Dragon Age: Forum Highlights @ Sorcerer's Place
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dragon Age: Forum Highlights @ Sorcerer's Place

A new <a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/index_forumnews.php#000888" target="_blank">batch</a> of dev posts from BioWare's Dragon Age forum is up at Sorcerer's Place. For a change of pace, let's take a quote from designer Georg Zoeller:<blockquote><em>What is the status of Dragon Age? Is it dead? <br> <br>Hehe, funny how certain games are always brought up, even if a game isn't anywhere close to long in development. <br> <br>How about any other Bioware game that wasn't a sequel? <br> <br>take NWN for example - it took around 5 years to create that game... <br> <br>DA was announced GDC last year, and unless you do a sequel with an existing engine (which DA isn't) you can't make a decent, BioWare style PC RPG in 18 month. Not anywhere close to 18 month in fact. We're in a position that allows us to take the time necessary to do things right, rather than rushing to the market. <br> <br>Seriously, if you are already posting "is it dead" today, your attention span probably won't last till the game is released, it's still a long way out </em></blockquote>
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 am
abbaon

These forum highlights raise more questions than they answer. Like: how does Bioware fit so many combative assholes in one building without the place burning down?
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 am

Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

I know Bioware doesn't read this, but I hope someone tells them what I'm about to say, because they need to hear the truth.

Bioware, in 5 years, no one will ever *care* about Dragon age. The only reason gamers even know your name is because of KOTOR and BG1/2. After KOTOR 2 bombing the way it did, and you failing to realize the demand for a BG3, you have crapped away a large part of your "clout" in this industry. Your name carries no weight anymore. Other companies, such as Piranha Bytes and Arkane Studios are coming in to take what thunder you had left.

This isn't even factoring in the sad truth that DA's graphics are 2003 quality. You really think that 5 years from now, in 2010 (Or even a few years from now) anyone will want to install another horrible looking, plain-vanilla RPG on their Nvidia 9900 XXX dual SLI systems? I think NWN2 is more then we need in that department, Bioware.

The mighty have truly fallen. After seeing how plain and uninspired Jade Empire was (I beat it as quickly and easily as Fable) I see now where you are headed.

You know what Bioware? Keep making the smart comments...because 5 years from now, when you *think* DA is going to be released, you'll actually be working for me...cleaning my office trash can.

Hope you kept some of your old surgical gloves Dr. Ray, I have a use for them.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:48 pm
gargar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Shimbatha... what are you talking about? first kotor 2 wasn't done by bioware. it was done by obsidian. also, you're talking about how old DA looks... may i remind you that BG2 wasn't the greatest looking game of his generation (or even the last generation) and yet it sold millions? oh, and you've forgoten neverwinter nights over there. which still keep selling and have new releases even though it so old and looks so outdated. and while jade empire wasn't deep in tems of gameplay it had a wonderful story like you expect from any bioware game.

to me, it's seams you're main concern is the graphics. well, you have those bioware xbox 360 games. those who looks for good old bioware game however will play DA no matter how "old" it look
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:12 am