Usergroups
English Subtitles text for German Gothic 2 Demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
alyF
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Xerxes712, you're the man ! I've just downloaded the demo and I would prefer playing it with english subtitles. Ich spreche ein bißchen Deutsch, aber ich kann leider nicht alles vertehen Way the go!
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:12 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

let us know if we can do anything and where you are up to with it
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:45 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Xerxes, I'll proofread your translation if you want me to .
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:03 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

I have a host for you. Please give me you'r mail adress and I will give you a place to upload.

My mail adress is Freakie_1@hotmail.com

Gothic II Credits
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:29 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Xerces, Iīm a native German speaker, and my knowledge of english is reasonable. If you need a helping hand for a more or less correct translation send me a private message, the problem is, I wonīt have internet access until monday again so I canīt start to help you before the end of the weekend.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:52 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks Freakie, I will use that.

Yes, Freakie gave me a site where it will and can be downloaded from. It will be big, but later I make a program that patches in only the relevant data and that MOD patch would be very much smaller, for now it will be the whole raw files like game.dat which is 5 MEG and another...got to get back to translating...it does take time...I go as fast as I can...

I want a lest a decent beta up through the bandits for people to try...the first real interactive conversation tree....then release more as I go...it will be coming baring any technical difficulties.. in a few days.

I have to eat and sleep too.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:13 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is another aspect you didnīt take into account yet.

Itīs possible that your translation will harm the Gothic II sales in the English speaking world! The info that the translation is fan-made might get lost somewhere. And then many people could base there buying decision upon a German demo with non-professional subtitles.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:36 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Re: Thanks Freakie, I will use that.

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
I have to eat and sleep too.

You have to eat No YOU MUST TRANSLED!!!!!!!

just Kidding

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Itīs possible that your translation will harm the Gothic II sales in the English speaking world! The info that the translation is fan-made might get lost somewhere. And then many people could base there buying decision upon a German demo with non-professional subtitles.

Well if we only link that patch here threre in no problem I think, or when he writes on the patch that he created it

Gothic II Credits
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:26 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

He could note that in his translation of the fist converstion with Xardas. Something like "*Fan created translation*"

I would recomend checking with BP(or read the software agreement) if it's okay to modify and redistribute these files.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:45 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

This whole thing sounds great to me. I don't speak or understand a word of German, and I will be buying this game anyway. I would love to be able to play the demo early though, so good luck with a speedy translation.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:07 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Jung
...the fist converstion with Xardas...

Ouch. A fist conversation with Xardas? I bet that would hurt .
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:09 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Does sound painful.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:20 am
corwin

Only in the translation my friend, only in the translation!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:32 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, I am finishing up on the first bandit and Brago you meet. I have not translated all the stuff with Xardas yet, since it is not important right now.

Because of the code and text string constraints, yes as I said some text has to be compressed to fit the "german text space" originally there. If I lenghten the text, the speech will not play -not really a problem yet.

I did consider how if it may hurt things. That is why people who can speak native German (I do not at all) make sure I got it 'reasonable' right. By understanding what is said during the speech text, I am almost 100% got it down. Of course, I do not know the artist professional original intent would be. Some how let people understand this is a BETA MOD. I know the demo is really annoying NOT having any understanding or read.

I am not translating the whole demo yet, just enough to see what people think. Native speakers can help too, thanks. I am very busy Hex Editing and it takes time. Without no English demo until game is released, most people will not even BOTHER to download the huge German Demo since they can not understand it. I believe it will do more good than harm; heck that is why I did not play into the game that much -because it is spoiling the demo without knowing what is being spoken!

Thanks everyone for your help and will use it as soon as I get something like the bandits tree conversation done, then upload to yout site and let Jaz, Gorath, and other proof read it to see if I got the flavor of it.

Thanks for your support, check out out soon what I have done -then we can decide if further translation should be done
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:23 am
HornOx
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
Automatic translators really do not get the complex meaning of German sentence for the most part. I noticed in the data files there are files with thier English transcripts along with the in-game German text. Very odd.
But the are fast
Rename ou.bin, menu.dat and gothic.dat. Then unzip this file in your Gothic2 Folder and start Gothic2.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:59 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next