Usergroups
Blade of Darkness is Cool!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Got him down... that took time, had to run to him, hit him, return to safety and save, and do that some times until I could target him and hit im several times until he died. Darn, this game is cool!
Post Sat May 24, 2003 3:59 am
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Blade of Darkness is Cool!

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
In my quest to totally ignore Gothic 2 until I am actually PLAYING it I went to check out some new games and picked up Blade Of Darkness from the bargain section.

I remember that Gig mentioned she dug this game a while back and several comments about Enclave (which I liked) always mentioned .."but the combat was nowhere near BOD.."

So I decided to check it out.

It was rough going at first because the default control scheme is confusing and the character responsivness is a bit clunky. But now that I have remapped the controls and sort of got used to the fact that I can't strafe in non-combat mode --- I'm starting to really like the game.

I am playing a Knight now and am on the Island level that has the tower. I am level 12 and have a copule of combos learned quite well. My favorite combos so far are the North Cross, "The Dream" with the Elf Sword, and the "Vampire Attack" with the Queens sword (which I just learned). Still trying to get the hang of aiming those arrows, though.

Let me tell you, I have never seen a more detailed simulation of swordplay than what this game offers. Bad ass combos, gore galore, blocking, dodging, stamina bookeeping,etc. Great stuff.

I guess its more action really than RPG, but at least there is some form of advancement and you do keep a consistent inventory througout the game.

Well anyway, just wanted to thank those who mentioned the game for the recommendation. It seems like I've got even more gameplay in store because I have yet to play the other 3 characters.

Now I'll restate what I mentioned in the Enclave thread.. If only there was a true CRPG with the combat detail we see in this game. It doesn't necesarilly have to have ALL the combos -- but at least some sense of finer control over your character during combat. For those who don't like this mix there could also be an option to make things more "automatic" if you know what I mean.... Gothic has this to some extent but it is not full blown.

I know its easier said than done. As a developer you have to make a choice as to where you are going to put your efforts, but given a huge budget and lots of talent, who knows what could be acheived?
hey how much does the Blade of Darkness cost?.. and really.. is it and interesting game?.. because other games get boring fast...
Post Sat May 24, 2003 9:02 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by RussiaN
quote:
Originally posted by elkston
In my quest to totally ignore Gothic 2 until I am actually PLAYING it I went to check out some new games and picked up Blade Of Darkness from the bargain section.

I remember that Gig mentioned she dug this game a while back and several comments about Enclave (which I liked) always mentioned .."but the combat was nowhere near BOD.."

So I decided to check it out.

It was rough going at first because the default control scheme is confusing and the character responsivness is a bit clunky. But now that I have remapped the controls and sort of got used to the fact that I can't strafe in non-combat mode --- I'm starting to really like the game.

I am playing a Knight now and am on the Island level that has the tower. I am level 12 and have a copule of combos learned quite well. My favorite combos so far are the North Cross, "The Dream" with the Elf Sword, and the "Vampire Attack" with the Queens sword (which I just learned). Still trying to get the hang of aiming those arrows, though.

Let me tell you, I have never seen a more detailed simulation of swordplay than what this game offers. Bad ass combos, gore galore, blocking, dodging, stamina bookeeping,etc. Great stuff.

I guess its more action really than RPG, but at least there is some form of advancement and you do keep a consistent inventory througout the game.

Well anyway, just wanted to thank those who mentioned the game for the recommendation. It seems like I've got even more gameplay in store because I have yet to play the other 3 characters.

Now I'll restate what I mentioned in the Enclave thread.. If only there was a true CRPG with the combat detail we see in this game. It doesn't necesarilly have to have ALL the combos -- but at least some sense of finer control over your character during combat. For those who don't like this mix there could also be an option to make things more "automatic" if you know what I mean.... Gothic has this to some extent but it is not full blown.

I know its easier said than done. As a developer you have to make a choice as to where you are going to put your efforts, but given a huge budget and lots of talent, who knows what could be acheived?
hey how much does the Blade of Darkness cost?.. and really.. is it and interesting game?.. because other games get boring fast...

Its really fun, but it is one of the hardest games I have played. Its almoust impossible some times...
Post Sat May 24, 2003 11:24 pm
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Its really fun, but it is one of the hardest games I have played. Its almoust impossible some times...

Hey Rawis but is the game itself selling in every store.. because im in USA Caliornia and I want to buy that game.. do you have any idea how much it cost?[/quote]
Post Tue May 27, 2003 6:40 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

in the uk you gan pick it up for £5, so i guess it would be cheap in the US as well

it is the best hackin' game ever

and the last level is scary!!
Post Thu May 29, 2003 4:01 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Damn... I got really stuck (some days ago), it was impossible! To many hard enemies at the same level. The game is now uninstalled...
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:34 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Russian:

Check the bargain section of your favorite software retailer. I got mine at the local Babbages affiliate (I forgot what it was called -- Gamestop, etc) for 14.99

Update on the game...

About a month ago I finally did reach the final level of the game and then I hit this problem:
(minor spoilers)

I think I am near the end, but my game is always stuck when I'm trying to enter this cutscene in the Abyss. It is shortly after you go down that long elevator ride... I haven't gone back to play it since but I figure I was near the end anyway and I did beat the "boss" guy before.

It shames me to admit that I kinda cheated a bit to beat those Minotaurs I was harping about before. I opened up the console and issued a Python command to set my health to the max. But it was just for that one time!!!

Anyways, that level seemed to be a plateau of sorts for the difficulty level. Soon afterwards I found more powerful swords and mastered some killer combos that helped me get to the end (well ... almost)
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:20 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

so you haven't met the boss's boss, the little guy in the mouth of a big guy, (man he was tough) you should try to fix it so you can finish it, it is worth it.

edit do you mean the bit when you go though a door and it goes to a weird camera angle??
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:34 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I agree

Severence: Blade of Darkness was one of the biggest suprises I've ever seen.

It's alittle light on story, but VERY heavy on action and eye candy. I'm usually a hardcore CRPG player, but this game had so much style and playability, it really amazed me.

Play the Amazon first, the 'special' moves with polearms are easier with that character, and don't drop the Trident when you find it.

Highly underrated, and highly recommended.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:40 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: I agree

Would any one here please help me run the game? I don't know why, but it seems that it doesn't even display the main menu screen. You can view the screenshot of my main menu here.

Do you know what is the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:35 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I liked Severance, the combat is AWESOME!

IMO, this game deserves to be the best action/fighting game ever made.
The only problem is that it's WAY too hard at times.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:47 am
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New at this

Hey people, i have just gotstarted playing the game.. but i do not know how to learn combos and how to do them.. i am level 2 ( just started) please.. if anybody knows something about this game.. please tell me.. thanx.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:24 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This may help...

Here's link that has screenshots of some of the moves, look through Section 4.2 for more information

http://www.geocities.com/phileosophos/bod/
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:55 pm
Kexin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
HELP!

I installed the game, im playing as a dwarf. Im at the tomb place, I have fought the burning skelleton boss, he was hard enough! I continued and now im supposed to kill ANOTHER boss that have 4000 HP and is twice my size! Oh well, im a dwarf, but still. My HP is really low, I couldn't find any potion, not even food. How am I supposed to kill this monster?

The game's difficulty depends largely on your choice of character.

Amazon=Easy
Knight=Medium
Barbarian=Hard
Dorf=Freaking impossible

As an amazon I was able to use my speed to almost never get hit and range to hack multiple baddies to bits with a single combo.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2