Bought Gothic 2 last week.... my views!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
DBrown67
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bought Gothic 2 last week.... my views!

I feel the need to let rip about Gothic 2..... and how brilliant it is! THIS is what I call an adventuring! Sure, graphics aren't everything... but in this game they really are excellent.

How come I never read any great things about this game? I only came across this game through PC Gamer magazine, then on the net with RPG.com. And from there, I did various other web site searches. I can't believe the magazine press in general did not give this game the reviews it deserves!

Yes, some of them give average to good scores.... but my regular read only gave it 80%. And 80% games don't usually grab my attention. Is it something to do with the publisher? Had it been EA breaking into the RPG genre, would the scores have been different?

I'm still in chapter 1, and searching out the island. Doing as many quests as possible. The game was very difficult at first, with SAVE being my best friend. I noticed that more than a couple of magazine reviews complained about the amount of running backwards and forwards there was, and the time it took. HELLOOOOOO!!! Do you not want large game worlds?! If you have a large world, you'll have lot's of running about in an open world! And having some kind of teleporter will just kill the whole immersion. For me anyway.

Only UK magazine PC Gamer put this above Morrowind... which made me check it out on the net. I'm glad I did!

My only criticisms so far (and they are minor)... some questsdon't seem to show up in your journal. But that's a minor point as I did remember them anyway, and they weren't major quests. And some items in the journal show up in German.... but a patch should fix that.

As for the next(!) Gothic game.... how about having some more life in the Taverns? They seem quite dull in there. In BG2 you had the music and background noise that really enhanced the atmosphere for that room. In Gothic 2 people just mumble across a beer waiting for you to talk to them.
But I love the way that people go about thier lives in the day/night scenarios. That's great.

However, these are meant as constructive criticisms... and don't affect the game enjoyment in general. And remember, I'm still only in Chapter 1.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:48 pm
karaknic
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's nice to know that there are people who try good games despite grumpy critics
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:17 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

if Gothic came under the name "The Elder Scrolls III: Gothic" from Bethesda Softworks it had gained much better reviews
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:07 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I failed to understand some critics... Gothic is so damn orginial and full of realism, great graphics, amazing story line, best one ive seen since the fallout series!
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:00 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums.

Be happy, most of the game is still ahead of you, and Gothic 1 is almost as good.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:40 pm
pvthudson01
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

So the question is, will you still be playing in months to come like MOrrowind with all its expansions?

If so I am sold.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:58 pm
DBrown67
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This game has certainly grabbed my attention. I've played it almost every day since buying it. I'm now in Chapter 2 as a mercenary, and I honestly didn't expect a second map as large as the first! I just love how you can come and go between maps clearing out certain areas when you think you are strong enough, even if they don't follow the main story.

Baldurs Gate 2 was the last game I played to this level of intensity. However, I never really go for the replay factor. Yes, I know there will be slightly different quests, but once is usually enough. I do try to clear every area and pick every plant though!!!
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:06 pm
Exetor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Hagen
I failed to understand some critics... Gothic is so damn orginial and full of realism, great graphics, amazing story line, best one ive seen since the fallout series!

I never understood why, in reading 2 major Computer Gaming mags/month for the past 4-5 years, the best thing I ever read about Gothic I was "unfortunatlly underappreciated, mostly due to clumsy interface and poor documentation".

That can turn many people off, yet it says NOTHING about the other 98% of the game, which is, obviously, one of the most original and engrossing games ever devised.

I just installed my Gothic II, and now must say goodbye (until I need to rave or ask for help!).
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:45 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This is easy to understand. A magazine editor has probably less than 1 day to play a game and another day to write the article. 'Big' games are played by more than one editor for a longer time and receive 8 pages. 'Small' games are tested by 1 editor and get only 1 page or maybe even less. Itīs all about money. The time the editing staff can spend on testing every month is limited because these people have to be paid.
So the average test in a print mag is based upon just a few hours of hurried play, in most cases of a late beta version. Iīm not aware of a single mag in which the testers have the time to finish a game.
Especially when it comes to RPGs and complex eco and combat simulations print mags arenīt worth the paper theyīre printed on.
Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:28 am