View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
DigitalCowboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This game is insanely hard! Need help!

Hi guys,

I bought Night of the raven last week and installed the translation patch. I have been waiting for the addon to come in English for over a year but didn't want to wait any longer.

First, let me just say that I am an avid fan of RPGs. I have played a lot of them (BG1 and BG2, Planescape, Icewind dale, Morrowind, Divine Divinity, Beyond divinity, Wizardry 8 to name a few).

I have played the game for approximately 15 hours now and I have only been in Khorinis and a very close by in the forests. I am now having a HUGE problem getting any further in the story due the enormously hard combat. I am level 6 and the ONLY things I can kill is two huge rats at the same time or a single wolf. Anything else and I end up dead.

I understand the principle of the fighting system and I think it can be good once I actually get a few more levels under my belt. But what on earth I am doing wrong? The game can't be this hard by design, right? Most newbies would have stopped now I am sure.

I am also having problem with raising my skills since I have to raise my strength to get to use two-hand weapons. Any tips and tricks regarding combat at early levels are appreciated.

I have no idea how I am going to win over a human. It is impossible. They kill me with one or maybe two blows. (I am wearing the militia armour) So I can not take out the 2 bandits in the cave for example.

Very frustrating. Otherwise I am enjoying the game immensely. The atmosphere in the game is great. Love the whole city part, I have spent so much time just running around there doing quest that doesn't require combat. Now, I really need assistance with some combat help/tips.

Thanks in advance,
//DigitalCowboy

Last edited by DigitalCowboy on Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:39 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Re: This game is insanly hard! Need help!

quote:
Originally posted by DigitalCowboy
Hi guys,

I bought Night of the raven last week and installed the translation patch. I have been waiting for the addon to come in English for over a year but didn't want to wait any longer.

First, let me just say that I am an avid fan of RPGs. I have played a lot of them (BG1 and BG2, Planescape, Icewind dale, Morrowind, Divine Divinity, Beyond divinity, Wizardry 8 to name a few).

I have played the game for approximately 15 hours now and I have only been in Khorinis and a very close by in the forests. I am now having a HUGE problem getting any further in the story due the enormously hard combat. I am level 6 and the ONLY things I can kill is two huge rats at the same time or a single wolf. Anything else and I end up dead.

I understand the principle of the fighting system and I think it can be good once I actually get a few more levels under my belt. But what on earth I am doing wrong? The game can't be this hard by design, right? Most newbies would have stopped now I am sure.

I am also having problem with raising my skills since I have to raise my strength to get to use two-hand weapons. Any tips and tricks regarding combat at early levels are appreciated.

I have no idea how I am going to win over a human. It is impossible. They kill me with one or maybe two blows. (I am wearing the militia armour) So I can not take out the 2 bandits in the cave for example.

Very frustrating. Otherwise I am enjoying the game immensely. The atmosphere in the game is great. Love the whole city part, I have spent so much time just running around there doing quest that doesn't require combat. Now, I really need assistance with some combat help/tips.

Thanks in advance,
//DigitalCowboy

You can find more info about your promblems in gothic 2 troubleshooting.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:03 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

You can find more info about your promblems in gothic 2 troubleshooting.

Really? Doesnt his problems sound more like how to play and stratgy ?

Well first off yes its Extremly hard, the Developers have even said too difficult, they thought Gothic 2 was to easy and NotR was to hard.
They went to far in tweaking the difficulty.
Even Hard Core RPG'ers find it to difficult.

Let me ask you this have you played Gothic 2, im guessing no by some of your comments.
First off as mentioned in other threads about just starting out there are stratigies.
Humans and Orcs you block them first then attack, let them swing first.

Second in groups, animal and human, where you cant pull one from the crowd, you run up and hit one then run away, all but the one you hit will stop chassing you after a bit, lead the damaged one away and take them on one on one.

Lastly use codes, this is called Marvin mode you can search, the most important thing is to have fun, like you said most people would just walk away from the game, just give yourself extra skill or attributes.
Its a great game the developers have a masterpiece, thou with several flaws.
They have struggled with poor controls, game balance and inventory issues.
Ask if you need more info

Good Luck
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

DigitalCowboy, did you play Gothic 2 without the add-on?
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:47 pm
DigitalCowboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

No, I did not. I really wanted to wait and play it with the addon. I have read about it and most people say the addon is really a great addition to gothic2 and worth waiting for.

I don't have any problems with games being hard, but this... is a bit to much to early.

I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong or if the game really is that unbalanced right of the bat. It would be great to have it easy in the beginning and slowly ramp things up towards the game.

