Usergroups
Dual classes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Is it good to make dual classes from some characters?

---

And one more question - on what level are your characters when you finish this game?
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:02 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I've never messed with it as to be good in the second class, you basically have to stop doing everything you used to do from your 1st class. So its like weak, medium, powerful, now medium (2nd class) and now its so late in the game, will be hard to raise that 2nd class
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:02 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I have my reservations about dual classing also. You can only do this if you have a party that's powerfull enough to back you up, once you decide to dual class. The limitiation that until you reach the same level as your first class you can not use anything from that class, is a bit too big for me to ever have tried it out.

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:49 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

For the BG2 basic game (not TOB expansion) there is a Exp. cap, which you easily can reach way before the end of the game.
This Exp cap. don't apply precisely to a certain level for your characters.
Ex. A Druid will reach level 14 way before the experience cap, but level 15 is beyond the exp.cap and therefor all the experience points after level 14 is wasted unless you dualclass the Druid. He/she can actually reach 6-9 levels in another class before hitting the cap. limit. This is true for the other classes too.
Note that only Humans can dual-class.
Exp. cap limit is 2950000.
Don't dualclass magicusers, so that they can't reach their highest levels, because the last level is what really makes them powerfull.
Use manual appendix to see the level/exp relations for the different classes.
For other hints regarding character building look here: http://www.locusinn.com/index.php?hsaction=100&game=bg2&dir=hinttips/start&l1=hints&l2=0
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 9:01 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

With a little planning, dual class characters are far more powerful than multiclass characters.

Within the context of Baldur's Gate series, let's look at this.

A mage is limited to 17th level. Yet the cap leaves room for another million xp or so...

You can make a fighter, get him to level 12, then dual him to a mage and STILL end up level 17. Then if you have TOB you're laughing as you can continue to level 30 as a mage no problem. You're still a really, really good fighter at level 12. With the gear available you will still hit everything all the time, and with the defensive spells you'll be almost invincible.

I had a fighter/mage who cast mirror image, blur, stoneskin, globe of invulnerability, improved haste, then tensers transformation...

AC -14, images absorbing hits, stonesking negating hits when they do manage to hit your ac AND the real you, 8 attacks a round, and ... um... 250 hp or so due to tensers.

Sure, a multiclass can do the same.. but he advances only half as fast and has to split his hit points. A dual class fighter/mage has his cake and eats it too. All the benefits of both, none of the penalites.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:37 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, it looks very interesting. Can you please give me some hints when to make dual class, what are best characters for it, etc.?
I am new in AD&D games so I do not know rules well

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-14 13:22 ]
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:21 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

True, a dual classed character is by far better than a multiclassed character because it has none of the limits that are imposed on multiclassed characters.
You have to be human in order to dual class though AFAIK

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:59 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think the Kensai / Mage combination is the one most favoured to get powerful characters. You need to have all primary attributes of BOTH classes at least 17 (for kensai/mage that means 17 str, 17 int, I think). I have never tried it, though, since I've only finished BG2 once, as a Cavalier.
Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:55 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Kensai/Mage is the 'ultimate' fighter/mage hybrid as Kensai can't wear armor so they perfect their sword arts... and mages can't wear armor so perfect their spell casting arts...

If you play for pure power.

Dual classing requires 17s in both prime requisites. Just so you don't have to look that up...

17 Str - Fighters
17 Dex - Thieves
17 Wis - Clerics
17 Int - Mages

The 'best' time to dual would be after the class you want to be weaker is level 10. Most can go to 11 or 12, but check the experience charts in the manual and do the math. Both desired classes levels can't add to more than 2.95 million experience. Unless you're using Throne of Bhaal, in which case both classes can't add to more than... 8 million?

There are some other wicked combinations for dual classing. Fighter mage is popular, of course... so is fighter thief. One that's overlooked, however, is cleric/mage. Especially if you use Throne of Bhaal because you can get the cleric to 14 before switching classes.

The cleric hits his stride at level 14. Max level spells, cheapo experience to get there, and turn undead doesn't get MUCH better (it gets a little better, though) from there on in. If you dual at that point, you'll have a long time getting back your cleric levels... but it's worth it.

In the end, after all, you have to like someone who can heal another character with a thought OR destroy the planet. Whichever works.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:35 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

(Aerie the NPC ends up able to do this, but as a multiclass her hit points are weak and she takes FOREVER to get the higher level spells. This character build advances much faster and only requires that you have another cleric in the party (I suggest Anomen) while you're leveling up as a mage)

Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:39 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I dug up this old one to confirm something. If I start as a Kensai and Dual to a thief when I reach the level in thief above Kensai, I will get my THACO and weapons proficiencies back right? I originally assumed so but it made me question that when I hit dual and it asked me to select new proficiencies. Provided I do get them back, will it become what the proficiencies where before Dualing or will they combine?
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes, you'll get all your powers, thaco, saves, and proficiencies back. Actually, you keep the better of the two.

In the case of weapons... I believe (not 100% sure) that they don't 'stack'. The greater will win (if you put 1 point in katana and had 3 points as a Kensai, when you get Kensai back you'll go to three). I may be wrong on that, though.

Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:08 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

They stack, I've tried it.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:24 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hah, my old topic, allmost one year old, interesting :].
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:01 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

What game were you playing when you started it? BG2?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next