Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Game is killing my PC.....WANT an answer...!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
sahuagin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

O.k.....first things first.
Windows ME
Pentium 3
1.4ghz Processor
128Mb Ram
nVidia GeForce 2

Right....this is the situation.
Pc works fine, no more crashes than you'd expect (& I'm a Comp Tech so'd I'd know).
Buy Gothic and install...all is fine.
Play the game, slows and jerks around but ok.

Reboot and start game again...mouse doesn't work!
***Microsoft Intellipoint mouse***

Changed mouse from USB port to PS/2 port, works there. Found out now that it still stops workin after a few minutes to an hour and I have to reboot for it to be reinstalled!

Some might say that this is a comp problem....but I never had any problems before installing the game.
I de-frag once a week at least and scan-disk /virus scan every day (Yes, I am that paranoid!) so it cant be a corruption and device manager shows no conflicts.

So come on you guys n gals in the know....what is causing this? Can it be fixed or should I just uninstall the game, defrag (AGAIN!) and use the disk as a coffee-mat?

Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:55 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

As a computer tech, you must CERTAINLY know that 128 meg ram simply isn't adequate these days. Get up to 500 meg and everything is likely to be fine.

Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:57 pm
sahuagin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am also aware that if it works with AvP2, Red Faction, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and hundreds of other high spec games, but screws up with Gothic, it aint my system!

Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:03 pm
Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

More than 1 Ghz and Windows ME does not MIX..And if you upgrade your RAM to 512 DONT run windows ME..It will crash cause ME does not support more than 256..I KNOW THAT..

Try and upgrade your OS to XP and get more RAM. Then you would be fine..

AND your problem is NOT the game..My brother has almost the same system you have and he has NO problem..

Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:24 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

haha, so many myths out there...
I got Win ME on my machine, and I just put it back on. XP used to be on there, but Im not in the business of debugging M$s beta OSs so I took it off.
I got 512 MB of Ram and a 1.9Ghz machine and I dont have any problems with stability. In fact my machine is more stable now that with that xp.
This is gonna sound weird, but someone with same problem like yours (stable OS until Gothic. Peripheral devices failing out) He said he bought a sound card and everything stopped crashing. What your sound card would have to do with mouse/KeyB failure I dunno, but thats what the post said and others said they fixed their problems by replacing sound hardware too
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Also - if you ARE a computer tech you should know that there are soooo many variables in any computer system that the problem can a strange combination of hardware, OS, drivers and magic. My brother was having a wide variety of funky shutdowns, video and audio problems - it turned out to be his mouse. He bought a new one and everything cleared up. So start trying everything.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:17 am
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I played RTCW and Gothic. Gothic's entire world is loaded when you play. RTCW loads a new map every round.
Memory is very important. But you also need the latest drivers. I just upgraded my Operating system and Gothic would lock up. It never did before that. I reinstalled Directx 8.1 and reinstalled my video drivers.
Gothic is a demanding game for you video card and that Geforce2 runs very hot. Try getting a better fan for your card.
Post Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:28 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Like Joey says it could be anything. Bad mouse for example. I have the original (im) explorer. It has a known problem with the cord, which can lose contact and cause the mouse to fail. I taped mine up, taping the cord to the body of the mouse, end of problem.

My system:
PII 350 Geforce2 64mbr, 256ram.
As others have said it's the total package. Sure my system is crappy by today's standards,
but I have no problems running Gothic whatsoever.
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:27 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Debugging ms beta Os's. Good one.
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:31 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Download Nvidia faq's here:
http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:13 am
mc2man
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

didn't know pentium 3 went up to 1.4
i partioned my drive and have a separate os
for games with absolute min. installed to play single person games only. never any problemsonly 1 crash in last year(gothic on exiting)
Post Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:31 am

Heh,
"Comp Techs" = Arrogant computer user.
But your problem certainly is a strange one. I'm not entirely sure what all Gothic installs that would make your system so unstable, but I have a few suggestions. I'm also assuming the computer isn't locking up when your mouse stops responding.

Run System File Checker (can be run from several locations, but start->run->sfc is the easiest way) and see if it complains about any corrupted or missing files.

Try deleting the USB and Mouse devices in the device manager to force Windows REALLY reinstall the drivers upon start up. (It's probably best to do this in safe mode)

Your USB.inf file may have an error in it, the best way to fix it is by doing the following:
Bootup into safe mode, enter the device manager, select your usb host controller, open the properties and check "Disable in this hardware profile". click ok, restart, go back into device manager, open the USB host controller again, and clear the "disable in this hardware profile" box, click ok and restart.

Also try disabling ACPI (in the bios) if it's on?

Not that it has anything to do with the mouse, but try running dxdiag and see if it reports any problems with the directx files, just in case.

Post again if none of that helps and anymore information you can provide that may give a better explaination of whats happening.

As for the ones talking about Windows and its RAM limitations...Win 95/98/SE/ME can sometimes develop problems when you have more than 512M of RAM. Instead of boring you all with details you can read one of the problems here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253912
note: there is a solution for this problem as described on the page...

hope that helps,
-antigov
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:52 pm

LexXx
He who has no title
He who has no title

quote:

On 2002-02-04 12:57, Joey Nipps wrote:
As a computer tech, you must CERTAINLY know that 128 meg ram simply isn't adequate these days. Get up to 500 meg and everything is likely to be fine.

Well spoken
Post Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:33 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Some useful tips, Antigov.
Post Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:31 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

This topic includes so many usefull tips. If someone asks again about problems they have with Gothic, then we could use this as tips link

[ This Message was edited by: Bigpapa on 2002-03-17 19:52 ]
Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:51 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next