Usergroups
The Ending...My review..."BIG SPOILER"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

SPOILER …….Do not read unless you have finished the game!! AND IF YOU READ IT ANYWAY, I DON”T WANT TO HEAR SHIT!! I’m tired of the groveling babies crying about someone spoiling the game because they were too stupid to not read a message that said “SPOILER”
I get the sequel thing but let’s take a look at the ending shall we. You invest a lot of time meeting & dealing with people and solving a lot of quests. During this phase of the game you are required you battle some pretty heavy opponents whether they be people, entities or wildlife. And that is only during the first half of the game. By the second half, you’re so pumped up that most fights are a slaughter. At the end of the game there are few quests and the ones you get are not even hard. You would think that the game would get harder as you reach the end, not get easier. Then there is the ending…You enter this great hall (good eye candy) and have to fight a couple of loonies. Then you meet Xardis and he tells you what you need to do and then passes out. If you have a couple of warriors with you (which I did for my own safety (I thought I would need them)), they take off and start to hack away at the only guy with answers. So you’re forced to kill your own guys to save Xardis (what’s up with that?). After that, you start to explore the great hall. You find and search the mummies, with all the potions you find you start to think of this great battle that is about to happen because of all the shit that they are giving you (I did anyway). Then, you work your way down to the hall of the Sleeper and are allowed to pick off the loonies one by one. This, IMO, is major mistake on PB’s part. Instead of hitting a loony with an arrow or bolt and having just him stand and attack, the fist loony hit should have set off the trigger for all loonies. Now that would have been a battle!! Now lets talk about Cor Kalom. All the loonies are dead and you encounter Cor…he gives you a little speech and starts his attack. The guy couldn’t even put a dent my armor let a lone kill me. Poor Cor. It took a while to kill him because you only got in one strike every few seconds but he eventually succumbed to Uriziel. Now that Cor is out of the way, I stood there sizing up this mother of a beast and remembered what Xardis told me. I solve the puzzles of the shrines but the defenders are lame there was only a few and I didn’t suffer much damage. Then you never get to battle the great beast…It just gets flushed down the toilet, which is what they should do with this ending, IMO.

I just hope they put a little more thought into the next ending. George Lucas (if he is the one we all know) must not have played the game because I thing he would have told them to come up with something better.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:15 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hi!
yeah i know this all, but you have not to forget that the game is not ready!!!
I mean it has not been finished!!
PB had real big problems with the financial and marketing, so that they had to finish this game as fast as possible. Thats why the story becomes more and more unlinear and only one final end!! Thats why the chicks, some dungeons, the "pirates" camp (i dont know how to call them cauze i played the german version, but there is a small camp full with "pirates") are not really implemented in the game!! There is a guy in the old mine and if you talk with him he will tell you something about escaping from the mine and so on. I guess it was planed that you have to work for a while in that old mine if you make a mistake or something like that. And you have to escape from there...
so far...

CU
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:01 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yea, I know…We all have problems. But no matter what you think, gamming is big business. If it wasn’t, you have people like George Lucas or Sid Meier working on this game. I don’t mind dropping $45 - $50 on a game, especially one of this caliber. But I do mind dropping the cash for an unfinished product, forget about all the bugs. It’s not our problem PB was running out of cash. They should have gone to their backers for more financing, NOT release an unfinished product. Don’t get me wrong here PB…I love your game and you guys did a stellar job of what you did complete. But business is business. If your product wasn’t ready for release and it wasn’t, you should have waited and finished the product. The only one your hurting here guys is you.

Sylvio
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:54 pm
thanakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I disagree with you, the ending fitted perfectly. You werenpt out to kill the big baddy, you were there to remove it period. You seriously think your little podunk mortal self is a match for an Arch Demon from an alternate plane of reality? get a grip.

What you should be complainging about is being allowed to teleport back to the Magicians of Water after charging the sword and them not kill you on site, are they not supposed to be like major pissed at you for using their ore mound? Or how bout Diego bitching you out for killing someone in the old camp after you'd been exiled and they were all trying to make you into a meat patty? Or being constantly greeted as a newcoming in the New Camp even though you are wearing the armor of a mercenary?

