Usergroups
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I bid on this at ebay based on people's recommendations. So far I'm winning.

I also downloaded the demo, and I gotta say, I'm not impressed. The combat is very poor, it's hard to juggle the members of the party, and it seems storyless.

So what's the deal?
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Use the search function to find a detailed comparison to Gothic.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:23 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yeah, I read that already, but I wasn't expecting the combat to be *that* bad. I don't think I could take a whole game of that...unless maybe I have only one person in my party, that wouldn't be too bad. But from the demo, it seems like one person would get clobbered.

It really doesn't make sense that the vampires are so weak (of course, maybe I have to build levels or something).

[ This Message was edited by: Lysander on 2002-04-10 15:53 ]
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:32 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Combat is chaotic throughout the whole game. I´m quite happy nobody asked the NPCs to open a banana.
The story is actually pretty good, the voice acting also. The three endings are pretty, ahem, uncommercial.
I enjoyed it, but IMO Vampire was too long and too linear.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:55 pm

Vampire kicks major ass! I dont see anything wrong with the combat just that you have to get used to it, i love how the whole game is, only problem I have is not being able to run around and explore like in Gothic but the game was designed differently, the story kicks ass, graphics are amazing, and its not a wussy buffy the vampire slayer crap thing, its cool as hell
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:40 pm

Blizzard
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really enjoyed the game too. I've played it three times now, and I still think it rocks!
The combat is slow in the beginning, when creatures are weak and few. When u get better equipment and/or spells and the enemies get tougher, u'll have more fun, I guess. It's quite a challenge...
The story is VERY good, I think. But it's a shame it's so linear.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:26 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

If you already played the demo and didn't like it - then you SHOULD not bother. I forced myself to finish the game once and then forgot it. I was extremely disappointed.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:04 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I loved Vampire the Masqurade! The story was great and the acting was very believable. I liked the story much more than Arcanum, which everyone just raves about!

To be honest, though, as I finish more CRPG games I realize that Arcanum wasn't really for me. I'm beginning to see that, in comparison to some of the other games I've played recently, I thought Arcanum was kinda lame.

I didn't mind the combat in VtM-R, I don't know why you would, every time you play a new game you have to learn a new combat system anyway. I didn't have any trouble controlling the party, either.

The only thing I really didn't like was the pathfinding (is that what it's called?) of the party. If I didn't keep an eye on them in some places they would get irreversibly stuck on things, making me reload. The Nosferatu tunnels and the Tremere passages come to mind. That was the only problem I had and it seemed minor compared to how much I liked the game.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:57 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

It seems to be a good game, i have only played the demo and it was to short.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:35 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, i have no problem with the party in Arcanum. Btw, can that little problem make one dislike the game? Hmm...
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:39 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Hmm, i have no problem with the party in Arcanum. Btw, can that little problem make one dislike the game? Hmm...

No... absolutely not! I wouldn't say I dislike Arcanum anyway. I played the game all the way to the end--even after the level cap made continuing seem kinda pointless. Arcanum just got really boring to me several times. The fact that I finished AOS&MO proves that I liked it over all. I'm not someone who can stick with a game I don't like. I dropped Wizardry 8 like a hot potato!

Arcanum still stands as one of my favorite games It just holds the bottom position. That really isn't bad for me considering that I finish way fewer games than I start.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Did you go to www.terra-arcanum.com and get the level cap remover? That would have let you keep leveling until the end of the game and aleviated the understandable tedium of continuing without hope of advancement (though my level 44 mage had 16 character points at the end just sitting there. I maxed out dex and melee for something to do before the final fight. )

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:28 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Did you go to www.terra-arcanum.com and get the level cap remover? )

Yes, I did that after you mentioned the link in another thread. I couldn't get it to work and I'm not really sure why. I was a little confused about which patch to use so I tried them both! Ahh well, applying patches to any software is one of my great dreads in life.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:21 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hmmm... I've never had a reason to put the level cap remover in, so I can't say exactly how to do it... even my kill everything in sight including all the cities sorcerer only hit 44...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:45 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

3 endings in vampire? how do you get them?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next