SWG:Brag, brag, and then brag some more
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

SWG:Brag, brag, and then brag some more

After all the pain required to get it, I just can't help myself.

Sunrise and sunset at my new base.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:10 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, you can brag all you want, I really couldn't care less now Those two big monsters up there are part of the reason why I'm back to covert... Maybe I'm just not good enough for the PvP in this game
/shrug
Oh well!
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:00 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Congrats on the pets! I don't care much for the walkers, especially since last night when I saw about 4 guys with 7 AT-STs killing krayt dragons... really makes me laugh.

I can just see the Emperor ordering a small army of chicken walkers in the Northern wastes of Tattooine to kill Krayts.

"Rebels? No, don't worry about them! I want the Krayt Dragons exterminated!"

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:14 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

It should be noted though that these AT-STs aren't really pets. They just come with the base to defend it.

And although the imps hunting with their AT-STs is a little sad in my opinion, I don't think that MD is the type to do that.

Those guys are patrolling the base to protect it, and that's fine. I mean if you're stupid enough to be overt and walk up there alone, then you deserve to die a thousand horrible deaths. I guess what I mean is that a base being defended by one, two, or even a whole bunch of AT-ST's is fine. A player running around with just one of them behind him is not fine... but that's an ongoing debate I think
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:46 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
It should be noted though that these AT-STs aren't really pets. They just come with the base to defend it.

Yes, that's it. Thanks for clearing that up Ekim.

If you notice carefully, you'll see that they are in formation with the stormtroopers around them. In other words, they are NPC guards. I personally do not own an AT-ST. I never really wanted to risk the insanely hard earned 10k FP for one--well, at least insanely hard earned 10k before I got my base. Especially since the devs aren't really sure they know what to do with them. Perhaps, one day, when FP is easier to come by and the devs make up their mind about the role of an AT-ST, I may reconsider.

My goal right now is to get goodies for my base. A minefield and a couple of turrets for starters. Then, I'll possibly think about a full set of the ST armor. Just for show really. By the time I grind that 30k FP, I'll probably be sick and tired of anything even remotely connected to FP that I won't want to see another enemy NPC for months.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:15 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Grats on the base, Moon Dragon . BTW, faction points should be fairly easy to come by now that you got the base, shouldn't it? You just get missions from your own base terminal, run up to it until the waypoint update message pops up, enemy base spawns, run back, take two more mission, rinse, repeat... until your base is surrounded by many many camps. NPCs respawn slowly but if you spawn *lots* of camps they should give you a steady flow of FP. And working on the defenses is surely not going to hurt if they implement the change that you can no longer set your base to "private". BTW, are minefields only going to blow up overt members of the other faction or coverts as well? I once ran into an enemy minefield (as a covert) and got the "You have just breached the perimeter of an enemy minefield" onscreen message. I didn't want to test it at the time so I backed out slowly .
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:00 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
BTW, faction points should be fairly easy to come by now that you got the base, shouldn't it?

Well, they certainly come in faster, but I wouldn't say fairly easy.
quote:
You just get missions from your own base terminal, run up to it until the waypoint update message pops up, enemy base spawns, run back, take two more mission, rinse, repeat... until your base is surrounded by many many camps.

No, I dont' do that. I don't know if the devs fixed that yet, but someone said somewhere that this is not right. And I don't like blatantly exploiting. I use two 'tricks' that seem to be within the realm of 'acceptable' for now. I get two missions that end up 300-500m apart. Then I run from one to the other, killing only the NPCs. By the time I'm done on one and come back to the other, the other will have respawned its NPCs. For an additional 'bonus' FP, I get my missions with the weapon I'm most proficient with, and then use a carabine (almost no proficiency) to kill the NPCs. It's a bit harder, but I get an additional 50% boost in FP gain. I don't feel like this is cheating, because I kill them completely with my carabine. Not just the killing blow. So, in reality, I'm kind of like a carabine user that can get access to missions way above their skill.
quote:
BTW, are minefields only going to blow up overt members of the other faction or coverts as well?

I think both. But the faction scanner(s) will make you overt anyways, so that won't be an issue.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:51 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
You just get missions from your own base terminal, run up to it until the waypoint update message pops up, enemy base spawns, run back, take two more mission, rinse, repeat...

I'm sure it's possible to do this, but it's also well within the realm of exploiting. It was pointed out on the official boards before that this was not meant to be possible, but the devs didn't change it yet...

