MOD Discussion Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

G2 Text Fix MOD for UK v1.31

I finished my first simple MOD. It is called G2Text MOD.

1) It corrects the German text words into English for the character skills screen information, and shortens it to make it more readable on one line.

2) I also replaced 'Wood Protection' to say 'Constantino's Ring' not enough space to put in 'Constantino's Ring'. I do not know if this was the original intent to throw people off. EDIT UPDATE

3) I replaced 'Lightning' with 'Lightning Arrow'. EDIT UPDATE

4) Change create rune text to add in the fact that you must have been taught the spell's formula and have its scroll. Minor spelling errors; changed 'phials' to vials.
----------------------------------------------
There are TWO runes with same name Lightning. I changed the first weaker one into 'Lightning Arrow' to go along with the pattern for the other two 'Ice Arrow' and 'Fire Arrow' spells. EDIT UPDATE

The zipped game.dat file is about 1.09 Meg.

This stuff maybe and probably will be fixed in the coming patch and localized US version. Atari is working on changing the voice acting and bugs they claim from a read at www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/preview_6071616.html That is why it is delayed for US release. I do not know what censorship will occur to remove bad language and adult cutscenes to get a 'For All' rating. Gothic had bad language in it and was sold in US. Is Gamespot 'full of it'?

Please any comments and anyone want me to send you this first simple G2text MOD? for UK version 1.31.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:24 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Ragnar
***Zerxes712, how do you think giving people objects they could use is handled? Remember in cptr 5 you could take Biff or whoever, hunting for the dragons with you? As he took damage you could give him potions to heal him after a fight…but I noticed last night that Cor Angar does not have that option so I took him back to the ship to live another day. It would be nice to be able to give him potions also. How involved do you think it is? Another nice feature would be some kind of proximity thing attached to your partner so when you run away, he will follow after you reach a certain distance. Right now he will stay and fight in a ‘kill or be killed’ situation. While being very noble, it is also very stupid.***

Yes it can be changed. The behaviour is controled by script.MDS files. It can be done, much easier if they do release a MOD Kit like was in Gothic 1 to help make scripting much easier. I can find the script.MDS files easy enough, but I do not know where the script.D files (they store the attributes skills!). The Gothic2 engine is different somewhat from the original G1. Script changes will change the lenght of the files.MDS controling behavior. They are in the ANIM folder. The EXE should still read it in as a whole. I can copy one for the other code (so to speak) and the behavior for Cor Agnar to simulate Biff...I am not that far into it yet, but it can be done.

I am next trying to find where the data is stored for NPC, monsters, and animals attribute skills are to make a Hard MOD by upping thier stats.

UPDATE: the data attribute skills is called in the game.dat by a series of commands like Get C_NPCTALENT etc. The Marvin Mode put an ID number for all NPC, animals, and monsters; and they belong to certain guild groupings -not the same name use as playing the game). Type in Edit Abilities in the consule and see this number (Marvin Mode plus 'O' to posses target, press B). Game.dat stores this data somewhere within the file header part or refers the EXE (game engine) where to look and load from the game.dat file or it is stored internally in the EXE. This ID number can be used as a map to find the data storage spot. I can only change the constant's values once I know where they are at, I must keep the file the same length since the EXE is reading it in. Later with a tool, length can be changed keeping the file format numbering in line. G1 had a similar MOD Kit Tool to do this. It is literally creating everything using the 'Marvin Mode' technique like code. Interesting.

AI script behavior AI MOD will come next to help make monsters more viscious and especially not get stuck (path cheat by forcing F8 command as in Marvin Mode and moving the monster over a bit). I really do not know until I get there.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:38 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Xerxes712...Got some info from Gorath. Will PM you when I hear from him again. Zap bolt sounds ok. You could also use shock bolt.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:36 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh yes, I thought of that and would be an excellent name; but one serious problem. It will not fit in the space allocated in game.dat.

Zap Bolt = 8 and Shock Bolt = 10; There is only room for 9 ASCI characters. The original was Lightning = 9. Unless it is put in as ShockBolt removing the space between the two words.

Use 'ShockBolt' instead? It can not be plain 'Shock Bolt' too long to fit in space allocated.

