Mage that hard?(Spoil me please !!)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Barlon2
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mage that hard?(Spoil me please !!)

I just want to be a mage lol >< I am a novice which was easy to become...but still yet another test for me..O_o what must I do to become a mage ? I'm on the quest thingy...says I need to make a rune...where do I get a blank rune? Do I actually have to kill a golem !! and where is he ? What is he talking about follow the clue of Innos or something ? I got a key from him but it doesn't open anything that I can find >< Please help
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:54 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok so you want to be spoiled...

Mage IS more difficult to play in some ways according to me because your main damage come from spells that use mana and mana doesn't last.You should always try to invest to mana and wait until Ch4 for the cleansing of shrines and then donate 100gold to all shrines to get bonuses. You should also have leveled up a lot and trained impotant combat stats before being a novice because after you are a novice training in non-mage areas cost TWICE and thats a bad thing...

To become a mage you need to complete the quests you just said.
If you really want to know how to complete them you can download a faq from www.ellusion.no which is not a mage friendly faq but will work for you.

My advice to all mages are just learn fire arrow fireball and lightning spells because other spells do less damage with more mana and you will lose important LP. For example Fireball is cast for 10 mana and does 60 just like the other two i said all have 1/6 mana/damage ratio. However other spells require more mana to cast and gives damage at a smaller ratio like firestorm spells or breath of death etc. Also make sure you learn rain of fire which is IMHO the best area effect spell, it is much better than that expensive wave of death spell and you can kill lots of orcs in one cast.

Btw don't learn heal minor wounds and light spells because early chapter2 you can get them ( you get holy light instead of light ) You also obtain create goblin skeleton in ch4.

I finally suggest mages to learn two-handed and crossbow skills to at least 30% and obtain Dragonslicer early in Chapter1 from the cave near Sun Circle and get a good crossbow because it is like a godly weapon in G2, it seems to deal more damage even the damage stats are same with a melee weapon. Just don't use bows or crossbows against skeletons...
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:32 pm
Barlon2
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey thnx much

Hey you helped me a lot...now I know what I need to do...I still can't find the golem or the cave...but atleast I know what to look for
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:31 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Do you know where the black troll is? Look for a bridge nearby and cross, follow the path and at the back of the circular glade look for a hole behind some shrubbery. Watch out for Agar when you come out.

The golem is along the same path not far from the turn where you meet a half dozen or so scavengers and a lurker. oh, and a few goblins to boot

Good luck
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:44 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I thank you too. That's a great guide to being a mage.

quote:
Originally posted by Scoundrel
Ok so you want to be spoiled...

Mage IS more difficult to play in some ways according to me because your main damage come from spells that use mana and mana doesn't last.You should always try to invest to mana and wait until Ch4 for the cleansing of shrines and then donate 100gold to all shrines to get bonuses. You should also have leveled up a lot and trained impotant combat stats before being a novice because after you are a novice training in non-mage areas cost TWICE and thats a bad thing...

To become a mage you need to complete the quests you just said.
If you really want to know how to complete them you can download a faq from www.ellusion.no which is not a mage friendly faq but will work for you.

My advice to all mages are just learn fire arrow fireball and lightning spells because other spells do less damage with more mana and you will lose important LP. For example Fireball is cast for 10 mana and does 60 just like the other two i said all have 1/6 mana/damage ratio. However other spells require more mana to cast and gives damage at a smaller ratio like firestorm spells or breath of death etc. Also make sure you learn rain of fire which is IMHO the best area effect spell, it is much better than that expensive wave of death spell and you can kill lots of orcs in one cast.

Btw don't learn heal minor wounds and light spells because early chapter2 you can get them ( you get holy light instead of light ) You also obtain create goblin skeleton in ch4.

I finally suggest mages to learn two-handed and crossbow skills to at least 30% and obtain Dragonslicer early in Chapter1 from the cave near Sun Circle and get a good crossbow because it is like a godly weapon in G2, it seems to deal more damage even the damage stats are same with a melee weapon. Just don't use bows or crossbows against skeletons...

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:48 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks...

Thank you very much people, you are most welcome.