On a side note about AT-STs, I saw someone comment once that AT-STs should really be considered vehicles rather than pets, and I agree. Again I see no problem with anyone having a number of them to protect a player's base, but as a pet, it makes absolutely no sense... I think the devs are still keeping them as is right now because it helps their fabled "starwarsiness" factor balance against the "pet-wars" factor
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:14 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Thanks for clarifying that . What do you mean by faction scanners turning me overt? Can covert faction members be attacked by an opposing faction member as soon as they get too close to a player base? And if so how close is too close? I really want to stay away from PvP until they've balanced it. Let's call it a total boycot. I don't want to break my own rule accidentally .
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:18 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Oh, and regarding AT-ST, I haven't seen many of those lately on Eclipse except on Endor and on the Krayyt graveyard, Tatooine . I guess everyone is trying to make as much money as possible from these 25K missions and Krayyt tissues as long as AT-ST are still allowed in PvE. Is the "AT-ST = non PvE" fix going to help? I don't think so. These Endor missions are ridiculously easy (Pubam missions). All you need is 1/1/0/0 in CH to be able to tame and call Greater Sludge Panthers. You can easily do these missions with a pet like this and with some good B stims which you can use at Novice Medic. It's what I'm currently doing since I spent 200,000 - 250,000 credits on becoming a Smuggler. I was broke. Now have 200K again after one night of missions on Endor. People will be slowed down a little by not being able to use AT-STs but there's still some major fixing to be done by SOE to prevent people from making some serious money off of missions.
I'm just surprised that the easy availability of money hasn't negatively affected the player economy yet. Prices are dropping instead of rising on Eclipse. The no. 1 weaponsmith (not necessarily in terms of quality but definitely regarding popularity) is selling FWG5 and DX2 for less than 10K credits now. On the other hand, it's scary to see how much money people are willing to pay for non-generic items or pre-nerf weapons and creatures.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:40 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Thanks for clarifying that . What do you mean by faction scanners turning me overt? Can covert faction members be attacked by an opposing faction member as soon as they get too close to a player base? And if so how close is too close? I really want to stay away from PvP until they've balanced it. Let's call it a total boycot. I don't want to break my own rule accidentally .

I'm not sure about everything you asked... What I can say is that yes: a covert scanner will invariably turn you're sorry behind into a big juicy red dot to any opposing faction that are nearby (be they NPC or PC). What I am not sure about is if it actually puts a TEF on you, or if it literally turns your covert status into overt.

If it's a TEF, then it's a total crapola situation... You'll be red to any overt, but you actually won't be able to attack them until they attack you first. In other words: your dead If it turns you all the way overt, then at least you have a real good chance of fleeing the sceen before the fireworks start....

About the range of the scanner, I have no idea. But I would venture to guess that it's within 70m, much like the range of the turrets and most aggressive creatures that can detect you when you run past them.

My advice to you is to always run around with your overhead map activated (ctrl-M on the default keymap). It will display structures that are around you before you get too close, maybe even before they become visible. And before you get curious, try to see if there are any opposing faction flags floating around the base. If so, then go waaaay around it! Never go closer than a good 80-90m to make sure that not even turrets can fire at you.
If you're a rebel, the rule of thumb is that if you see an AT-ST, run away!
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Thanks for the advice, Ekim . Guess I was really lucky the other day then. There is an imp base on one of the hills close to Bespin and I was checking it out carelessly the other day since I was covert. Looks like it had no scanners then . Will also have to check how PvP is going once I'm done mastering my professions but it doesn't sound too appealing at the moment. There are a few imps playing dirty games in Anchorhead. A certain combat medic by the name of "Mimi" is using his/her revenge TEF to poison people when coming from the cloning center and there are usually a few commandos joining in his/her fun with their flamethrowers. No place seem to be sacred to them. If they don't get incapped before getting there, they will also attack everyone in the tavern (cantina/med center). The problem with these folks is they are showing some serious stamina in what they do. Seems like they don't mind cloning a 100 times in a row. I really hope the devs manage to take PvP out of towns to battlefields like they are planning to do so we can have some real GCW-like battles instead of individual griefing...
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:24 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Few notes...

First, I think that the faction scanners just give you TEF. Secondly, the bases are currently very bugged and it was possibly that you got the TEF, but weren't attacked by the guards (they do that sometimes).

