Members
Usergroups
Do You Think This Character Could Work?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Benjamin

Do You Think This Character Could Work?

Hey, everyone! I was just wondering if you think the following custom character would be viable in the game:

Class : Diplomat
Race : Imperial
Birthsign : Lady

Primary Skills:
- Mercantile (PER)
- Speechcraft (PER)
- Heavy Armor (END)
- Long Blade (STR)
- Blunt Weapon (STR)
Secondary Skills:
- Alchemy (INT)
- Enchant (INT)
- Mysticism (WIL)
- Security (INT)
- Armorer (STR)

Thanks! Have fun with the game!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 5:24 am

Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Could it work? sure! Could it be better? I think so.

Personally, I'd dump blunt weapon from your majors. You only need (really only should have) 1 melee weapon skill. Then, depending on how you want to play him, move either sneak or one of the magika skills up to a major. FIll the empty minor slot with Athletiscism. (Heavy Armor is REALLY heavy...Athletics is almost mandatory when you take this skill)

But the main thing is HAVE FUN...PLAY WHAT SOUNDS COOL TO YOU!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

From all characters you speak about in this forum I have feeling that there are so many and so different possibilities in this game...

Hehe, I think only creating good and "fun for me" character will be long and good fun.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:24 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think that's exactly the right way to do it. There will be "powergamers" who will figure out the best possible skills combo to have the easiest time in the game. But I want to have fun with it, I want to PLAY a character. Mine will be a charming, nimble, thieving type, not because it will be the "best", but because I thinkit will be fun.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:31 am

All I would add, is pick the skills you want to roleplay your character with. Personally I would play a non combative diplomat, but this game allows every combo you can imagine
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:17 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I second these thoughts. Make a character you want to roleplay. Don't care about the stats too much. I have talked to Pete Hines lately and he said that it IS possible to raise all your skills to 100 (all 27 of them, if you like to do so). Of course this would take time, a lot of time, but it is possible.

I. for my part, will do a breton or redguard custom made class. Even if I do the redguard, I will opt for alchemy, but only later in the game, not as a major or minor skill. First of all, you can train skills at trainers, and second you can train them by using them. I intend to spend a lot of time in Vvardenfell, more or less living a life there, and doig quests inbetween. I intend to spend a lot of tim on training, trading, hunting, exploring. The quests are secondary to me.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 9:31 am
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A challenge...

This thread has made me wonder what it would be like to begin a game with the least combat oriented character possible. Use only your stealth, your speech, and perhaps some passive magic to live your life. I can understand that there might be parts of the game which are inaccessable due to the fact that so-and-so must be stopped (killed). But, what do you think? Is this a worthy challenge? How would your character look skill wise?

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:42 pm
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How about:
Majors:
Speechcraft
Hand to Hand
Unarmored
Restoration
Illusion

Minors:
Athletics
Acrobatics
Sneak
Security
Mercantile

If you really want to talk your way out of problems, go with Imperial, born under the lady, for a huge personality bonus.

Would be VERY challenging, but might be a whole lot of fun!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 3:55 pm
Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

HanshaSuro, I have the same question, but I think I know what the answer will be. I know a lot of RPGs can offer a very diverse character creation process, but whether all possible created characters can even function within those games successfully is questionable. Certainly, you cannot test all the various combinations before game release.

It does appear through all I've read, though, that Morrowind has enough diversity so that all the various skills each have a meaningful function. There may be quests that you never get as a result of your character, or NPCs who will not talk with you, etc. but I am confident the main story quests won't have skill-based restrictions in completing them. The ease of completing them may vary, though. We'll find out...

I was reading at another website about the vampire implementation, and how becoming a vampire can make a whole lot of things more difficult to do in the game, perhaps more restrictive than any other race/class/skill combination you can produce. Yet, you can apparently still complete the main quest as a vampire. Very difficult to do, but it can be done.

I think the distinction of Morrowind is that regardless the character you create, there is a wide open and diverse experience awaiting you. Those people who want to do quests and finish the main story thread should be as happy as those who just want to be a highly social rogue, join a guild, travel around and see what happens next, etc.

If I wanted to rush through this game, I would probably use a game-provided melee or magic character template. But I won't do this. I want to explore this game and see what lies around each corner. For this, I will create one or more characters with distinctive attributes and play the game around their skill set. Like life itself, the direction you take depends on who you are. Seems like Morrowind will offer this sort of experience, which if it is true, will be very, very cool.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:23 pm