can anyone play gothic2 in win98?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
evilknight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

can anyone play gothic2 in win98?

I can install it in win98 but the execution file hang in win98 when starting the game.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:03 am
Krasleto
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I rut it under 98 SE. I think you shoulda just lay back and wait ... The inital loading is 4 or 5 minutes .....
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:04 pm
nh4no3
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mine runs just fine in 98se. It just takes 2 years to load.

Just give it a while to load.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:01 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I have the same problem.

I click on the shortcut icon, it turns into an hourglass for about 4 seconds, then changes back to a pointer.

No hard drive activity, no CD activity, nothing! But when I Ctrl+Alt+Del, it says Gothic2 is running. No matter how long I wait, it doesn't do anything.

My Rig is as follows;
PIII 933 CPU
Creative Live Value sound card w/latest driver
Radeon 8500 Video Card (64 MB) w/Catalyst 3.6 Driver
512MB PC133 RAM (CAS2)
2-IBM 7200 RPM Hard Drives (1 System, 1 Storage, games, etc.)
14 GB's of free space on System drive
Cordless Optical Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder USB Joystick
Cable Modem w/Linksystems 10/100 LAN Card
Cannon Printer
50X CD ROM
LS-120 Drive
Windows 98 SE
Windows Media Player 9
DirectX 9 (DS90_Redist.exe - Supposedly, the Final Version)

UK version of Gothic2. (Bought it from GoGamer)

I've tried everything mentioned on this and the JoWood board, but so far, nothing works. Well, I have to take that back. I haven't tried going back to an earlier version of DirectX yet. Probably will tonight, since I found a utility called Direct X Eradicator, which can supposedly remove all versions of Direct X. (Got it from the Guru of 3D website, if anyone's interested). If that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

Evilknight, did you manage to get it running on your system? If so, could you please post how? Thanks.

If someone else has had the same problem and gotten it working, I'd like to hear how you did it. As it stands now, I've got 3 cool new coasters for my money! Not a good deal. Specially since I've been waiting for this game for some time now. Thanks for any help.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:19 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

first try to leave the game running lets say for 1-2 hours just leave it like it is i know the HDD dosent do nothing and everything else is like stopped but i had my celeron 433 onze and it did start many games after i waited some kind of hour ( u can go in that time to make some cup of tea ) .

If that didnt help then try to update the OS in internet there is a windows updater exe file and try to start the game after that
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:47 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well, I've reverted to the version of DirectX that came with the game using the utility mentioned above (works like a charm, by the way), and still nothing! I left it running for about 3 hours and still nothing. I give up. I can't think of anything else to try.

It is weird though that G1 works OK and the Gothic 2 Demo ran fine. I guess it's time to use the form over at JoWood's site to report it to tech support. Oh well.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:31 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

you miss the point that both of those are microscopic in comparison to gothic 2 full version gothic1 is like half the size, and requirements are about 3/4 of gothic 2's demo version, i dont even wann get into it, its so tiny
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:49 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

still i recommand u to change the OS cos win98 is really old and it eats up ram memory also pretty good in time my best uptime was with win98 1 week and 3 days and even this was with some kind of ram cleaner soft
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:44 am
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Firstly, I apologize for my poor English.I had the same problem when i started the game first time. After 4-5 minutes passed and the game started.The solution of the problem is a bit weird, I think. When you install the game start it first time and wait the passing of this boring minutes when the game menu comes; then exit the game; delete the "Vdfs32e.exe" under the "Gothic2\System\" directory (this act disabled the virtual drive that cause the waiting problem) Then start the game again; this time it should start without waiting. I am playing the game on Windows 98 SE with DirectX9.
The most interesting situation is Gothic 2 runs smoother than Gothic 1 with the same graphical properties. I am playing the game with PIII-650, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Geforge 2 MX video card. I played Gothic1 on the same system.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:55 am