Mood
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Mood

This may not be a topic of great interest amoungst all Gothic fans, but I was wondering what people were hoping mood of Gothic 3 would feel like.

In my opinion the mood of the Gothic games has always been critical to what makes the series so great and unique. In the old camp of Gothic there was a feeling of an unstable order maintained soley by the bullying will of the Ore Barons and their cronies. Everyone was armed, and people whispered about "being careful about what you talked about" and if you weren't wary you could be ambushed and beaten to a pulp by some thug who was paid to punish you for not paying your protection money. The uneasy feeling was also very similar to what you found in Korhinis, where the the farmers told of Orcs at the outskirts of their land, and where you'd even find one a not far from the gates of Korhinis itself!

Personally I hope the mood in G3 is closest to the feel you got when you returned to the Valley of Mines to find the world turned upside down and hell on earth. The opressing and downbeat music, the blasted and burned landscape, the hoardes of orcs and the scattered pockets of despairing and sometimes doggedly determined survivors. Imho it was an awesome and totally unique atmosphere that's never really been mimiced by any other game I've played. Only Guild Wars' post Searing world and Final Fantasy 6's World of Ruin come close. And when you think of it the invasion of the valley it's just another part of the invasion of Myrtana, so it should hopefully feel very similar, but on a much larger scale. And with even more panic!

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you feel the same, or do you think the mood of Gothic could now use a change of tone with our hero finally arriving on the mainland? Maybe it should be more civilized and ordered in some places since there's some standing countries and cities that are more advanced that Kohrinis? Am I the only person who cares about this sorta niche topic?
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:56 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

i want it to feel like Gothic 1 , and they also said in the review they made the game have that dirty gothic look like in the first game , you can tell by looking at the forest screens the huts and stuff
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:41 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes I would like to the same mood like in gothic I,and also some mistycal forests where even the orcs are afraid to enter where a unknown and powereful tribe lives.And of course I wold like some chill places where is quiet
and beautiful or romantic
And by the way this subject is very interesting thank you for posting it.
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:42 am
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Jazzy you took the letters right out of my keyboard, thats exactly what i want.
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:26 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Aye, they've said already that they're going for a more G1 kind of feeling, and that's what I want too. So far, the atmosphere in Gothic 1 is my absolutte favourite in any RPG. Also, read the new article uploaded by Gorath on GothicDot, says that they'll do anything to try and make it feel right.

That's good news!
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:48 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:56 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, it was explicitly said that the world was Gothicīs most important feature and that it still is Gothicīs most important feature.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:54 pm