Usergroups
there should be more CRPGs in SF setting or non-standard fan
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Well, I just bought the double jewel case Fallout 1&2 thingy, and I am having the time of my life! I'm in about the first tenth of Fallout 1 (explored Vault 15, rescued Tandi) and I'm trying to wipe out the Raiders. Unfortunately, Ian doesn't want to put on the armor I gave him. Moron. Oh well. Did I mention that I really love this game?

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think I need a walkthrough of Fallout or something. I didn't recognize anything you wrote ONE BIT and I just got started on it too!

Anyhow, Wasteland was/is also a great future RPG. I am still hoping someone will eventually make a game that good again, but using the technology we have today. I mean, the entire game fit on one 5'1/4 disc! (640Kb!)

Someone make a Wasteland mod for Morrowind!
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:16 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Wow, Matti, you don't recognize it? Ouch. Oh well. You could be playing in a different style from me (I'm a charismatic gunslinger- 8 Cha, 6 Agi, 6 INT) and I try to use charm first, but sometimes it just doesn't work. This is when the shotgun comes in right handy.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:20 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I had the pleasure of replaying the old SNES Shadowrun game again recently - it was a brave attempt but failed to capture the essence of the PnP game. A game like morrowind using the Shadowrun rules would be good - assuming the MW bugs are sorted and the whole thing is made more interesting and, obviously, set in the future in big cities. Sadly this isn't gonna happen as FASA (who made Shadowrun) went bust. The closest thing to it will be Neocron - but that will be full of FPS Kewl Dewdz - so I'm getting out my 10 foot barge pole.

I know it's not RPG but Deus Ex did a good job of capturing the idea of a distopian future (well I enjoyed it anyway) but the King/Queen of Sci Fi RPG has to be Fallout 2 - that game, as I belive the youngsters say, Rocks
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:41 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Overall I would say Fallout 2 was better than Fallout 1. The only really flaw F2 had (not thinking about bugs and AI) was that it wasn’t true to the post-nuclear setting. I don’t consider plasma and laser rifles as very common in such a world. But hell, it was fun melting mutants anyway.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:59 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Interesting thread. I agree with all that has been written. The Fallout games are probably the best, but Anachronox was great fun. System Shock 1& 2 are classics that must be played and as it hasn't been mentioned, Deus Ex while not a pure RPG, has many RPG elements. I enjoyed that game and am looking forward to the sequel/ For something completely different in an RPG/RTS cross, try Freedom Force.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:03 am
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I forgot DX

I can't believe i forgot to mention DX. Possible one of my favorite games of all time, it is still an RPG in my opinion. If you don't think so, I will introduce you to MY RPG (rocket-propelled grenade launcher ). After all, it was pretty cool, and the story was unbelievably cool.

PS. *COUGH COUGH* avatar... *COUGH COUGH*

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:39 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Some good Science Fiction-rpgs:

Outcast
Hired Guns
Planet's Edge
Wasteland
Jagged Alliance 2
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:33 am
corwin

Hey, I remember playing Planet's Edge. Boy was that a LONG time ago.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:59 am
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm with TheRaven. There should be more games set in San Francisco.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:21 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sure you can download wasteland from a site....not sure which though. I liked the fallout series as well. Even if Deus Ex is not classified as a true rpg it did kick butt. I loved picking people off from a distance.....still like rpgs or things that let me do that... Anyhoo AO had good intentions but failed....everything got repetetive.....I'm hoping Neocron will be good...dunno though.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:32 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
I'm sure you can download wasteland from a site....not sure which though.

But I am!
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Wasteland

I bought it for the C64 back in the eighties, took a long break from computers and re-bought it in 1996 for the pc and it's been on my harddrive ever since. It even works in Windows XP. With sound! It's an amazing program.

As a suggestion for people looking for non-fantasy crpg's and aren't afraid of a little older games, you should try out Mars Saga. It was a future rpg with strategic battles, difficult monsters (thugs and villains) and a lot of puzzles to solve. I always felt that this game was inspired by the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Total Recall" but that might just be me.

Anyhow: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Mines+of+Titan
Apparently it changed name on the pc.. Still a good game.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:10 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I can't get wasteland to unzip after downloading from that site.....weird.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:44 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I downloaded it a couple of months ago from HOTU. I still have the .zip on my hard drive and there is no problem with it. It should contain two other zipped archives.

Do you get some kind of error? If so try downloading it again. If that doesn’t work I can send it to you.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:55 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

They made a MUD modelled after wasteland btw....just can't remember the name of the MUD.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:32 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next