EDIT: I was wrong about this, you can make it longer name. UltraEdit32 text editor will do the trick than my original plain HDD hex editor. Sorry about the confusion. NicoDE on JoWood forum also did recommend using this one to add in the text for the diary skill information screen; now I know why!

UPDATE EDIT: I can use 'Lightning Arrow' for the spell name now.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:47 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

ShockBolt works for me...

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:18 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, that is one vote. I hope others may take interest. Maybe the up coming patch will make all this text fixes a moot point. But it is very readable, even a bit of humor with the Animal Processing information.

You can use it now and just remove it later, or let the patch overwrite it any way. Absolutely no harm. just replace file with this one in the data folder.

I can still use this sticky thread for MODs in general.

I know how to MOD everything weapons, prices, items you name it and that is where I could post the tutorial to show how easy it is to do it.

Right now I am trying to crack how to change wildlife stats to make them tougher; G2Hard MOD. No pun intended. The animals fight back!

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:41 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

another vote from me ShockBolt is good enough
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:59 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

SUCCESS! I can MODify ALL Monster, Animal, NPC, Weapons, etc

After staring at this game.dat file for a week straight, I finially saw the pattern used for the encodeing. It may be a bit ackward to tell you how it is done, but I can show you for a specific example.

The data is compressed. I have not written a tool yet to uncompress it to read it better yet. The file store data with on offset adress to where you can find a monster ALL STATS file array string. It is not obvious but the method works. I can change all aspect of anything in the game. I made a sheep into a very tough fire breathing tough monsters with huge stats; I made a Demon Lord into a low level, weak demon. I can even change what the monster even looks like; If I had Studio Max 3 , I could make new art work for anything in game texture onto meshes (make more cool armor and weapons).

I am not well versed in C++ language but I can show someone who is interested how to go about editing the game.dat file to change stats from hitpoints, level, exp, LP, Skills, Mana, STR, DEX, ALL ARMOR protection values, Cost, Monster fighting tactic, AI VAR array (make them smarter but a drain on th CPU a bit). I saw a tutorial on one from Freelancer called Binique at I think it can be done even by someone like me, but other programers here should be able to whip this editor tool out in a faster manner than me.

Now I can make monster and animals, or NPC tougher in anyway you want. I want to make them tougher (Dragons and their minions) for more challenge in G2Hard MOD. Gee, too Hard MOD Want a real challenge now?

I need input on where to make things tougher and I can alter weapons to do better things to help make up for some balance like upping some 2h a little more, and crossbows.

Later project I want to add in more animals and monsters, plus add more custom QUEST! The tool and editing is not that much different as was for Gothic1, but let me do one thing first at a time. Please comments, I can and want to make this a more fun game.

How should I modify what monsters, animals, and NPC to be tougher and exactly in what way? Give wolf a pierce damage to go through your armor like arrows easier? Make Dragons more health points or armor, or Fight technique, Mana and spells use? Ice Dragon spit out Wave of Ice and frozen i nspot is tougher to beat, change the animation call and damage type assiged to it. I already made a good G2text MOD ready to go. This one will be call G2Hard MOD. Later I can even do chapter respawns of wildlife; anything really.

I want to make some of the worthless spells and weapons a bit more important in use to deal with these more tough monsters in a fun, more intelligent way. Also alter Blade (swords), Blunt (Mace), and Edge (Axe) class weapons more pronounced in use and effect according to your style.

How about buyable special Magic Arrows that do certain magic damage on impact instead of pierce? Cool I think.

I talk alot but this game really got me. I can and want to make it even more fun. Any feedback to what you want? When this hits US Market, thousands more will play and the more fun MODs out there; the more units will get sold for an encore for G3 and and our Expansion Raven.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:44 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Xerxes, all of this sounds great

Keep in mind I know nothing of modding, but here goes:

How about a sword/axe/mace that does magic damage as well? If so, are there any visuals you could add to make the magic damage from the weapon more realistic?

About the Mud reincarnate, would it be possible to take Muds voice from G1 and add it to G2 so hes running around constantly saying things like "Are you looking for someplace quiet where we can talk, or something?" while hes trying to attack you? That would be very funny, and creepy IMO.

