Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why does Gothic 2 kick me back to desktop every 10-15 mins?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Why does Gothic 2 kick me back to desktop every 10-15 mins?

I've noticed that after about 10 to 15mins of gameplay Gothic 2 (English) just kicks me back to the desktop, without any error etc,

What gives?

Here are my specs:

P3, 1GHZ, 256RAM, WINXP, DX 8.1a, NVIDEA GFORCE 2 GO 32 DDR, 43.82 drivers, 25GIG FREE HARD DISK SPACE

Is there any way to solve this problem?
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:36 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

My experience is that G2 is very stable. It probably puts your noteboke under enormous stress. Maybe itīs a small configuration problem.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:50 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

When you say "small configuration problem" what do you mean?

Config as in gfx config in the game, or config as in config of my sys?

Anyway to fix it?
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:06 am

Re: Why does Gothic 2 kick me back to desktop every 10-15 mi

quote:
Originally posted by oozle
I've noticed that after about 10 to 15mins of gameplay Gothic 2 (English) just kicks me back to the desktop, without any error etc,

What gives?

Here are my specs:

P3, 1GHZ, 256RAM, WINXP, DX 8.1a, NVIDEA GFORCE 2 GO 32 DDR, 43.82 drivers, 25GIG FREE HARD DISK SPACE

Is there any way to solve this problem?

That's a real broad question....in order to solve whatever's broke, you're going to have to do some troubleshooting. BTW, laptops (with their associated baggage) are not the best gaming platforms, but I guess you use what you got

Couple thoughts....biggest issue with laptop's is generally power managment and heat.
Aka, disable standby/HD, screen timeouts. Also disable Intel Speedstep and make sure your laptop is in a well ventilated area and or get some supplemental cooling if you're going to play alot of games (they make external fan-stands for different laptop models).
Also, make sure all the the laptop's BIOS updates and patches are installed. And disable all the extra stuff in startup that always seems to be installed on laptops (this includes antivirus software).

Outside if that, kill off any extra apps you're running then load the game with barebones graphics (800x600-16 bit...disable all the thrills) as well as disabling the audio from within gothic.ini (think the option is "nosound" ).

Load the game and see if you can crash it. If so, go into display properies and dial down the "accelleration" tab a bit. If that fixes it, you might start looking at reinstalling DX6+Video drivers.

If you can't crash it, start reenabling things (in bunches of three or four to save time) and see if you can pin down what's causing the crash.

I don't have the game in front of me, But I think there are some debug functions in gothic.ini...maybe someone here remembers if they cause a log file to be written if enabled?

Also, you might consider disabling all that extra devices that are likely built-in on your laptop (irda, Wired and or wireless NIC, modem, bluetooth, pull any USB 2.0 devices you have installed, pcmcia cards...etc) and run the test again. Are you in a docking station? Undock and test it out.

-Damifino
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:44 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A good post.
My first guess was heat. Maybe you should start with a stability test. Run Prime95 and at the same time a 3DMark loop. If your system survives this torture for 2 hours without crash or miscalculation your system is stable.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:23 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I notice that I can play for about 45 mins in windowed mode. Why is this? Is it less strain on the gfx card in windowed mode?
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:54 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I tried using the 30.82 drivers and it seems to now run fine.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:26 am
damifino
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cool deal
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:38 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but what do you mean b 'cool deal' ?
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:04 am
damifino
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by oozle
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but what do you mean b 'cool deal' ?

It's kinda a backcountry Texas saying I guess, long for "cool".

-Damifino
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:43 am