Also, I thought there might be some items or quests that I had missed that gave you some bonuses early on. I will try some more tonight, but if it keeps being this hard I am seriously thinking about tweaking my character a bit. I have waited to play this game for over 1 year and this will not stop me.

//DigitalCowboy
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:09 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe try to kill the easyer cratures like white goblins , rats , bloodflys , wolfs and meatbugs after that just do some quests that people will give you , if u reach till level 10 u can start doing some harder tasks and kill some other creatures allready
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:29 pm
DigitalCowboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, I will give that a try. Is there any area you recommend? As I tried to venture out in the forrests, and suddenly I am chased by really bad monsters that kill me in one blow.

I am lvl 6 now... feels like a long way to 10 though.

//DigitalCowboy
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by DigitalCowboy
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

quote:

No, I did not. I really wanted to wait and play it with the addon. I have read about it and most people say the addon is really a great addition to gothic2 and worth waiting for.

I don't have any problems with games being hard, but this... is a bit to much to early.

At least since my review was posted you should have known that TNotR is really hard because half the community thought G2 was too easy, which is only true from a hardcore perspective. Especially the mage career is almost impossible, at least for somebody new to G2.
So the solution is simple. Uninstall everything, install only G2 and play it as a mage. Then install the the add-on and play again as paladin or mercenary.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:13 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

We are all friends here.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:24 pm
DigitalCowboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
So the solution is simple. Uninstall everything, install only G2 and play it as a mage. Then install the the add-on and play again as paladin or mercenary.

Well, I want to be a paladin. I am not much for Mages.

Now that I know I am not doing anything wrong, its just the way it is, I will tough it out. I am sure we'll talk again if I get stuck somewhere further down the road.

Thanks for all your replies.

//DigitalCowboy
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:32 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs all about playing it slowly early on. Do all the minor quests, stay out of trouble (-> run away if necessary), activate the quicksave keys, try the other combat controls (maybe they suit you better), examine everything and collect all the scrolls and potions. Donīt hesitate to use the stuff you find.
There are a lot of secrets near Xardasī tower. At least 4 places with loot are more or less hard to find.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:02 pm
DigitalCowboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh, it sound like I need to go back to Xardas tower, since I didnt really explore that area much since I had just started the game and was still trying to figure out the controls and getting used the gameworld.

Oh, and btw I stated before that I was lvl 6 that was not true I was only lvl 4 and I have just reached lvl5 now.

Thanks for the tip.

//DigitalCowboy
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:24 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

G2 just out of the box was hard right from the start, compared to G1. Stay close to the paths, and do as the others have already said for a few more levels. Be sure to search Xardes tower itself for a few hidden treasures. I suggest hit save, wander out as far as you can without getting killed, and then hit save again. Those points are hard to earn. lol
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:18 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It takes a lot of practice to get good at sword play in the Gothic games. I've played both games twice and I still largely suck. When I played G2 the first time I found myself running away for most of the game. It's one of the most fun things for me actually. So to help you get some early victories you might want to try using a bow (I'd recommend a cross bow because they require less dexterity). You can use the terrain to fire from safety, also with humans you can shoot, run away shoot again. Don't put too many points in bows though because you need to be good with a sword too but early on it can help. You also might find one handed is easier than two. Also use the scrolls like fire arrow and ice arrow to help wear down enemies from a distance. And remember the all important - attack, when you take damage run away - heal up - attack again.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:43 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

One simple thing to do in addition: use the scrolls. You'll find many of them, and in add-on the mana cost is only 5 mana per scroll. Even with your 10 mana at the start, it's still 2 shots. And a fireball is a fireball, hurts just the same. Get those mana plants of all kind ("fire" plants), those you can eat to get your mana back without wasting any potions, if your base mana is like 10-50. Save summoning scrolls and use these, these make good attraction or cannon fodder or tanks, depending on the situation.

When training, try to get that STR up some. 1H skill at 30% is good already for starters. Remember that the damage you do to the target is that of the weapon damage, so any armor rating above it pretty much negates the damage. You will ALWAYS do some damage when you hit, even if most of it was in general negated. If you score a critical hit, then your STR gets added to the damage as a bonus. I.e. say you have 30 STR and weapon does 50 damage, on critical it's 80 damage. Higher skill allows more criticals, and at 100% skill, every hit is considered as a critical. Skills can be raised above 100% too, but that plays no role anymore.

Other then that, perhaps indeed you should first try G2 without the add-on. Get the feeling of the game, it's easier to navigate in tougher world if you have the experience already
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:47 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next