View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Patriot
Even if the game hits the stores tommorow, I won't buy it.Why should I do it.I allready, have it and finished it.
I have my doudts about the add-on .

The add-on is a thing of the past, for me.

If the addon does come out, what kind of message do you think you will be sending to the distributor by not buying it? Their "Money People" dont care about translation mods, all they care about is the bottom line.

By not buying the G2 Addon if it comes out in english, you are jeapordising the release of English G3 also...
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:33 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Why should I buy the game again since I have already have. I don't think I want to play game this game again just to hear some English voices. If some things where different I would buy it.

That's not my fault. That’s jowood's fault. If jowood wanted me to buy it in English she should find another publisher .Of course I'll buy gothic3 in English I hope otherwise I've to search for shops to buy it in Germany if I go there again. Of course Sowillo said he could send me the game via the post if I want it in German.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:55 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yes your right, its not your fault.

But that doesnt make the effects of your innaction any less real.

No one can expect you to buy the game again. Its just sad that it has come to this.

It was exactly the same with Secret of Mana for the Snes in Europe. They took so long to release a UK version that everyone had already bought the US Version, so no one purchased the UK version.

The "Money People" took that to mean there was no market for the game in the UK and they didnt bother releasing the sequel in English at all.

I can just see the same thing happening with G3
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:58 pm
noah
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I sincerely hope it comes out...I too have been waiting since October of last year to play Gothic II, knowing that there might be an expansion. I guess the saving grace is that I know I'll have a great time, whenever I decide to play...
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:06 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm a bit curious as to what is holding people back from using the translation mod.

For those of you who have waited this long only to have no add-on - would you consider using the translation mod now?

If not, what are reasons for dismissing it? Are the details about ordering and installing it too confusing and convoluted? Is it a purchasing issue (for example: no credit card)?
Perhaps you just don't fancy hearing German even with subtitles ...

Personally I feel cothyso and his team have done the English speaking Gothic community a tremendous service. I would hate for their work to be overlooked for the wrong reasons.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:05 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

I havn't used the translation mod cos I WAS worried about the language bit.

How does it seem - does it affect the mood of the game etc? What % of the language is subtitled in the whole thing? Especially the town in the 1st 2 chapters? I guess its not much of an issue after that cos the addon affects the 1st 2 chapters most doesn't it (as well as all the addon extra world, of course)?

The way PB seemed to obliquly encourage the translation mod (I believe) leads me to think they will be no english addon.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:49 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by jellylad
I havn't used the translation mod cos I WAS worried about the language bit.

How does it seem - does it affect the mood of the game etc? What % of the language is subtitled in the whole thing? Especially the town in the 1st 2 chapters? I guess its not much of an issue after that cos the addon affects the 1st 2 chapters most doesn't it (as well as all the addon extra world, of course)?

The way PB seemed to obliquly encourage the translation mod (I believe) leads me to think they will be no english addon.

Some facts about the translation mod:

- First and foremost -- Text for the *entire game* is in English. This means items, conversations, jounral entries, etc. Everything is complete -- there is nothing left unfinished.

- New lines of speech that come with the Addon are spoken in German

- Existing speech that was there in the original G2 is *STILL SPOKEN IN ENGLISH* . Yes, this means that there are cases where a particular character (Xardas for instance) will speak German and English. However, this effect is not a jarring as it may seem. The new Addon lines are integrated seamlessly into the conversation so no language breaks happen "mid sentence". Also -- remember that subtitles are on AT ALL TIMES and they are always in ENGLISH.

- The mod is presented and installed in a very professional manner.

- The mod does not intrude on game processes. No gameplay bugs or other bugs have been reported as a result of the mod. Many have finished the game successfully with the translation mod with no ill-effects.

I admit that I would still prefer to play the game with full English everywhere. But I found using the subtitles did not detract much from the mood and I could easily interpret different character emotions with the German speech. And of course, the mod has no effect on the great exploring and combat that we've come to love in the Gothic series.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:29 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I personaly have not tried it yet because I am too lazy to go through the hassle of ordering from a German company.

I have downloaded and stored the translation mod just incase it dissapears for some reason.

I am getting to a point that I will order it though. Due to concerns that the Gold edition will probably not be available for much longer. (I prefer the idea of having ALL speech in German and ALL Text in English, rather than some mish mash of both).
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:10 pm
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
The "Money People" took that to mean there was no market for the game in the UK and they didnt bother releasing the sequel in English at all.

Why on earth do the "money people" not have any employees who actually look around for what's going on in the market? ie dont they have ppl checking forums like this one to see when and if there are people interested in a game? or is it that they're not interested in small numbers of people like, let's say, the number of people that would browse a forum or two....?
this must be the reason, i think... but in that case they would really need a lot of advertising in order to release a game.... which i dont think was the case with the release of the english Gothic 2....
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:21 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
If the addon does come out, what kind of message do you think you will be sending to the distributor by not buying it? Their "Money People" dont care about translation mods, all they care about is the bottom line.

By not buying the G2 Addon if it comes out in english, you are jeapordising the release of English G3 also...

This isn't particularly realistic, now is it. The "money people" must have long gone realised there is no money in releasing the add-on this late. If this question was intruded six months ago, as Gorath mentioned, I would be in a dilema about what kind of an answer to give. But, it is quite obvious now there will be no English add-on on the shelves, ever. No matter what I, or anybody else likes to believe.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:42 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Well you can say that all you want. But my point is that what I predict has happened before. This is not something I am just making up off the top of my head.

Besides. It sounds like you assume I think the addon is going to be released. I did not say that. I said that IF it is released, then not buying it would send a very bad message to the distributor. I dont see how anyone can deny that.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
I am getting to a point that I will order it though. Due to concerns that the Gold edition will probably not be available for much longer. (I prefer the idea of having ALL speech in German and ALL Text in English, rather than some mish mash of both).

The current gold edition will be phased out. It´s replaced by a "Gothic 2 Limited Gold Edition". Official release is tomorrow.

I don´t think there´s any reason to wait longer. Be aware, though, that a handful people reported about CP issues in the last few weeks. There were zero problems with this in the beginning. Maybe Koch produced another batch of CDs with a newer CP.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:08 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
It sounds like you assume I think the addon is going to be released. I did not say that. I said that IF it is released, then not buying it would send a very bad message to the distributor. I dont see how anyone can deny that.

No, I can't deny that. But, I don't think it's like we owe anything to JoWooD or Atari or whatever, if you understand what I mean. If they ever figure their misunderstanding out and distribute the add-on, I would not feel like buying it. It might as well be pouting, but I have every right for it. Or, do you want to deny me that right?
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:08 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You can obviously do whatever you want. Just remember every action has a consequence...
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by jellylad
No, its not PB's business, but as they had gone to the trouble of making the thing, it seems logical to think they may try to make some cash out of it and so offering it for download would be the easiest way, I imagine.

As far as we can say JoWooD has the sole publishing and distribution rights, and they decided to give them to Atari. The second PB offers anything for download they´ll get sued by Atari and / or JoWooD.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next