Gothic starting to get flat
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Gothic starting to get flat

I'm level 20 or so and the game is starting to drag. The begining was really good. Exploring the new camp. Lots of NPC conversations. After becoming a mercenary the game has slowed dramaticly. Lee never has anything to say as the mercenary leader. Most characters at this point don't have much to say. Feels pretty stale. Just trying to kill the gollums now. That's quite the pain as a warrior with little magic. Still a neat game though. One of the coolest things was falling in the falls near that empty, broken castle on top of the hill. Road the river all the way to the swamp camp. Very cool.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:58 am
nidal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well , i still love to live gothic again and againe
there still too many choices in the sequences of events and with joining the
camps ,any way there's too many wonderful hidden places have graet weapons and potions ,and only one hidden place has great armor much much better than Thorus armor, but if you get there you should be strong enough and patient to fight all the mummys befor you can get the armor
and go back to kill comaz ,and this is just the beginning....
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:07 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's about this time that you also start to notice the primitive skill and combat system, and the game becomes less and less challenging.
Subquests start becoming more and more abundant etc.

It's not like the NPC have much to say anytime during the game, except for during the main quest (much like ANY OTHER RPG), which I'm thankful for, since I hate the audio-conversations (makes this game more of an adventure game than it already is).
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:09 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I think audio conversations really make characters feel more alive,thus adding the immersion in the game overall.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:19 am
Paladin1124
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
I think audio conversations really make characters feel more alive,thus adding the immersion in the game overall.

I agree! I think voice adds to the immersion factor, not only in Gothic but all RPGs.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:22 am
CrimsonJam
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, the game does drag on a bit at that point. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you may be able to kill any of the golems with any weapons as long as you get a critical.

If that's not the case, then just load up on scrolls of firebolt and icebolt. Cronos sells plenty.

You may have to retreat back and replenish your mana every now and then, but it shouldn't take too long.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:35 pm
sfar200213
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah, spoken dialogue rocks, that was one of the bad things about morrowind. Gothic rules all through the game, but i do think that chapter one is the best part of any game ive played. the freedom in Chapter 1 is amazing, talking, trading, (killing!) everyone. The game is too linear near the end but it still kicks major behind!
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:13 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well

I'm about level 20, have talked to Xardas. I'm on the fed ex mission to get the "whatever it is" from the orc in the cave. Is it worth it to drive on and finish? I'm sorta bored..
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:58 am
thebiz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Well

quote:
Originally posted by NidPuterGuy
I'm about level 20, have talked to Xardas. I'm on the fed ex mission to get the "whatever it is" from the orc in the cave. Is it worth it to drive on and finish? I'm sorta bored..

theres still quite a bit of game left. i agree it's not as fun near the end as it is in the beginning, but stick it out. once you are done, i think you will be satisfied.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:51 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well even in that sleepers temple are many mistry things and its pretty cool belive me the best thing how to kill there sceletions was that u summon also sceletion armys u can buy them by Xardas hehe
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:09 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks!

Needed a little encouragement to go on! This game is revolutionary but still could have been a little better. I keep hoping. The things I really like are the graphics, swimming, diving, fighting and voice overs. I can't believe any new RPG wouldn't try to raise the bar. I'm thinking that if I had my hands on the dev tools and this game in uncompiled format that you could build something awesome to behold. Gothic II might be the holy grail?
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:57 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I'm hoping Gothic 2 will expand on things. Personally, from how they've described the weapon forging, I wish it was more complicated. Weapon damage should be based upon the substance the weapon is created from. Magic gems and other enchanted items should be able to used when making the sword in order to give it special abilities.

My only *real* complaint about Gothic 1 was that I never got the open-ended exploration feeling within the specific areas. I would have liked to see more surreal, intriguing zones which took quite a long time to explore...a bit like the Dracoid Ruins in Lands of Lore II.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:10 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

there were no magical gems and thats good also better to find magical artifacts than forge some mighty one
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:52 pm
SouHai
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The voices were great for the atosphere. Overall I loved the mature, intelligent and pretty world of Gothic. It was alive and brimming with nice cool people around. Morrowinds world was stone dead.

Picking camps, learning to fight. getting ur hand on some first armor. Dreaming of becoming a guard someday while exploring the immense world. This was the best of gothic. The end chapters werent flexible. You could only do one thing. So I must agree, theyre really boring. Just hack and slash. No cool people to talk to or interesting camps to jump around in.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:46 am
Mike Rotch
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic is by-far the most addicting game I've ever played. I would of liked to see more animals "respawning" but in a different method. Like maybe you have an adult that spawns the juvenile versions of themselves but no continuesly so you don't end up with thousands of them lol. Think of a thousand scavengers. that'd be too much fun.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:30 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next