Second, waiting for your masterhood before going into PvP is, IMHO, a bad idea. Few reasons. First, there is nothing to lose right now. So, you get killed. Big deal. You lose few FP and life goes on. But, you learn valuable lessons. Knowing that you're not the cream of the crop, you'll be ready to die (so ending up dead won't be a disappointment) and you'll be super extra triple careful. Which means you'll actually survive more fights than you would expect. I have 4 skill boxes in pistoleer and 5 (or 6) boxes in doctor. I have only exploration 2 and bunch of wasted skill points in CM (don't really use any of the CM stuff--it sucks, contrary to popular belief). Far from an ub3r PvP template. Yet, I have a 50/50 (or so) PvP record. Hell, I took down someone's gnarled rancor pet the other day! Few things I learned: pick your fights; don't mess with griefers; don't revenge TEF; run--a lot; always be ready to get revenge TEFed. I run around overt all the time. I don't care if rebels outnumber us or if I'll get griefed. They can't grief me if I don't play along. They can only temporarily inconvenience me. Second, if you get mutilated as a master, while you feel all righteous and powerful, you'll end up feeling miserable. You'll end up feeling like there is something wrong with your game decisions and you'll feel it's unfair. In the end, you'll never PvP again, leaving you with a bitter taste in your mouth. Why would you lose? Because you won't be experienced. Because pure mastery of almost anything is not enough to be competitive. Because there are better masteries out there than yours. Many reasons. But you'll end up feeling cheated none-the-less. Give yourself a reason to PvP and go RP it. Then, no matter the outcome, you'll have had a blast.

Third, I've heard of this 'Mimi' character. It's sad when you achieve cross server notoriety for being a griefer. Reminds me of Crackheads from Neocron. Anyways, the difference between the Crackheads and this Mimi person... 15 minutes is all it takes for Mimi to become a joke. That's right! If everybody were to die, clone, then leave town for 15 minutes, this Mimi joker would have nobody else to grief. So, he punked your ass! So what? Do you really have to keep going back again and again to prove to him how much better you are? LOL! That is the only reason why he can grief those people! Revenge TEF. People come to him like sheep to the slaughter. Ever person who uses revenge TEF on him, just feeds the flames. If everybody were to suck it up and walk away, he could not attack anybody! But, I guess people have too much stupid pride to admit they lost a simple fight that didn't mean anything. And so they suffer. Don't be the same.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:57 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, the reason I'm waiting with PvP until after mastering my professions doesn't have to do with me believing I'll stand a better chance in PvP then. I know I'm going to royally suck at PvP . I have intentionally chosen a character template (Master Smuggler, Master CH, Novice Pistoleer, Novice Medic) that will do pretty well in PvE because that's what I'm going to do most of the time anyway.
If I were planning on a successful PvP career, I'd have chosen a totally different path. Probably Bounty Hunter (Pistol line), Master Pistoleer and the Smuggler pistol tree plus some medical skills (if there were still points left).
No, the reason I'm waiting till mastery is because I consider PvP the "end game". Just like I haven't done any of the theme parks yet. You need to have something to do once "you're done". That's why I'm saving it all up for later.
And when I'm going to get into PvP I'm planning on group vs. group PvP as this seems to be the way they are designing PvP. At least, I can't think of any other reason why they made BHs and Commandos *that* strong.
In fact, group PvP is a much underrated part of the game right now IMHO. Everyone is complaining that they're getting creamed by BHs and Commandos. Well, they *should* be (getting creamed, not complaining ). BHs and Commandos just simply have to be the classes that rock in 1-on-1 PvP.
I hope that group vs. group PvP becomes a major part of the game though. That's when all classes really start to make sense when the Commandos stand in the 1st line taking out AT-STs and Infantry with their heavy wepaons, pistoleers, BHs, smugglers would be in the 2nd line and you'd have Carbineers and Riflemen in the back as they would be sniping from a distance.
That's what I consider fun PvP, not waking up in the Cloning Center instead of the Star Port after travelling to another planet because you've gotten wasted before the game has fully loaded .
Bottom line: I wish all players would get away from their ego trips and from whining about not being the best combat class. Look at the whole picture. Look at how your class has an advantage over another and disadvantages that are compensated by another class. Then team up and engage in group vs. group PvP instead of trying to solo that same BH or Commando again and again.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:43 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Oh, and back on the topic of AT-ST... this is pretty funny and creative - Straight from the Eclipse forums .
quote:
It has come to the alliances attention that certain lone imperial officers have been using imperial equipment to slay the endangered Krayt Dragon. An elite squad has been formed to protect Tatooine's natual treasures. ATST units are being targed for elimination in the Eastern Dune Sea and Krayt Graveyard regions. During the first night of operations this crack squad had some successes:

22:30 EST: 2 atst's destroyed attempting to find a Canyon Krayt dragon, owner terminated

23:30 EST: 1 out of 3 ATST detonated before poacher could escape.

The Rebel alliance is dedicated to protecting the wilds, ATST Krayt poachers beware.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next