Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it just me, or are there no quests in this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Kerwyn

Is it just me, or are there no quests in this game?

Iv been to, peliagad, eboheart, balmora, seyd need, suran, and, i forgot the what the town is that they all live in a HUGE tree/vine, now, the only quests iv seen, is, 2 quests in my travels, those couple of quests in sey neen, and, the theif guild, and the guy who u give the package to, iv been askibg pretty much everyone i see, now, im quite sure im wrong, but still......
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:03 pm

The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Nah, it's just you. Actually, if you join a guild in Balmora (or any other place for that matter) and start completing their quests your reputation will increase. ...and as people begin to think more highly of you... they'll offer you more and more and more quests.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:55 pm
Kerwyn

Oh, ok, thx hurricane
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:02 pm

Yes, it is just you. Theres 500 quests in the game...
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:02 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I am in one time completīng quests for:
1) thieves guild
2) wariors guild
3) mages guild
4) imperial cult
5) redoran
6) baldes
7) at least 20 other people

and I am a little bit confused with it
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:49 pm
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

tHIS GAME HAS MORE QUESTS THAN i THINK i'VE EVER SEEN IN AN RPG. aS dANICEK SAID, SO MANY THAT IT CAN GET CONFUSING. i'VE HAD TO LEARN not TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHEN i HAVE MORE THAN 4 OR 5 QUESTS GOING AT ONCE. :d

(OOPS, SOORY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, BEEN RUNNING AROUND THE cALDERA MINES, YA KNOW.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:04 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

what's in a quest

i think it depends on what you think a quest ought to be. if you mean running an errand for someone (as in, oh great i am a delivery boy again ), playing doctor to some local , or pretending to be the local healer ...then yes there are 500 quests in MW. otherwise, i think there are probably less than 500 quests in MW.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:23 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Quests

The saddest thing is that so many people are allowing themselves to be convinced that there are quests all over the place. Just like one person in this thread said that he has stopped talking to people due to so many quests. In truth, the quests are almost exclusively centered on a few people who are the heads of "guilds" - everybody else is window dressing at best.

Further, as somebody else just said in this thread, the vast majority of the quests are simplistic and mundane at the very best - and once you have done three or four you have effectively done them all since they are just carbon copies of each other (delivery is delivery).
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:22 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I disagree. Just a few examples from early in the game: Solve the murder of the tax collector, do the love quests with Ahlnassi, kill the egg poachers, convince two folks of koining the guild, bring someone to a shrine, help a "slave"...
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:35 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I disagree. Just a few examples from early in the game: Solve the murder of the tax collector, do the love quests with Ahlnassi, kill the egg poachers, convince two folks of koining the guild, bring someone to a shrine, help a "slave"...

I didn't say there weren't ANY. But those are about it. A very small number of the "500 total quests". The vast majority are "take this thing to that person" or "go kill that person" or "go get this thing from that place". Further, in the vast majority of the quests there isn't even any reason given - much less one that matters to the story. As well, in virtually all of them, there really isn't any compelling (or roleplaying) option to what is required. "Kill that person" - no option to talk to them, take a bribe, take them to a safe place and lie about it, ask them why they might be wanted dead, ask them if they have a reason or excuse, etc., etc.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
I didn't say there weren't ANY. But those are about it. A very small number of the "500 total quests". The vast majority are "take this thing to that person" or "go kill that person" or "go get this thing from that place".

Hmm... And what else are quests?
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:05 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

If you havent heard from me you know i am at work hehe. Danicek you are right. Quests are delivering and completeing tasks for people. And your over all quest is to be high level and powerful. What are these guys talking about? I think they expect more not realizing there isnt much more to quests. People always want more no matter how much there is. Hey Danicek what does your name mean?
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:31 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Hmm... And what else are quests?

I would expect (from a game that wishes to have the fame and reputation as Morrowind does) to find many (if not most) quests with a bit more "meat" to them. A little intrigue, some options rather than precisely one way to do them (kill the person) and also some tie in with the story so there is a REASON to do these things. Just go kill X because we ask you to or because we say he is a bad guy doesn't cut it in a first rate roleplay game.

As an aside, I went through the quests I have completed so far and collated them. Of the 152 quests my character has completed the breakout is as follows:

Kill X - 46
Fetch or deliver something - 71
Convince X (of whatever) or kill him - 25
Miscellaneous - 10

Virtually all of these were trivial and had no storyline supported reason. With the exception of two, there was NO option except for precisely what was required - very, very seldom could even talk to the person I was supposed to kill to discuss the matter with him/her. Yes, some REAL roleplay interaction here.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:37 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

He once said it was an abbreviation of his own name.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:37 pm
AlexScherr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Interesting stats, Joey Nipps

ill X - 46
Fetch or deliver something - 71
Convince X (of whatever) or kill him - 25
Miscellaneous - 10

But those numbers are suspect: that's what you're told to do. And if you do what you're told, that's what you'll get.

But I've been able to solve multiple different quests in multiple different ways. I've even been able to avoid a substantial percentage of the "kill someone" quests, by persuading them to leave, or by providing trumped up proof of their death. And of course, even the "same" quests involve different challenges, different locales, and different kinds of approach, and bring me in contact with characters who add a little more to my overall understanding of the game world.

From your post elsewhere, you clearly reduce a quest to its minimum features, its "basic" features: this quest is "basically a kill someone quest"; that quest is "basically a Fed Ex quest." If you stop doing that, and take in the world and culture surrounding the quest, and appreciate the nuanced differences in where the game takes you, and how the person or place you're going to fits into the understory . . . well you won't be doing what you like to do, but you'll find out why a lot of other people like the game so much.

Alex
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next