I found it and bought it because it was cheap
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Thread
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I can't agree more dez I found the game when I was looking for a new but cheap game but still a real good game and I found gothic and from the first few moments I played I got addicted. I love the fighting, you got to do it, not a pc and the hero gets your character cause you make the choises .
STORY OF GOTHIC DON'T EVER STOP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:10 pm
Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

One thing I really love about Gothic is the immersion. And it's not just that the NPCs move around and do stuff, or that you can interract with everything (or nearly everything), it's the fact that, whatever you do and wherever you go you're faced with gothic. You wander down a lonely path full of goblins, and find Lester fighting off a whole bunch of wolves. You swim to an island, and find that it was inhabited, that kind of thing.
Another thing flowing from that is the books. Wow, they are EXTREMELY well done. You go to a library and find a history book which tells you about general Lee and a great battle (I was shocked that he had been such a good general). Or another book explaining about magic, all these things not only help to make the world feel more alive, but they give you insights on the gothic world. These insights aren't even needed, they just make the world so much richer, and alive. You find exactly how some event happened, not just how some NPC made it look, you discover WHY something happened the way it did, instead of happening this way. And the best part is, you can either do all this extra stuff, or just cut right into the main plot.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:33 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

exacly as u ppl can see Gothic series are damn wide open with different features and oportunitys and i think it wouldent need even anything more in it , it is allready very nicely done
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:57 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
exacly as u ppl can see Gothic series are damn wide open with different features and oportunitys and i think it wouldent need even anything more in it , it is allready very nicely done

The mysteries and the books that gothic1 had were realy good that's why I liked it more than gothic2
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:18 pm
ravens' power

Yes like the hunter's paper which says that he will hunt a troll or Lester's document in the old tower.Or in the sleepers temple which had a diary of a prisoner of the orcs
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:37 pm

Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Does anyone know why they didn't make books in G2? They added alot and were really cool.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:55 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Kaboodleschmitt
Does anyone know why they didn't make books in G2? They added alot and were really cool.

Can you explain this beter if you can.I'm a bit
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:21 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Oh, but they did make books.

"Double blocks" and "Southern Defence Art" for example
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:23 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

"Double blocks" and "Southern Defence Art" for example

Ah that's what he ment.Yes they were realy good if you think that they give you 5% to one or two handed weapons.But I prefer the books from gothic1
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:27 pm
Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

But in G1 there were many books you could find and take with you, in G2 they seemed content to put them on the bookstands only. I liked G1 where you could just pull out a book and read it, instead of having to go into someone's house.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:50 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe many books btw were added to Gothic 2 that were in Gothic 1 , only a few are new onez
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:46 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
ehe many books btw were added to Gothic 2 that were in Gothic 1 , only a few are new onez

Yes you are right but I like reading stories about Lee or the ore.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:33 pm
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I might be parroting others in my opinion of these games and if so I appologize.

First, about RPGs. I'm not going to claim I'm a pen and paper RPG guru. In fact I never was blown away by that whole area. Just too slow for my tastes. Now the idea that if it's not pen and paper gaming, turned based, click fest ala diablo, action rpg like Gothic, etc, then it's not an RPG is absurd.

RPG is, as everyone should know, a loose term describing generally the playing of a fantasy role. I mean if you really wanted to get stupid you could say that "Sonic the Hedgehog" is role playing. You ARE "playing the role" of that character.

When Virtual Reality is commonplace and you swing a virtual sword in real time in a Gothic-like fantasy world, will anyone say it isn't an role playing game?

Now the game. Wow, there is alot to say that is great about the game. And alot you could say that blows. The game is awesome, no doubt. But could have been awe inspiring if certain things were done differently.

1. Huge open world. I like to compare this game to Morrowind. It shares certain similarities no matter what people say.

While being smaller in scale than Morrowind the difference and ultimately superiority of Gothic in this regard leads to number two.

2. Quests that aren't mail delivery tedium.

I loved Morrowind. For about 6 hours, when I discovered that once you do 1 quest you have essentially done them all.

Gothic 1 and 2 quests actually have value. Instead of taking some turd of a item, IE a letter, to some lifeless NPC, you find yourself being rewarded in Gothic not by simply xp, gold, and such, but by progression. I LOVE working to obtain rank and access to areas.

3. Depth and detail usually.

Many areas of the game lack in details, but there is so much attention to it in other areas it's incredible. What I mean is that for instance if you become a mage, this acension to a holy magician changes the way people behave towards you. That guy at the tavern won't even accept your money any longer.

Raoul in the merc camp gives you a quest early on to obtain something that normally should be difficult to obtain, yet if you happen to already have it.. there is a dialog specifically stating you already have it.