There are alot more problems in the game than the ending so hopefully those gameplay issues will be addressed long before they create a pretty ending.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:27 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well…they didn’t! And what’s with this get a grip shit. I was invincible to the all powerful Cor Kalom so why not do battle with this Demon. If he was such a bad ass, why didn’t he just put me to sleep or snuff me before I opened the last shrine and save his own ass. The ending just didn’t make any sense to me…

Sylvio
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:05 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

hohohooo!
its a RPG!!!
RRRRR PPPPPP GGGGG!!!
show me a RPG without a bug????

Capice?

CU
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:50 pm
r0otZ
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

shut up ragnar, your an idiot. why dont you try running a team of game designers with no money, "they shouldnt have released an unfinished product" how freakin stupid are you man, damn how can they finish it if they are broke? i think the game was pretty damn amazing, very few bugs considering the amount of different things you can do. anyway im expecting a sequel, i loved this game, would have been cool to have an option to continue playing and finish up the rest of the quests after the ending, but who cares. you can see they did cut out a bunch of stuff, but it was great regardless.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:06 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

The game was finished enough to be worth the money.

There is no production ever made that havnt been downscaled to fit the budget of the project. Movie, game whatever.

The entertainment business is no different from all other business. People work for money, and thats about it.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:22 pm
benchMarc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Today i finished the game
A frown smily because i want to go on It's so sad it's over now I didn't really liked the end. A short movie and after that the credits. I know there will be a sequel, but we have to wait a long time for that. I think at least 1 year. That's sooo long ;( I can't wait to find out what happened with diego etc. And especially Milten, who's in big trouble i guess And Xardas. Was he healed when the barrier broke?

I want a sequel NOW!
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:15 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Listen, BOY! Let me stop you before you make a total asshole out of your adolescent self. Before you go pissn’ on somebody, make sure your fly is open. A quick background…I’m 44yrs and have owned two business (sold both) so far, so I think I know a little bit about what I am talking about. The one thing about emotionally undeveloped people is that they speak without thinking. When you start to use the head on your shoulders for conversations instead of the one in your pants, I’ll talk to you about this. Until then, I am going to ignore your comments r0otZ for childish babble and move on.

JemyM,
I’m not saying that Gothic wasn’t totally worth the bucks. From a pure technical stand point it was superior to anything that I have seen (bugs can always be fixed) and if, as I have read, they intend to use the Creature engine when it is done, nothing will touch it. As far as project budgeting is concerned, I again realize, that some projects fall victim to cost overruns. But when you are doing something the pushes the envelope in a certain area, I think you owe it to yourself and you clients to try and produce a finished product.

I will wait just like everyone else for the sequel to Gothic. And buy it when it hits the streets, just like everyone else. I just hope that PB learns from this experience and line up enough financing to complete the next Gothic in its entirety. I also feel that any backer worth talking to will be smart enough to see where they are trying to go and make sure that they have the means to get there.

Sylvio
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:04 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

With the sucess of Gothic (And I claim that it is a sucess) I think they will get enough money for it. This game took about 3 years to develop. Taking a look upon the credits list, and calculating payments for all thoose people, each month in three years I am convinced that one day the game MUST be released, and not a month later.

Best Regards
JemyM

Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:13 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

We were going through something like this last year. We were trying to get money to expand our company and we had Brown Bros. Harriman representing us. We almost had it too…then the bottom fell out of the Tech/Internet market and nobody would touch us. But we persevered and know it looks like the co. will sell first qtr. ’02. If you look at the credits closely, you’ll notice that quite a few were consultants. What I’m trying to say here is, where there is a will there is a way.

Sylvio
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:58 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Get enough money from the project, and try to do better next time (at least securing the income)...

If I knew that one year ago, I would probably be one of the most important people on a company in my hometown...

But now I am a unemployed student. =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 6:55 pm

A open ending would be what this game needed, i still had many quest to solve when i slayed the final guardian, but i saved just before taking down the last guardian and went outside agian an teleported me to the Old camp, there i killed everyone in the castle including Gomez, but i this is something i would like to finish when i kick the Sleeper back to his bed.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:42 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

There are very few games that supports this. I can only come up with Fallout 2... But whatever, to compare any game with Fallout 2 is unfair.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next