Seekers definitely need to be more powerful. Increased hitpoints? Increased armor? By the time they are introduced in the game, they are very easy to defeat. Not as big of a threat as they should be.

Im at work right now, so this is what just popped in my head when I saw the post. I will add more later.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:05 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Jekyll
Weapons that do magic damage is yes. animation must be copied off another item and I have not got that far yet. Unless you just want a cheese single sword with a copied 3ds picture then change the visuals colours.

New NPC and behavior with new Quest? YES, but first things first -I am still in early phase making an ediotr tool to handle scripts like was in G1 PB gave out a free one to do Mod Kit Development. Wait for that one.

Make Seekers harder Yes, I am doing it right now. I can add it to my Text Mod which is done. It only corrects new diary entries; so either new game to see all English or accept old savegames will still have German text but all new entries will be in English.

There are 6 types of Seekers you deal with in game, mostly just changes in theier scripted behaviour via seeker.MDS files. The basic abilities the same. Alot of the abilities are hidden. One MOD I can make is to make the blunt /edge damage more separate. Monsters do have hidden protection armor form 8 different attacks. Weapons can be modded so that a sword does edge and a hammer or Heavy Stick will do Blunt. I think it will make a neat difference to game. Also increase Axe edge to huge damage and make them slower though. That hiden variable allows Holy Hammer type objects to damage to ignor armor if that hidden damage armor is set to zero Good for them special 'wonder weapons' to kill quest immune Monsters.

What do you want? I did the Demon Lord so far. Dragons I am waiting on my new CPU and Motherboard upgrade. My system is too small to handle them...That is why I am doing all this Modding, I can not play until I get a better computer upgrade...

For starters I made the Seeker a straight Double of All Attributes.

LVL36, STR120, DEX 120, M200, HP400: W30, A80, F30, M30.

Still beta, try it out. I tested using a cheat insert monster into game. checked the stats using Marvin mode with possess 'O' and hit B staus screen. Looks correct double of all.

Any tweaks after testing? Remember there are three guilds and you do not want to unbalance things. Also you can alter the fight tactics and AI VAR but I am not there yet to make them smarter. Also, later you can tweak the combat rating 'weapon' skill as for NPC maybe, I think plain monsters use just STR for damage raw, then type is specified as blunt, edge, magic, fire, fly, fall, etc. It is the same game.dat file about 1.09 Meg long. How do I send it to you when I finish it? No upload sitzen.

It is your personal monster -anyone can have it to play with . I need people to test these things to make game tougher in a good way. and it helps me work out the bugs in my tool editor development. The optimized code over haul from G1 is more complex and all over the place, no set rules; that is expected when upgrade an engine to higher and different standards. Still readable so far; but hard.

I am only an amatuer with hex editor; a poet with a pen; an artist with only a brush. So simple but powerful device once mastered. Shameless plug for miene ego.

I hear the whips lashes; I must get back to work! I send it to you soon. and need to know where.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:34 pm
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

A few things...
1st: of all it is not a MOD if you overwrite the originals, (remember Gothic Starter) you will have to make that piece of cake application, so it moves the originals, and use the new ones
2nd: I change the Name to a LOT of things, and they DO NOT have to Match the original Length.... Chack The Screeny...
http://www.freewebs.com/gothiciiswords/max12.jpg
copy and paste link or it will not work
3rd: I got a lot to write, but only one thing is mentioned here so here it is, if you can (you said so) change the effect of the dragons spit, and put the effect when the Three mages are Fixing the EYE of INNOS... that would be cool, I Thought the first time i saw it, that maybe this effect will be use as the spit of the dragons, Pity It Was Not, Well nothing much to say, keep working With your Hex Editor
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:24 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, like I said, I am only an ameteur who is trying to do something POSITIVE to make the game more fun.

If you would like to help, how do you change the file length to fit in the longer text? You seem to know more about it than me.

Are you using a plain Hex Editor or some tool? I would like to make some name changes with these "MODs" or whatever is more apropriate name. A stronger Seeker version called a say Master Seeker so that people would know it is a stronger version.

I can not fit a longer name in the spot. I would and other modders would welcome your expertise in this: How to fit longer names into the file.

