Boiling Point: Road to Hell - Review @ Gameguru Mania
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Boiling Point: Road to Hell - Review @ Gameguru Mania

My thanks to Radoslav Krehlik for passing along this <a href="http://www.ggmania.com/full.php3?show=5740" target="_blank">tip</a> re Gameguru Mania's recent review - compleat with a lot of "screenies" - of Deep Shadows' Boiling Point... <br> <br><blockquote><em>It's pretty clear that there are undoubtedly a lot of things you can do in the game. Unfortunately, the sheer number of bugs in the game is quite frankly uncountable. I'm quite sure that the game was nowhere near finished at the time of its commercial release. The game is poorly optimized to such a degree that the two necessary requirements for stutter-free gameplay seem to be a top-of-the-line PC and a decent amount of luck If you are used playing latest tittles in highest details (my rig : AMD64 3500 1GB dual DDR400, GF6800GT, Audigy2), well, this game will make your system run like an old PC Yeah, this game is a absolute resource hog! I've heard the game runs smoothly with 2GB RAM, but I don't plan to buy more RAM right now!! Besides there's no escaping the fact that the majority of gamers will have specs closer to my system or slower, and the poor performance has been reflected on the overall score. <br> <br>Despite all the criticisms, Boiling Point is hard to put down. It's a great game, but it needs some serious patching before a lot of people will consider parting with their money. If this game was released on a console in this state, it wouldn't be tolerated. If you're considering this title do yourself a favor and wait until it hits the bargain bin. </em></blockquote> <br> <br>Gameguru Mania gives Boiling Point an overall evaluation of 70%.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:02 pm

I have a lower spec machine (except I have 1 gb of ram) then him and I don't have problems running the game at full quality. I don't encounter very many bugs when I play the game, especially not enough to say they are *uncountable* and the only really major one is the car disappearing bug (I haven't used the patch yet so I don't know if that's been fixed yet.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:08 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game wont run on my system, I gave a 2.8 ghz p4, 1gb ram, gforce fx 5900, xp.

when I try and launch it it stops loading at about 75% through. So I would say he downplayed the bugs since BP is unplayable on my end.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:23 pm

It must be a problem on your side then since I can play it with a lower end system then you and have no problems. Most other people can play it also so you shouldn't automatically assume that it is a problem with the game causing the game not to work.
Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

I can play it pretty well on my 2.4ghz, 768mb RAM system, of course with a bunch of shit turned down.

Oh, by the way, this game kicks serious ass.
Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:23 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
It must be a problem on your side then since I can play it with a lower end system then you and have no problems. Most other people can play it also so you shouldn't automatically assume that it is a problem with the game causing the game not to work.

I wouldn't know since atari won't help me figure it out.

But since games I had no poblem with are slammed for bugs relentlessly even though they played fine for me I would like to see some consistency. I know, just from the atari tech forum that this game has given many many people a lot of problems. As I said, I paid full price for it and it wont work on my system (that exceeds min specs by far).

So since I paid full price for a game that wont run I would like the bugs and lack of tech support pointed out.
Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:40 pm
Mistoffeles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Even with a top flight system, you won't be able to crank everything up, but if you learn how to configure the game you can make settings changes to get the best performance from your rig.

I can maximize almost everything, on this system, which is virtually incomparable:

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce4 mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
2GB Corsair TWINX2048-4400C25PT
2x XFX GF 6800 Ultra PCI-X 512MB
various and sundry other pinchloaf

I can get acceptable quality and performance from this one:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000Pro2 mobo
Intel P4 Prescott 2.8GHz
1GB Infineon DDR266 (yeah it needs an upgrade to 400 but...)
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Atlantis
various and sundry other pinchloaf

It's just a matter of knowing how to get the most from what you've got, something too few people care to put the effort into as it involves extensive searching, reading, and editing of .ini and other files, plus more than fundamental familiarity with your video driver and its associated control panel.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger - J.R.R. Tolkien
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:27 pm