Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Finally going to play Wiz. 8 Some questions for the experts.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Finally going to play Wiz. 8 Some questions for the experts.

I bought this game a few years back but never got around to playing it for a variety of reasons. After hearing so many people rave about it time and time again, I'm finally going to give it a try. I've read through the manual and played for a few hours using the sample party. I'm just about ready to start playing for real, but I've got a few questions.

1. I want a party that will let me get the most fun out of the game, not necessarily the strongest party but a party that will allow me to experience the most from a role playing perspective. This is what I'm toying with so far...

1. Fighter melee
2. Monk melee and Psionic spellbook
3. Bard melee and support
4. Mage magic or...
Samurai melee and mage spellbook (Too long a wait to get mage spells? I heard you really need at least 1 pure spellcaster.)
5. Gadgeteer ranged and support
6. Bishop (Specializing in Priest and Alchemist spells) magic

I also might replace the Fighter with either a Lord or Valkyrie, and replace the Bishop with a Ranger. That would give me more ranged attack power without sacrificing any spellbooks.
I really want a Samurai because I hear they can use some cool swords and do major damage, but that would make my party very melee oriented and I was told you need Mage spells as early as possible.

2. I know that most Bard instruments cast spells and that a lot of gadgets also cast spells, so is it maybe a waste to have both a Bard and a Gadgeteer in the same party?
I've already made up my mind that I'm definitely going to have a Gadgeteer in my party.From a role playing perspective I really like the Gadgeteer and it would bug me to see all the cool gadgets in the game and not be able to combine and use them.

3. Do most people use phased or continuous combat? I find phased to be long and boring, but I'm having a hard time getting the hang of continuous combat.

4. For classes like Fighter, Samurai, and Lord\Valkyrie is it worth it to put any points in ranged weapons, or would I be spreading my points too thin?

5. For spellcasters, are you supposed to concentrate on a few realms or spread your points around? For instance, can a mage learn all the spells in all 6 realms of the mage spellbook, or is it better to just specialize and become powerful in certain realms?

Thanks for anything you guys can tell me!
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:09 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

>>1.

I would go without the samurai, you have 3 melee classes and a range class already. By the time you add NPC's you might have too many melee classes. Having said that a bishop can handle all your spellcasting needs if you want to be up for a challenge in the begining.

>>2. I know that most Bard instruments cast spells and that a lot of gadgets also cast spells, so is it maybe a waste to have both a Bard and a Gadgeteer in the same party?

I choose a thief in my party and expected him to be substandard in combat but he ended up being probably my most powerful fighter, I don't think the hybrids are any weaker so if you want both of these classes it shouldn't be a problem.

>>3. Do most people use phased or continuous combat? I find phased to be long and boring, but I'm having a hard time getting the hang of continuous combat.

I used phased for the entire game, there is supposed to be a utility that can speed up phased combat which would probably be handy in places like rapax castle and the cliffs where you can fight 30+ monsters at once.

>>4. For classes like Fighter, Samurai, and Lord\Valkyrie is it worth it to put any points in ranged weapons, or would I be spreading my points too thin?

Once they can no longer spend points in their primary areas. You can easily build up a few points just by giving them turns out of the front lines. Hint: There are also target dummies in a few places like the Umpani base which you can use to practice your range skills as long as you have an supply of ammo (leave it on continous mode and go watch a movie while your boys skill themselves up....).

>>5. For spellcasters, are you supposed to concentrate on a few realms or spread your points around? For instance, can a mage learn all the spells in all 6 realms of the mage spellbook, or is it better to just specialize and become powerful in certain realms?

You may want to pump some points into 1 area right at the start for the first level or 2 to get some spells quickly but you will want to spread it out long term. Your caster need to know all the areas to be successful - so they can cast a full range of protective spells and offensive spells that target a specific monsters weakness i.e. monster weak to acid cast noxious fumes.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:37 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You're in for a real treat. This is a great game.

As far as your party goes, there's no real difference from a role-playing standpoint which classes you choose to use. Pick classes that sound fun and go with it. If this will be your first time thru the game, I would recommend a couple changes to your plan that might make things a little easier. I expect you'll want to try out the game with a variety of parties before you're all done, so it might help to start with a "basic" crew before moving on to more exotic mixtures.

(these aren't in marching order, BTW)
1) Ranger (sure the ranged combat it nice and he might become your potion mixer, but this is all about auto-search)
2) locks-n-traps (bard, gadgy or thief - bards are best in early and midgame, gadgys at the end)
3) healer (priest or bishop - bishops take some practice to develop properly so you might go with the easier priest until you've got some experience with the game mechanics particularly since most of the good buffs are priest spells)
4) combat caster (mage or bishop - see above)
5) tank melee (fighter, lord, valk - lords are tough to develop, but it's up to you)
6) criticals melee (monk, sammy, ninja - ninjas are tough)

One other bit of advice--make sure you get the wizfast utility. It makes combat go much faster and you will wish for that after a while. I can email you the file if you wish.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I can't wait to get started on this game. Hey dteowner, the party you're suggesting is almost exactly what I'm going to have. The only exception is the Ranger because I really want to have both a Bard and a Gadgeteer in my party.