Thanks for any real HELP. And welcome to the Mod thread.

The Seeker is a human figure using a Fire Arrow Rune and wearing an armor called 'Dark Cloak'. Combat rating 80% in all. I thought about giving him a Fireball Rune for a 'weapon' instead. Any ideas? I do hope you are not mad at me. I was musing at what can be done, compared to what I can only do now as I learn more. Sorry if I upset you somehow..
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:40 pm
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

You Returned the smile upon my face again. now we're getting somewhere, i will e-mail you, and tell you how, and only that how, it just do not seem right to me posting how to MODificate a game, that, The developers, DO NOT WANT US TO MODificate, otherwise, they could have release a mod kit to the community , and they did NOT , so is not good from my point Of View, thats why I Do NOT release any info on how to, or mod's, ....,
anyway the Idea of making SOME Seekers harder (like the ones On the DragonIsland) seems fine. but.....well i Pm you...
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:46 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ok I figured out how to change the stats for armor in game. The Seker wears a Dark Cloak armor. This is a preliminary change to Seeker for the basic attributes and the increase for the Dark Cloak armor.

Seeker ambient, there are 6 species. May all be same anyway except behavior, need to look into it.

Level 18 to 22 This 10x is experience for killing one. 180 to 220
STR 60 to 60 Not used. Seeker only has a magic damage Fire Arrow.
DEX 60 to 100 Not used.
MANA 100 to 200 After runs out, mana regenerates at a slower rate of fire.
LIFE 200 to 300 More hitpoints.

Dark Cloak armor

Weapons 15 to 40
Arrow 40 to 60
Fire 15 to 30
Magic 15 to 25

If you want to test this in real life or suggest changes tell me. I have no idea how hard to make them for the G2Hard MOD. As long as the patch does not alter the game.dat file (which it must to correct the german text showing up) then this Mod with more monsters (tougher Dragons, etc) will be done after the patch release for thae new version. Input now and you can play with now for UK version 1.31.

MODs make the game last longer to play through again on a HARD setting for the fun of it. Succesful games usally have alot of people making MODs, but I do not want things to get out of hand. Most people here at least agree the Seekers are wimps even on my first quick pass at low level.

I would really like to script in New Quests; to do so you can build experience to take on these tougher monsters and even special quest weapons like 'Holy Hammer' to kill certain New quest monsters. It keeps the game going after the release and everyone has played through it a dozen times and is bored.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:05 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is that they are not against someone writing a tool for editing, just that they do not have the time to do it. G2 engine and format is somewhat more complicated than G1. But still, there is no reason that if the community wants to spend the time and effort to make a tool, we can. The tool will only be good for each game version.

Not realy that big of a deal to update the tool. The firt N00b friendly tool Editor will allow you to adjust the stats of everything that is a constant in game, with a friendly windows GUI. It can be done by hand easy enough if I showed you where to look and how to do it, and have some basic hex editor skill. Later maybe a script editor tool to add in new custom quest and extra monsters and behavior would really be cool.

My biggest aim is to make the game harder and remove exploits in game for infinite money, random lockpick combinations force you must learn the skill better (instead of reloading game), the fine to pay for a commited crime from 50 gold to 100 gold at least (50 gold is too little for commiting serious crimes). And other cheese exploits. There are some ways to still make money forever, but the pay back rate will take time (1 gold per exploit will take some time to pay off that 100 gold fine!). Even add in a non-violent way of 'Go Fish'. A small script to fish for some money to pay off fines, or buy that item you are short of cash. Must work for it.

Until after the first patch for UK v1.31 is released, I am documenting the location maps of all data constants. That is a huge amount of data, but I have the time. Then once the patch is out, then that would be a good time to release a basic editor tool to change constants, a complete G2Hard MOD for that version. N00b friendly GUI to use.

Since it maybe awhile before we see the add-on which no doubt will change the EXE and game.dat structure again. We can still do alot of thing in the mean time, so I am and have these MODs ready to go. I made text MOD to correct German text in place of English (patch will probably fix that) and G2Hard MOD (tough monsters, NPC and animals) for the hardcore power players. Already completed. The people I have testing really enjoy the extra challenge especially through chapter 5 and 6.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:35 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next