's nobody close enough to notice you, you won't get the icon and your sneak skill won't improve. This be confusing at times, since you may see the icon and then as somebody moves too far away, the icon will disappear.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I've heard that the skill increases no matter where you sneak. Like you would have to sneak from vivec to khuul.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:55 am