English version?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

English version?

So, I think I've seen info about this somewhere, but could not relocate it right now.

I have not seen the english version yet in Finland. Is the english version released now? If not, when will it come?

I hope this is not again another Gothic-kind of "German version now, english version 6 months later" trick. Because it will again make one game unknown to most, especially if it is *great*. That happened for Gothic, great game ruined by crappy marketing and publishing.

Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:19 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

International/English version would be out on September this year. Don't know exact release date.

Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:56 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Yeah, I found that info on the JoWood official boards right after I wrote my message.

Well, my respect towards JoWood went a long step downwards again. :/
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:04 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It seem to me most smaller developer & publisher has these kind of habit; maybe because of limited financial resources?, or just plain incompetence on developer/publisher sides? Blizzard for example can release their games simultaneously in various languages.

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:11 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Well, that is pure incompetence IMHO. The fact is that if they just would make the initial version in ENGLISH, then more people would be able to enjoy the game. Now the players need to be able to understand german. The english version could be ordered internationally.

I just have to ask this: How many more computer game players understand english better than german?

That would be better for JoWood too. Well, this is just my five pyreals for this issue.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You guys are really funny.
JoWooD does what all other publishers except Blizzard also do: they cater their home market (here: the German speaking countries) first and then concentrate on the secondary markets.
Why should they release an English version without adequate marketing at a time when all rpg fans are playing NWN or WC3? Competing with these blockbusters in the international markets would be far too risky. In Germany they can be sure that the consistently good reviews (~85%, like NWN) and the word of mouth will sell a solid number of units.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:09 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I think they should wait with releasing demos when the game are released like a year after that you played the demo and thought, "I should buy this game!"
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:20 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
You guys are really funny.
JoWooD does what all other publishers except Blizzard also do: they cater their home market (here: the German speaking countries) first and then concentrate on the secondary markets.
Why should they release an English version without adequate marketing at a time when all rpg fans are playing NWN or WC3? Competing with these blockbusters in the international markets would be far too risky. In Germany they can be sure that the consistently good reviews (~85%, like NWN) and the word of mouth will sell a solid number of units.

Perhaps, but it still don't satisfy us outside germany CRPG-fans, does it???

Well you probably don't care, you have your access to this great game.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C

Perhaps, but it still don't satisfy us outside germany CRPG-fans, does it???

Correct. One of the few games which arenīt released in English first. Something to cheer you up: we got a censored version, yours will be uncensored. Not to forget that Arx (reportedly) is buggy as hell, like all JoWooD games Iīm aware of.
No seriously, this is just business. Their more complicated games (rpgs, business sims "*giant") are released months earlier here while simpler stuff like racing games or shooters are sometimes even released earlier in English. Negotiations with subdistributors are easier if you can say: The Guild -business sim- a dozen awards - 150.000 units sold through - average rating 83% - 5 patches applied. This minimizes the risk for both sides due to some hard facts about product quality and market acceptance. Of course it doesnīt guarantee international success, but at least the subdistri can be sure such a game doesnīt ruin his good name.

quote:

Well you probably don't care, you have your access to this great game.

Of course I donīt care!
I donīt have it yet because I donīt have time for gaming. But if I had the time Arx would be the game to buy. Somehow here in Germany Arx got very positive 85% while NWN got very negative 85%.
Arx might be a bit too linear and simple for your taste, though.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:10 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Something to cheer you up: we got a censored version, yours will be uncensored. Not to forget that Arx (reportedly) is buggy as hell, like all JoWooD games Iīm aware of.
No seriously, this is just business. Their more complicated games (rpgs, business sims "*giant") are released months earlier here while simpler stuff like racing games or shooters are sometimes even released earlier in English. Negotiations with subdistributors are easier if you can say: The Guild -business sim- a dozen awards - 150.000 units sold through - average rating 83% - 5 patches applied. This minimizes the risk for both sides due to some hard facts about product quality and market acceptance. Of course it doesnīt guarantee international success, but at least the subdistri can be sure such a game doesnīt ruin his good name.

Arx might be a bit too linear and simple for your taste, though.

Well, yes if it's really so buggy as some have written, I'm glad that we will get the english version later hopefully almost bugfree. You Germans can make another beta-test on the game for your spending money, so we can have a enjoyable game in september!

I tried the demo, and was impressed by the "atmosphere" the game got. I'm not to worried about, if it should be more or less linear, if just the story and gameplay is alright, and I think it got potential in those regards. As a huge fan of the old Ultima underworld games, I have been waiting a long time on a successor, and Arx seems to be the one who comes closest!
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:30 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I have played trough Arx, it is enjoyable. But sometimes i had the feeling that i was used as a beta-tester. (look at my posts in the Jowood Forum).
The game is a short but fun experience and i want an Arx Fatalis 2 - some more sidequests and less bugs would be great
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:20 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by HiddenX
I have played trough Arx, it is enjoyable. But sometimes i had the feeling that i was used as a beta-tester. (look at my posts in the Jowood Forum).
The game is a short but fun experience and i want an Arx Fatalis 2 - some more sidequests and less bugs would be great

How short is short? 20-30 gaming hours during all quests and turn every stone???
What kind of bugs are we talking about? Plot-bugs (story evolving), Graphical bugs (stuck in the corners etc.), or other?
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:03 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

playing time: one week or 50-60 hours

common bug: crashing to the desktop while heavy casting or loading new levels

some quest stopping bugs, because of a bad quest triggering system - Jowood will fix this in the next patch. (i hope)

and i forgot: savegames are to too big: 6.8 Megabyte for on save, this causes long loading times.

i would stop playing any other game with these bugs after 1 hour, but Arx is so good that i could not wait for the next patch.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:10 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok to the crashing problem. It seems to me that Microsoft is to blame for it in big parts. It became known this week that the DirectX 8.1 has severe bugs in its Athlon code which causes the games to crash back to the desktop if they use certain features. After applying the patch from M$ I haven't had a single crash yet.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:05 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

good to know, werpu ! i will try this M$-patch.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next