Sneaking into the town at the very beginning without going past the guards.

Climbing the mountains and making it over the Orc Palisade in the Valley.

Sneaking onto the Paladins war ship before you're supposed to be on it.

My point is that the Devs have looked deeply into what players could possibly do and the game reflects these little unlikely events. These devs could easily have overlooked these things but did not and I appreciate that.

4. Immersiveness.

As others have stated, the living breathing world, even with it's redundant voice dialogs from random NPCs really draws you in. From the pleasing way the town flows with activity (Eating, drinks in the taverns, smoke pits, people walking to do a multitude of different things instead of just standing there, etc) to that scared feeling you have walking around in the dangerous areas due to the dangers of the game. Meet up with a skeleton the first time and you learn to avoid a certain forest for awhile .

If you have played many console RPGs like Final Fantasy, or a game like Everquest, it's so static and lifeless it's a joke. Generic. Gothic seems to have an authenticity to it.

5. Battle System

While the battle system is somewhat clumsy and very simple, this is the battle system Jedi Outcast and other games failed utterly to deliver. Skill based attacking and blocking. Games like Rune leave something to be desired as the blocking is extremely limited, so it's reduced to a game of movement and pressing mouse 1 as fast as you can.

Also the fact that you don't have to kill humans in a fight. But can if you want to. This opens up many possibilities for experience and fun without ruining factions and alliances.

When you are swarmed with multiple creatures you really have an intense battle of managing 2 or more monsters with movement, blocking, and pushing each back with swipes of the blade.

6. Interactive world.

Better than Morrowind again. I played Everquest for some time. In that game and others, if you are doing trade skills like smithing, you will put items in a container and press combine, or something similarly generic where you don't actually do much of anything or SEE anything happening. It's so refreshing to see myself doing the work.

I think this can be improved upon greatly in future games, or so I hope. Example would be magic. I truly hope that one day a mage in a particular game must research his spells, but let it not be like Everquest where you have some crappy items and just combine them in a tomb or whatever. I want to see trial and error work to create them. And animations showing it all like Gothic. Gothic could be improved upon I feel if you actually spent more time hammering a blade. The instant creation somewhat ruins the effect, but overall it's SO appreciated to be able to not just pick up and drop many items but actually do minute little things everywhere. Even pointless things. I got a kick out of sweeping with brooms, playing intruments, blowing horns, washing cloths, on and on.

7. Play at your own pace.

Try playing Baldur's Gate 2. Great game, but man, it's badgering you to do 5,000 quests and many are time limited. I hate that sort of thing.

8. Rewarding end.

This has problems as the game is too easy in the middle, but as a mage especially, once you bust your butt through most of the game, holy $^@^, the spells you get at the end destroy all. Insanely powerful. This isn't a problem for me. I felt rewarded for my efforts. If only monsters were a bit tougher and the destroy undead spell needs to be weakened or something, I mean come on.

9. Full Voice acting

Even if it's awful in the English versions, the fact that every bit of dialog, including your own, is spoken... Impressive.

10. Replayability

With different paths you can take, especially in Gothic 2, you could spend alot of time seeing everything. I have played the game with each main class. Actually, I have played the game probably 5 times from the beginning to end. Maybe more. It's hazy now. Playing even once takes a LONG time to complete. Even if you're a power gamer that plays from wake to sleep.

In fact, after finally putting the game to rest for months, i just started again to play an archer type. Having ideas of playing AGAIN as a mage, but I'm hoping for NotR.
---------

I could go on and on about what I love. And probably what I found flawed as well, but enough.

I love most RPGs. Yes, I even loved the original Diablo. For it's time it was awesome. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic is one of the best RPG's I have played IMO, Not just because it's Star Wars with D&D but because it's different and does most things very well. Creativity always leaves the lasting impression. Gothic 1 & 2 both have that creativity and both do most things well. It really does have it's own niche. The devs went above and beyond most games, attempting to deliver smooth transition and activity breathing life into a large world you will no doubt spend a great deal of time in.

Thank you PB.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:34 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

To tell the truth gothic wasn't so difficult as Morrowind.Morrowind is more compicated.Also I found the fighting system bad in Morrowind and the story ofcourse. In gothic you can finish the game with different ways.And you have the freedom to do whatever you want.Many games have tryed that but they didn't succed like gothic.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:31 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

although the fighting system in Morrowind was extremly bad, the system isn't perfect in Gothic either. you don't have much freedom while fighting - with that I mean the moves, you have a few moves, and you must do it with that - but further more, Gothic and GII were excellent games. my best credits goes to the storyline. and the wost to the graphics. luckily they are using another engine in GIII.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:55 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next