I could have written a lot more due to my experiences as a mage.
Maybe if I get encouraged enough, I will write a mage guide on what to do as a mage to play a near perfect game like not wasting LP on heal minor wounds.

I have done many wrong things and wasted some LP , but when the English version of G2 Expansion comes I will play over and use my experience.

But I'll tell you again: Most of the spells are a waste to learn. Just learn Fire Arrow, Fireball, Lightning and Rain of Fire and you will be all fine. Trust me because other spells just cost more mana and do less damage. On the other hand fire based monsters like fire lizards or fire golems take extra damage from cold based spells and vice versa. If you are having trouble killing those you can purchase the cold arrow but I don't recommed it. MAYBE you can learn Destroy Undead if you are having trouble killing tough Skeletons since DU can kill any Undead at a single cast.

Also blunt weapons like maces or hammers do extra damage to all kind of golems; and swords,axes do extra damage to skeleteons while arrows and bolts are useless against them.

Anyway I hope those were useful...
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:55 pm
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually the best of the heavy hitting spells to learn is the libary secret rune. The Holy Bolt or whatever, 300pts of damage and 50 mana, nice spell. Its a 6th circle spell and has a nice range. Breath of death does more but you need to be too close for the spell to work. Have fun also don't miss out on having the people and paladins grove at your feet when you get full status
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:11 pm
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually the best of the heavy hitting spells to learn is the libary secret rune. The Holy Bolt or whatever, 300pts of damage and 50 mana, nice spell. Its a 6th circle spell and has a nice range. Breath of death does more but you need to be too close for the spell to work. Have fun also don't miss out on having the people and paladins grove at your feet when you get full status
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:20 pm
Sannive
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I loved being a mage! I found it much more simple than my current game as a dragonhunter, but everything is worht trying.
the spell Fire rain is great... as long as you don't have any friends around you, they'll get hurt as well. I so wish there to be a "friendly fire" button somewhere, but this is more "realistic", if there is such possibility in a computergame.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:30 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well not necessarily:

You could hit an enemy with Breath of Fire miles away, it just is a bit slow, but enemies don't ever try to evade your magic, when they see that dark mist in your hand, they start rushing towards you, so you can hit them easily. They only try to evade or block when you are meleeing them.

The point is: In Chapter5 you get to obtain the best crossbow in the game: Dragon Hunter's Crossbow 100 damage/85 dex, so most of the strong enemies die in two hits and even some die in a single hit if you have some skill in crossbow like 30% (OK except Demons, Trolls...). Thus, you don't need to shoot a single target killer spell after that point because the mana cost will be absurd. Why cast breath of fire (500 damage/50 mana) or the secret library spell: Holy Missile(300 damage/50 mana), while you can cast RAIN OF FIRE (300 damage/60 mana) which can kill very tough beasts like orcs, lizardmen, skeletons in a single cast? Well this also makes the area damage spell wave of death (400 damage/150 mana) obsolete and pretty useless to me. It is easy to obtain a total of 180 mana, so that you can cast Rain of Fire three times. Just run around the wilderness and have those tough beasts chase you. When you get a lot of them and can't seem to run safely just cast Rain of Fire and they will all drop dead. Like in the tombs near Onar's Farm, when you open a chest 6 or more skeletons and a skeleton mage appears around you, not an easy fight for a mage? Well a single Rain of Fire takes them all out in one go.

You will have hard time in the first chapters where you can only cast Fire Arrow (30 damage/5 mana), Fireball(60 damage/10 mana) and Lightning (120 damage/20 mana) which have same damage/mana ratios. You will constantly cast fireball for a max of maybe 8-10 times, which can hardly kill an Orc Shaman and can't kill Orc Elites, then run back and try to recover mana or use the castle gate trick and you will probably get bored before you kill all of those orcs besieging the castle using that method, but later on you'll start to rule all Orcs with lightning. After Ch4 life will be easier than Ch1 or Ch2. I remember myself having big troubles killing those nasty groups of Snappers early on, but then I killed all Dragons very easily on my first try. This game's difficulty is reversed in my opinion: difficult to survive first, then easier when you advance...

Have fun as a (Fire)Mage...
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:40 pm