Fighter
Monk
Bard
Gadgeteer
Mage
Bishop

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with this party after a lot of thinking. I wish I could fit a Ranger in there as well but you can't have everything .
Is there a decent rpc Ranger I can recruit?
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:35 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Not really. If you want a monk, then I'd suggest the robot. It's the least skittish of the NPCs. It'll only refuse to enter one area. The rest freak out more often, so it's better to have your own of the particular class that you want to try.

Wizfast
Use it. Love it. Have fun with it.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:06 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks for the wizfast, I've heard good things about it. Hey, I have another question. Do the npc's that you can recruit have different stats depending on what level your party is when you find them, or are they always the same level when you find them.

Also, will I have complete control over the rpc's just like my own party members as far as battles and leveling up goes?

So you're suggesting that I go with...
Fighter
Ranger (instead of Monk)
Bard
Gadgeteer
Mage
Bishop

Can a Ranger be strong in both ranged and melee attacks?
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Pretty sure RPCs will always start with the same stats. You can control them just like a regular party member once you hire them, excepting their utter unwillingness to go into certain areas. The worst part of it is that they take a share of the XP, so you'll level slower.

Other than picking a couple up briefly for story purposes, I don't use RPCs.

Your party will be weak on combat starting out, but you will be able to develop them a little differently to compensate if you want to go with that buildup. For a first-timer, I'd plug in the monk for the bard (since you prefer a gadgy), or replace the bishop with a priest, or both. That said, the game can be won with any party combo you want- some will be easier than others, but there's really no buildup that can't win the game with some patience and thought.

And yes, rangers can be good in melee. Since I often put my rangers in the back of the formation, I find handing them a polearm can be useful- lots of damage and extended range. If you choose a mook ranger, there's a sword you'll find in mid-game that will turn him into a real beast (although he'll be pretty weak until you get that weapon).
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:23 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I really want a Bard in my party because I don't want to miss out on all the cool instruments I've heard are in the game. I've also been told that Bards end up being one of the most powerful characters in the game. How good is the RPC Bard?

As of now I'm leaning towards taking the Monk over the Ranger for the superior melee and Psionics. It's a tough decision because I want both of them. I think the Monk is a cool character to have from a role-playing standpoint, but I know my party will be weak in ranged attacks with only a Gadgeteer. I'm not worried about not having the Rangers autosearch skill.

Also, somebody from another forum said to make sure I have at least one female character and suggested I make my Bard female. Why is this?
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:37 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's a couple female-only magic items you can get early in the game that are helpful to characters that use stamina a lot (bards and gadgys in particular). Not really that big a bonus, so feel free to ignore it.

I would disagree about bards ending up all-powerful. At the endgame, bards are usually lagging a bit. They're decent in the early game and awesome in the midgame. Gadgys start weak and continue growing thru the entire game. Personally, monks seem to be the most powerful class at the endgame, although I'm sure you'd get a variety of opinions about that. Actually, a faerie ninja with the CoC would be the most powerful, but that's sort of a special situation.

You don't have to pack it all into your first try. Trust me, you'll replay the game at least once. I'm up to 6 victories, 3 Rapax Rifts, and well over 100 crews that made it thru the monestary.
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:47 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Great that you have decided to give it a try. Enjoy!
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:13 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

A couple more questions...
Should I bother putting any points in any weapon skills at all for the Monk or just concentrate on martial arts and critical strike?

This might seem like a strange question but I'm just curious, Do all the Bard instruments in the game actually play music, or do they all just have a general sound effect?
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:25 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Monk: Well, it depends on if you are going to be using weapons for the Monk or not. *grin* If you go martial arts, then you will be mainly concentrating there. There are some later game weapons that are nice for a monk though (staff). I usually find that if I am using a particular skill, then it goes up well on its own most of the time (given decent controlling attributes).

Bard Instruments: They play music. IIRC, some sound the same, but each instrument type sounds different.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:32 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I played Wizardry 6 to 8 with this party:

Samurai - I like blades
Valkyrie - this woman can cheat death
Ninja - combat & potions
Priest - healer
Mage - spellcaster
Thief/Bard - nimble fingers
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:33 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Ok, I have my party!

1. Mage (Gnome, Male)
2. Bishop (Elf, Female)
3. Bard (Human, Female)
4. Gadgeteer (Mook, Male)
5. Fighter (Dracon, Male)
6. Monk (Human, Male)

I think I have a solid party here, I know it will be kinda weak in the melee department in the early game but I'm not too worried about that. I have every major skill covered except for pickpocket. (When I made my Bard I just didn't seem to have enough points to go around, and I've been advised that Pickpocketing is not really a necessary skill in this game anyways. Comments?)

Also, any tips for managing a Bard? I plan on using most of my points for Music, Communication, and Mythology (in that order). Should I go Sword or Ranged with any remaining points?

I want to thank all of you for your help, I can't wait to get started!

Last edited by JDR13 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:18 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Ok, started playing a bit with that party. Man, this game is really deep!

Another question...

Where is the first place I can revive a dead character? My Bard got herself killed in the Monastary and now I'm walking around with a dead body. I'm assuming most people would just reload this early in the game huh?
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:49 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next