Usergroups
How to surprise opponents?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How do I "get the first shot" so to speak. I've tried initiating combat, and then casting something like fireball but all the enemies get to move before I do anything anyway. Seems like all the enemies are faster than I am (even though I up my characters' speed a lot) and spells almost always go last, including healing ones. I don't quite understand the system of this game yet, but is there any way to get a pre-emptive? I was able to do it in the demo a lot. (By the way, yea I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm one of those people that likes to know all of the technics of a game, my apologies if I'm being annoying. )

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:50 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Don't worry psyborg. The forum is here for thoughtful discussion and answers to questions.
Perhaps you should try the defensive spells like Chameleon or Shadow Hound. Not only do they help raise you magic abilities, but I've found my character's can get first strikes more often that way. In fact, cast all the defensive spells you can to raise your magic skills quickly. They also add protection that will help you come out on top more often in battles.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:59 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Now I'm stuck having to fight these Crusher Crabs on the road to Arnika...and they have much higher init's than my characters. My entire party is level 6, should I be higher level by now? But I thought level didn't matter because the game will always make the enemies based on your level. I need to know how to make mages cast spells fast, how to get their init up. Is there anything aside from the Speed attribute that can influence spell inits?

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:30 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I would assume that the weight they are carrying has an effect. Weighed done characters don't get as many attacks per round. I think you should do a little more leveling in the Monestary. Camp that green slime pit and get some easy experience. Aside from speed I think dexterity also increases the number of attacks your characters get. But if you want initiative increase speed first. Once you max that you'll get the special ability snakespeed, which increases your initiative even more. By the end of the game, my fairy mage almost always got first strikes.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:52 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-28 22:30, psyborg wrote:
Now I'm stuck having to fight these Crusher Crabs on the road to Arnika...and they have much higher init's than my characters. My entire party is level 6, should I be higher level by now? But I thought level didn't matter because the game will always make the enemies based on your level.

No, game doesnt based enemies on your level.
Yes, later in game you will meet much stronger enemies on place, where you met weaker before, but generaly game does not based enemy level on your level.
So when fight is too difficult for you, just go away and train your characters a little bit more - it will help.

quote:

I need to know how to make mages cast spells fast, how to get their init up. Is there anything aside from the Speed attribute that can influence spell inits?

Yes, it is little bit difficult (impossible) to fully understand this - why does not my character with very high speed always attack first when I iniciated combat?
I do not know, but here are things that influance this initiative:
- speed
- senses
- level of "load"

Important: senses, not dexterity is second most important quality for your characters initiative.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-29 00:24 ]
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:23 am

Yes, the game bases enemy level on your level as well as the area you are in. Because of this fact I recommend that you stay in the monestary far longer than you should BUT do not take your level ups!!
You do NOT have to click on the level ups when you get them, in fact you shouldn't!!!
It is very important that you build your skills before you start taking level ups because it is far easier to learn them at level 1 against level 1 creatures that can be easily killed.
Once your skills have gone up a lot you'll notice that the level 1 creatures die much faster and do almost no damage to you. Only then should you take your first level up...

You'll thank me later, especially if you have any magic casters in your party.

As far as initiative goes. Many factors influence this. Senses is one of the big ones as someone already mentioned. Also another good thing to have is a ranger, not only do they search at all times but the scouting ability helps spot and identify creatures before they can attack you, thus helping your initiative.
Also, different classes skills have different dependacies for how quick they attack. In general melee attacks will rely on speed/dexterity/sense. Casters, bard, and gadgeteers use speed/sense and usually one other attribute associated with their skills.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:51 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

NO, enemies does not level up according your level.
There are only areas, where:
a) are strong creatures because you will (or should) enter this areas later in game
b) respawn stronger creatures than there were before (when you f. e. after some progress in main story return to monastery, you will find there stronger creatures)
c) some creatures in places you visited many times before start to appeare after you reach certain point in story (f. e. Jurgenauts on road between Arnika and Trynton).
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:01 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for all your help people. I did notice though that in the demo though as I leveled up in the monastery, I met stronger slimes and stuff...but I know there are places where the enemies are pre-set. But I'm feeling more confident now, last night I beat up like 8 hardshell crabs and 8 venom crabs...at once...they ambushed me from two sides right in the desert outside the monastery...I still won. I think my characters ate well when I finally got to camp.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:52 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You are welcome Psyborg.

I am of course not sure of that creatures leveling. Sometimes it really looks like they are leveling up according your level.
But as far as I know they level is based on point of story (and nearly all time only where they suppose you will come again (for example in monastery will appeare stronger creatures only after you leave it and then there will respawn, but stay same forever)).
But when you fight strong group of creature, you can alway go away and perform more training. I hate when you do it and then you realize that that creature is also stronger .
But I did not meat such thing in Wizardry 8, only one time I had such feeling.

P. S.: I did not play demo, so maybe in dome it is different.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:08 am