I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions of the game. Score 1-10
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions of the game. Score 1-10

I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions of the game. If you have played it please rate 1-10.

Thanks!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:55 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You hear mixed opinions? Some people are only sad because of performance on their PCs. Other than that I hear only excited words.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:57 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Well, i haven't played it, yet! I have waited for this game for 4 years!
I think it will be excellent... but if its true what i heard about the FPS... i will give it -10!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:57 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Played 5 hours last night...(system listed at bottom)

Installation: 10
(smooth and fast)
Game Startup: 9
(was suprized it forced me to use 32bit color, possible performance loss here?)
Character Creation: 10
(multiple creation paths-pregen, question based, or custom, well done)
Game Play: 9
(hard to tell what effect some things have, heavy weapon-hit hard, but does it have a slower swing? wasn't clear)
Visuals: 10
(water, sky, weather, NPC sneaking is sooo funny)
Combat: 8
(takes practice, not much feedback to learn if your striking well or not)
Adventure: 10
(go where you want when you want, VERY detailed)
Doors: 7
(sometimes you just want to peek inside-like gothic, but here they force you to completely enter the building)
NPC: 9 (very nice having an attitude meter-that's what i call it)
Journal: 8 (detailed, but somehow lacking and clear table of contents)

Cons: Outside i do get pausing, too early to tell if i can tweak this some

P4 1.8@2.0
512mb RDRAM
Geforce3
Santa Cruz
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:13 pm
RyeDog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bothered but impressed

I have to say, ive read alot of complaints, and I have played the game...

Despite the fact that this game may not run as smoothly as Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I am still very much impressed with this game.

So, i give it a perfect 10. The developers still, in my opinion made great strides in world creation, and im not letting technical issues get in th way of my objectivity here.

I have a 1Ghz system with 256Mb of Ram, a Geforce 4 Ti 4600, and that is adequate for me to play the game and enjoy the world.

If your still unsure, i would let you know that despite setbacks discussed, i don't regret purchasing this game. Im sure in the future, the company may even release patches allowing users to further modify thier settings to help facilitate a more enjoyable game experience.

I may have not liked the quality of the "collectors box", but i must be fair to myself and you and say i love this game.

Last edited by RyeDog on Fri May 03, 2002 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:20 pm

The game is a 10 but the random crashes to desktop takes it down to 8.

(crashes every 30 min if not more often)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:21 pm

Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

10; no bugs encountered so far; framerate is great on high end systems
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:14 pm
Hawk71

No problems

I give it a 10, I like it that much (I never like anything that much...) No bugs and my frame rates are fine. LOVE the game play!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:53 pm

Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

After reading the whiners on the forums, I was expecting massive problems when I got it (like with daggerfall), but I was amazed when I started playing. Amazed at the graphics, the open gameworld, and yes, even with the performance. It runs smoothly for me, I have had no crashes or bugs in almost 20 hours of playing, and I haven't had a single bad experince (except when I got lost in Vivec). It's worth the price just to walk around and watch the weather change. Can't find any reason not to give it a 10.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:54 pm
Sand

Based on 2 hours of play, a 9 -- mainly because it's too early to be sure it's a 10. Incredibly immersive, and addictive in a good way; not the "one more level/item/kill" way that games like Diablo are addictive. I feel /good/ about playing Morrowind.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:05 pm

mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd give it a 9. I know a lot of people complain about the framerates and such, but I got it working perfectly with my 1,4GHz Athlon / GF2 GTS. I just had to drop some details off, set the view distance to a bit from the maximum and thats it.

I know a lot of people wouldn't want to compomize, especially when they have high-end machines and the engine is not as good as it should be, but I don't even notice the absence of shadows etc. when i truly get into the game.

As for the game itself: absolutely brilliant. The world seems so alive, the AI is good and everything seems to be working just fine. Only a couple of things relating to the NPC's keep me from giving it a 10:

#1 Most of them lack real "persona". Ofcourse the bit more relevant characters have their traits and views (i loathe the camonna tong for their views), but they Joe Farmers in the game start to lose their appeal after a few hours.

#2 They seem to never move. And I don't mean walking around, I mean actually moving from place to place. The shopkeepers stay in their shops 24/7 etc..
please correct me if I'm wrong with this statement, as it seems strange that this kind of behaviour is not implemented
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:43 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Daggerfall junkie

I've waited for this game since my hubby threw away my daggerfall software.

I am still unhappy with the performance, and there is definately some type of memory leak causing the crashes (something Daggerfall was notorious for and the cause of my software visiting the great recyle bin in the sky) BUT

I can't but give it a 10.

This is the best game by far and I cant wait until it comes out for the XBox so I can REALLY play it. (Xbox or new pc....tough choice )

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:48 pm
maddog0606
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's not a perfect 10 but darn close. I'd give it a 9.6 only because if I exit out of MW and start up again my mouse locks up and I have to press the reset button to get control.

Other then that I really like the game. I like how the game is open ended. If I don't want to do the major quests I don't have to. If I want to murder and pillage (to bad I can't burn down the houses) I can. If I want to be the Sir Galahad I can.

I love the graphics. I do have to cut the distance at about 75% to get a good frame rate. But I can live with that.

The only thing I would want different would be a little more visual feedback on the damage done to someone (or something) I am wailing on.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:15 pm
endho
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

-7-
good graphics
huge world

but journal and dialogue(too much topics,you are completly lost with those damn topics in big town, the sames for all NPC : to boring, it's just "click click click") too bad
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:25 pm