Why don't you like MMORPG's?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Why don't you like MMORPG's?

I’ve heard some ppl say they can’t stand the MMO’s and I don’t know why. I’ve played the single player RPG’s and they’re good and all but what I really enjoy about the MMO is the MM. I like walking up to another REAL person. The idea of having ppl in the game as smart as I am is fun, it in itself can and does add content to a game. It add a social aspect that I don’t get from trying to converse with an NPC in offline games. Some ppl are hard core RPG’s and have a grudge against the MMO genre. I understand that they might not like the game as the type of RPG it is, but I don’t get why the curse me for liking to play them. I’m no less a person, I like good Single player RPG, and I like MMO. Why do other have to hate the MMO, whats it doing to you. I think there are still plenty of good CRPG’s out and/or coming out. I don’t think this new genre is taking away anything. One guy I talked to say he, still, will not try any MMORPG’s. He calls the idea stupid, and he was livid about it. I used to love only RPG’s too, I don’t like action or racing, but I still play some and some are fun. Then when MMORPG’s first came out, I thought the same way, stupid. But now I’ve played them and they are a whole different fun. But my question remains in the Subject line….Why don’t you like MMORPG’s?
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:43 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

It's simple, really. Most of those who dislike the genre do so because they fear the pay-to-play model. They fear that eventually all games would be swallowed by it, and that you'd have to pay to play any game at all, which is a scary thought indeed!

But I doubt it would ever happen. It's still a possibility, of course. There is a huge amount of money to be made with the pay-to-play model. But there is also a huge deal of investment to be made before a MMO game can be created. And that's even scarier to most developers and publishers out there.

Regardless, some players still fear it, and will continue to fear it, and won't understand why we "encourage" the market into thinking that the pay-to-play model is better.

/shrug
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:58 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I dislike the pay-to-play model as much as anyone. But for $10 a month I sometime get to have as much fun as I have ever had. I spend $80 at an amusement park in one day. Total fun time for the day = max 12 hours. In one month I paid $12 to play DAoC and there were times - hours at a time went by that I was having an absolute blast. Total fun time for the month = min. 30 hours. (one hour per day). Thats a great deal to have a really good time and have so many other features that a MMO has over the Single RPGs. To each his own.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:11 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

The MM part of MMROPGs is only fun if the people that populate them are respectful of others' enjoyment, and play the game in a positive light. Increasingly these days I see too many "griefers" , exploiters and social inepts playing them.

I used to like MMROPGs as much as single player RPGs when the genre was new. But now, its actually the social interaction with other human players that can be off-putting. I dont think I'm alone in this sentiment .....
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:47 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have completely the opposite oppinion. I used to love MMORPG's when playing evil chars was allowed. Now they are boring as hell.

Here are the main reasons I no longer like MMORPGs (Only ever LOVED one, and that was UO)

1. Social interaction is practically non-existent. 99% of the people just run around leveling up and never talk to anyone. I blame this mainly on the terrible chat interface in 3D MMORPG's. I hate talking to someone in the game and having to look down into an box to see what they are saying, completely destroys the suspension of disbeleif.

2. Mindless leveling with no story. I dont agree that players can create their own content nowadays. Maybe this was true in UO where you could actualy do something other than make a gun or kill a creature. Players dont have any freedom to create content nowadays. UO would allow you to be evil, build houses, do lots of trade skills (not just combat related). SW Galaxies tried to copy this but they fell far short.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:50 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yup .... I agree.

I don't find the interaction ......ummm interactive

As you say, the dialogue in these games is either minimalist, or is comprised of pathetic phrases such as " mwuhahaha!" or "thats a m3g4 l33t sword man ....."

Just doesnt do anything to draw me into the environment of a fantasy world. The chat systems invariably contribute to the overall problem.

Sometimes I feel I could enjoy an MMROPG if I had the option to choose my fellow players
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:17 pm